INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move all filetypes within a folder when renaming music files to the new location  (Read 1129 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Searched through the forum and didn't find anything on this...Is there a way to do this?
Could have a prompt after the rename to offer to copy and delete the old folder and move all its content such as folder.jpg plus the rip log. to the new folder (Like Mediamonkey)
Or within the Rename,move & copy files window offer extensions that could be moved along with the music files to the new folder path (like dBpoweramp convert)
(Such as .jpg;.txt;.log;.cue) etc...

thx!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

The easiest way to do this is either:

a) Use the Locate > On Disk (Inside Media Center) and rename the files from in the MC Explorer view
   b) Use the Locate > On Disk (External) and rename the folder in Windows Explorer and let MC's auto-import pick up the links.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Thx MrC.

I realise there's workarounds but I'd love MC to be smart enough to do this by itself. Especially if you want to do bulk changes.

Let say I'm renaming my files and folder within MC.  Shouldn't it be smart enough to at the very least bring the coverart along with the music files? I know there's workarounds but I'd love MC to be smart enough to do this by itself.
thx.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

This gets discussed a lot.

There might be more than a single cover art file (for example, WMP creates several files).   What should MC do with the files it does not own or are not imported?  WMP wants these files.  Or log files, or other files such as PDF booklets?

And what should MC do when moving some file fails - above the entire album rename?  Move some of the files and not others?  All of this gets into how to report errors and issues to users and then ask the user how to fix things up.  So currently, MC essentially punts.

MC is a file-based program, and manages things generally on a file level.  There are some high-level workarounds to do things like move MC-created sidecar files along with a rename (but there are bugs here).

So, it is currently safest to manage files in MC by importing all the file types you want to manage, and having MC move all of the folder's files in a single shot.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Understood.  However 2 "simple" things that could be there.
Bring the Folder.jpg file along (or specified file type such as .jp;.txt;.log;.cue) and offer to delete an empty folder.

(Sounds simple to me I'm not a programmer.. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up