INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not getting surround sound in Windows 7 via HDMI [Solved]  (Read 3416 times)

Zest

Not getting surround sound in Windows 7 via HDMI [Solved]
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:58 am »

I need some help with my settings.  I had this all working on MC17 on a different computer but I can't seem to figure out what's going on with this one.  I basically only have sound coming from the left and right speakers.  Here is what I know.

1) I get full 5.1 surround if I turn on bitstreaming in J River.  My receiver detects the stream, decodes it, and I get all speakers playing.

2) If I use source number of channels in JRiver and turn off bitstreaming I only get stereo being outputted to my receiver.  Meanwhile, audio path shows 7 channels in and 7 channels out with everything converted to 24 bit since my hardware can't handle higher.

3) Here is the biggest clue - If I use the windows sound test all sounds come out of the left and right speakers, even though I have options for 5.1 and 7.1 surround.  When I use these test sounds the receiver picks up a 7.1 or 5.1 signal during playback but it still only plays the sound out of the front right and left.  

4) Windows shows that my Denon can output 8 channels under supported formats. However under jack information it says "HDMI L R"

I have no idea what's going on.  I'm pretty sure this is not a J River problem but I don't know how to fix this.  Any help would be appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Not getting surround sound in Windows 7 via HDMI
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:49 am »

What kind of GPU is that HDMI connected to?

Is there anything in the GPU driver control panel related to some kind of weirdo HDMI audio mode?  I'm reaching here, and I'm not even looking at my HTPC which has a similar setup, but... I might remember seeing something funky like that on some GPU control panel somewhere.

Also, check the settings on your Denon.  If it is like my Denon, there are some wacky esoteric HDMI settings in there, and how they interact with the various modes on the Denon was tricky to figure out (and the manual wasn't much help).  I seem to remember one setting you could get it in that would lock it on stereo (which may not apply to bitstreaming)... Something with the surround modes button, or maybe the Direct/Whatever button?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Zest

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:20 am »

A lightbulb came on after reading your post.  My Denon had indeed gotten stuck in stereo mode.  It doesn't give you the option of setting the surround mode to "standard" unless a multi channel stream is already playing.  I ran the test tones one more time and managed to click it to standard while it was running the tones.  Thanks for the help!

Zest

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:51:05 am »

Spoke too soon.  Now I get the audio being directed properly via the windows control panel test but I still only get stereo out of J River.  My receiver isn't showing me "mult ch in" like it should.

Edit: woops nevermind.  Just needed to select 5.1 and no down/upmixing.  thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up