INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver for decoding external source?  (Read 3774 times)

slarti05

• Recent member
Using JRiver for decoding external source?
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:19 pm »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and actually currently learning a lot about JRiver's unrivaled capabilities. Mostly, I'm using it for audio streaming, with convolution. This works tremendously!

Still, one issue I just can't get resolved is that I'd like to use my computer for all audio purposes, ie also when watching a movie using my PS3 or an external sat receiver. But here is this the problem - I don't want to use an AV receiver or the like, so I need to route a Dolby Digital signal from the Toslink input of my (external RME Fireface) sound card to JRiver, and let JRiver do the decoding and audio output. The soundcard itself cannot decode DD.

In theory, I guess there would be two potential ways to achieve this:
1) Use the TV settings, and somehow tell JRiver which input to use and decode. However, there won't be any video signal input, so I couldn't get it started...

2) Use the loopback /  live playpack function. But I couldn't get it run either ( I managed to use loopback with audio streaming from WIMP however, so loopback does work in principle).

Could anybody please give some advice whether JRiver provides the general functionality I'm looking for, and how to set it up, if possible?
Thanks a lot in advance
Slarti

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Using JRiver for decoding external source?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »

What you're talking about seems to be more a Totalmix question than a JRiver question. But the answer re: playback of passthru signals from the PS3 directly thru JRiverback out via the RME = no. You can do it using other software or hardware setups, but it may well be cheaper buying a receiver and making your RME soundcard just one of the sources on it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »

JRiver cannot decode from external sources.

Here are some possible solutions:
1.  Get a Blu-ray drive/Slysoft AnyDVD HD and use your computer for playback of movies instead of the PS3.
2.  Have the PS3 decode and sent out PCM over optical. You do this under the DVD/BD playback submenu for the optical output. Use the Open Live > ASIO line-in to route the audio through JRiver from the RME. You will have to select the correct channel offset in the "Configure ASIO line-in" menu. For my Steinberg MR816x the S/PDIF input is on channels 17-18 so I would use an offset of 16. Channels 1-8 are analog inputs, channels 9-10 are DAW inputs, channels 11-16 are ADAT input, and channels 17-18 S/PDIF. You may need to check your RME manual to see what channels are used for SPDIF.
3.  Have the sat receiver decode (if possible) and send out PCM over optical. Similar method as #2. If you don't have two S/PDIF inputs on the RME,  I think there are S/PDIF routers that would automatically switch to the active source.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »

I just remembered that some of the Creative cards have a hardware AC3/DTS decoder. The X-Fi Elite is one of them. I don't know if it is possible to route the sound through JRiver, though, since the card's drivers output the decoded audio directly.

slarti05

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:16:11 pm »

Hi,
thanks for the quick reply, though the result is a bit of a set back...
I actually want to avoid using an AV receiver because I'm using powered speakers, and in my experience, pre outs, even in expensive AV receivers are low quality, and deteriorate SQ significantly ... (though I thought about testing the Emotiva UMC 200 as a fall back option, due to reports on its SQ)

Unfortunately, using optical input and let the PS3 or the sat receiver decode and provide PCM is not an option, because, as far as I know, Toslink has limited bandwidth and can only transmit up to 2 channels in PCM, but I'd like to have 5.1 sound...

Thanks a lot anyway!
Slarti

PS: Wouldn't this be a nice add-on feature for the live playback function? People could abandon AV receivers and really just use the PC for all audio purposes (and could use all external hardware...)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:16:51 pm »

Neyrinck SoundCode software can decode Dolby Digital and DTS in Pro Tools so it is possible. There may be licensing costs for JRiver that make is unattractive to add as a feature.

You could get something like the Gefen Digital Audio Decoder for HDMI. Send the PCM via HDMI to it and then analog out to the RME. Of course this adds an extra AD/DA conversion and isn't the best solution. I wonder if there is a DD decoder that can output via ADAT into the RME?

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:56:32 pm »

I'm looking for the same, trying to get directv DD to my rme fireface, or into JRiver. (My AV unit quit working). I was looking for something like the "HD Audio Rush ac3 DTS 5.1 Gear Sound Decoder" then put into line in. When I run stereo though JRiver it works fine, but when I turn on convoltion there is a sound delay and at times static or noise.

slarti05

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »

Hi,
Indeed, using a device like the Gefen could be a solution I haven't thought about. But then, looking at the price tag, one could achieve the same by using something like the Emotive prepro I mentioned above, and that would provide much more versatility....

I'm not sure I understand the first statemet regarding Neyrinck SoundCode. If I get it right, you're talking about a software decoder that enables JRiver to decode the 'live' signal, right? But isn't MC able to decode DD and DTS anyway, without further software? It's sort of a core capability for a software player, isn't it? And the input from Toslink is a digital signal, so compared to the current live playback, one 'just' needs to reroute the signal internally, if it is not PCM. What am I'm missing here?
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up