INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IP address/Parallels Question  (Read 2663 times)

Macattack

• Recent member
IP address/Parallels Question
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:49 am »

I have my setup as follows running the latest version of MC18 on a new Mac-Mini with 16GB ram, Windows 7 and Parallels 8. All this is connected to a USB DAC for sound output. I have the library loaded and playing but I am having the darndest time getting JRemote to connect.  I have a 2wire Gateway (DSL) router with everything connected via ethernet sans the Ipad, which I am planning on using for control of JRiver.  My issue is how to get the port to open on the router, I have port forwarded before but the problem I am having is which IP address to use for the port forwarding to 52199.  My Mac Mini address is a local ip, i.e. 192.168.1.xx and when I run ipconfig in Windows 7 thru Parallels it gives me an address like 10.221.55.x, from whatsmyip I am getting 108.221.92.xxx (which I assume is my WAN as it's consistent across my various devices).  So, I guess my question is whether to open the Mac-Mini's port or to open the port given to me in Ipconfig thru parallels in my Windows mode?  Furthermore, I can port-forward in Parallels settings too but am having a hard time figuring out the IP address to use there as well.  The things we do for HQ audio...

Thanks in advance and really enjoying the software so far.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: IP address/Parallels Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:30:30 pm »

Hi and Welcome.
from memory as my MAC days are not the most recent. Your windows setup is a VM (virtual machine). The default setup of parallels LAN-wise is that it creates a virtual ethernet port which connects to your mac port. That's why you see two distinct IP's. (and also why you can't connect with jremote).
parallels knows (if I remember correctly 3 ethernet functions : shared (default), bridged and host-only.
Try going into your preferences - network pane (or the configuration editor of parallel), under network adapter change shared into bridged. In doing so parallels LAN (and de facto de MC ip will be the same that the one of your MAC.
selecting then the ip of your mac for jremote this should allow you to connect.
Just a thought

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:45 pm »

VM software (including both Parallels and VMWare Fusion) typically gives you at least two configuration choices when setting up the virtual LAN adapter:

1. Shared
2. Bridged

Shared means that it runs essentially like the host computer (Mac OSX in this case), acts like a Router/Firewall.  The address that you'll get on the Virtual (Guest) OS will be a private IP, and the Guest OS will generally only be accessible via other VMs running on the same host.  This gives you outbound Internet access from the Guest, without having to mess with your real LAN/Firewall settings, but it segments the guest operating systems into their own "private network".

Bridged means, essentially, that the Guest becomes a full-fledged "member" of the same LAN that the Host machine is connected to.  It'll get its own IP address on the same subnet as the Host, and will show up as a "real computer" on the LAN for all intents and purposes.  However, not all network adapters and network configurations will play nice with this kind of setup.  In particular, if you have to do anything "weird" to get online (like you might on WiFi at a hotel, with one of those web gateway page things), since the Guest OS is a completely separate network device, it is treated completely separately (you'll have to go through the landing page again, in the Hotel example).  If you connect to a VPN on the Host OS, the secure VPN connection will not be available to the Guest OS and you'd need to separately connect to the VPN on the Guest (and you might not be able to connect twice with the same credentials, depending on your VPN setup).  It also makes sharing files between the Host and Guest OS more complicated, simply because it relies on file sharing to be set up to work properly on both machines' firewalls (whereas the Shared method handles all of this for you).

Because of the additional complexity, Shared is almost always the default (certainly with VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop), but you can easily change it.  Simply shut the Guest OS down, and then edit the configuration of the Network in the VM application to change the Network Adapter type from Shared to Bridged.  When you boot back up, it'll get an address on your LAN (assuming you have a friendly DHCP server on your LAN).  The network adapters (wireless and wired) in all remotely-modern Macs support bridged virtual adapters just fine, so that isn't a concern.

You want Bridged in order to use MC from within a Guest OS with full Media Network support.  It needs its own "real" IP address on your LAN.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Macattack

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:43 pm »

Thanks for the detailed responses, I will give this a try this evening and report back.

Macattack

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »

Solved folks, thanks so much for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up