INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about loudness & volume  (Read 1154 times)

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Question about loudness & volume
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:56:36 am »

Hi Everyone,

I never use MC's volume control to adjust volume. Instead, I just have this set to the maximum, and use my AV receiver's volume control (since I run all audio through the receiver). Two questions:

1. Is Media Center's new "loudness" feature still useful for me? It seems to only be effective when I use MC's volume control.

2. Should I have MC's volume set to maximum? Or is there a more optimal setting (when used with an amplifier)?

Thanks.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about loudness & volume
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:33:35 am »

You need to use Internal Volume, otherwise MC will not know your reference volume. You will then need to set any Windows and receiver volumes to max.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:03:19 pm »

You need to use Internal Volume, otherwise MC will not know your reference volume. You will then need to set any Windows and receiver volumes to max.

I think I was a bit unclear: I *want* to continue to use the receiver's volume control. This way, I'm using the same controller for any audio device (since they all run through the receiver). And, if I set the receiver's volume control to maximum, I'd destroy my ears if I forgot to reset it before switching to another audio source!

So, since I will be using the receiver for volume control, does the 'loudness' feature provide any benefit for me? Or is it only affective when using MC's internal volume controller?

Second question: If I'm using the receiver's volume control, should I have MC's (and the system's) set to 100%. Or is there a more optimal level for those?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:26:40 pm »

I think I was a bit unclear: I *want* to continue to use the receiver's volume control. This way, I'm using the same controller for any audio device (since they all run through the receiver). And, if I set the receiver's volume control to maximum, I'd destroy my ears if I forgot to reset it before switching to another audio source!

So, since I will be using the receiver for volume control, does the 'loudness' feature provide any benefit for me? Or is it only affective when using MC's internal volume controller?

Second question: If I'm using the receiver's volume control, should I have MC's (and the system's) set to 100%. Or is there a more optimal level for those?

The Loudness feature only works when you use MC's volume control. What it does is to provide some bass boost, a little bit of treble boost, and some other of Matt's Magic sauce as you turn the volume down. These affects increase as you lower the MC volume control. It is based on the Fletcher Munson Loudness curve which you can Google for more information.

Since MC has no way of knowing where your receiver volume is set it would have no way of knowing how much Loudness correction to give. That's why it only works on the Internal Volume control.

Others that use a receiver (I don't) may chime in on the optimum position for the MC Volume Control but I would think it should be set at 100%, unless that overdrives your receiver which would give distortion. In that case you would have to back it down some.

Rod

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:14:58 am »

Sorry, my answer was correct but a bit too short. nwboater gave the same answer as me, but explained much better.
And it is a good principle to attenuate volume only once in your audio chain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up