INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV Files Not Importing or Playing  (Read 2405 times)

harryalder

MKV Files Not Importing or Playing
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:11 pm »

I installed ver 18.0.106 on three machines and placed my movie library on one of those three machines.  There is no problem with the two machines that do not contain the movies.  I was able to import ifo, mp4 and MKV file types without any issues on those two.  There are about 400 movies in this library.  If I click on file and look at the headings at the top, I see Location, Media Sub Type, and File Type.  On the two machines that are working correctly, I see all three file types mentioned above under the File Type heading and all movies show up in the library.  On the machine with the movie files only two types show up under File Types.  They are mp4 and ifo.  The MKV type is missing.  Also only 84 files show up as movies here.  All MKV files are missing.  I can not seem to figure out how to add the mkv type under the heading of File Types.  The MKV files are associated with MC18 under Video and are set to automatic.  They do not play when clicked on.  The message "The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback <none>." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Re: MKV Files Not Importing or Playing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:25:36 pm »

Sounds like you might be missing the MKV codec. My install blew out at that point. MC downloads all the required codecs on the fly, and with me, their server timed out for whatever reason. At that point, the MKV movies wouldn't play.

Try re-installing the program and see if that fixes the issue. Mine's working fine now. Wish I would have kept better notes. A re-install doesn't change any of your custom settings or require you to re-register.

Another option would be to clear the library, then re-import. I'd think that would trigger the codec download.

PS ... the file association matters not. My machine uses VLC Player as the default for MKV files. That just means VLC will open them on a double click from Explorer. MC will still import and play them with the file association set to off.

harryalder

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:22:18 am »

Thanks for the fast reply.  I tried reinstalling and that didn't work.  I then did an uninstall with the option of NOT deleting library files and then reinstalled.  That didn't work either.  I then cleared the library and reimported the library files.  It finished without an error but that still did not work.

I included the information about the file association because people in other posts seemed to be concerned about that.

I guess I still believe that it has something to do with the fact that only the ifo and mp4 file types show up when the File Types are listed.  The other two installations I have show the MKV type also and they work.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:02 pm »

Sucks to be you ... (hey, don't hit me ... I've been there!) <G>

Something else you could try ... I just checked and there's an update available on the "LATEST, MIGHT BE LESS STABLE" channel under HELP/UPDATE CHANNELS. Click that so it's tagged, and CHECK FOR UPDATES. Hey, couldn't hurt, right?

Where's all the gurus? We need a guru here!! <tap tap tap>

Another brainfart here ... have you tried opening one of your MKV files using FILE/OPEN MEDIA FILE? That could also force the issue and make it right, or at least confirm that MC has the proper codec and can play the file. Also, maybe a firewall issue? You could try setting that to minimum (your call ... feeling lucky?) and try another re-install. As mentioned, my MC18 install had issues too, and they seemed to be server related at the download site.

Something else you could try ... you don't necessarily have to be on the bleeding edge of up to date. I was playing MKVs on MC17 for quite a while, and the install went without a hitch on that version. Your license should work with all the older versions (back to MC14 if I remember right). You might even have a couple or three of the old installs laying about if you upgraded from a prior version.

Be sure to post back with a fix if you do get it working. Other enquiring minds might need to know.

Luck with it ...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:27:04 pm »

1) Make sure this option is not activated "Ignore files previously deleted from library"

2) Make sure MC is set to play mkv files

3) Make sure you are running Red October Standard, and if that works, Red October HQ.

4) Definitely upgrade from build 106 to whatever is available at the top of this board.

5) Can you play the mkv files by clicking on them in Windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up