INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: When will it be released? ... Feb 22  (Read 32551 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: When will it be released? ... Feb 22
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:39 pm »

Thanks.  It will be available for download on Feb 22.  You can install it on all "your" Mac's (within reason).

Watch this board for news.

wes

Re: When will it be released?
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 01:10:09 pm »

Yes.
Here's a screenshot of MC playing a high bitrate Apple Lossless file on OSX:
http://files.jriver.com/images/2013/apple_m4a_support.png

Looks great looking forward to it, will I have to reimport all my music?

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:50 am »

Hi Jim

Are you able to say whether or not the UPnP server element will be working at launch, as this is the only way for us to use the program?

Many thanks and good luck with the project.

Regards
Peter

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:01 am »

It's too soon to say exactly what the feature set will look like on Feb 22, but networking features are important to us, so it won't be too long after that.

Import will work as it does on Windows.  Libraries may be compatible.

wes

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 09:23:35 am »

I don't know how the window version works so what does that mean import will work same as windows?

I hope I don't have to reimport all my CDS I have everything in AIFF format 1TB of it :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 10:16:55 am »

Maybe you mean "rip", not "import".  I suppose Apple calls ripping importing.

You won't have to rip your CD's again. 

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »

Hi Jim, Hi Folks,

You know what?
I just bought some sort of music software for my Mac. They said it would be available sometime next week as a rough cut. Anyway, I just bought it, for the fun of it. Can't be worse than iTunes I thought and it might help the developers.
Ah yes, they call it MC for Mac, strange name.....

We will see how it goes, I'll keep you informed.

:)  :)

All the best to the JRiver folks and welcome on Mac!

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »

How many macs can we install it on?  I am looking forward to compare it with Audirvana?

Assuming the licensing works the same as the Windows version, you can install it on any machines that you, personally, own (within reason).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:14 pm »

All the best to the JRiver folks and welcome on Mac!

Christian

Nice to see you again!

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2013, 03:01:18 am »

Nice to see you again!

Thanks glynor, nice to be back...
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Pale Rider

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »

Got the promotional email from PS Audio last night, and put my order in this morning. Looking forward to trying this out.
Mac mini | PS Audio PWD MKII | BDP-105 |Decware Ultra Preamp | Decware Torii MK3 Amps | Decware ERR sextet | Taboo & Liquid Fire Headphone Amps |Audez\'e LCD-2 & JH13 Pro

dcooper2

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2013, 02:14:00 pm »

As a long time user of MC I would like to send two prayers up the development team's features pipe. First, steadily allow us to use iTunes less and less. iTunes remains the most sadly baffling product in an otherwise stellar Apple line. We need a full featured media player.

Second, while staying true to your amazing speed and efficiency we all know and love in the PC world, support some of the really nice things OSX brings to our media world. Like Airplay, Airplay Mirroring and non-linked updating of iOS devices.

I'm so pulling for this release to be amazing. Congratulations on your impending launch.

xluorp

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »

I just got on board and purchased a license.  Been a JRiver user for years.  I have both Mac and Windows machines using NAS for music files.  I hope they play nice together.

cubbie5150

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:04 pm »

Long time Mac user here...  I've never used a J River product; I've been locked into Apple's ecosystem for so long, my heart was actually palpitating while I was purchasing the intro-priced license for Mac MC. =)

Anywho, I figure for $25, I'll give this public beta a shot.  It can't be any worse than what iTunes has become.  And I've heard great things about J River in general, & MC in particular, on forums like head-fi.  I'd like to find a "better sounding" software player.

flac.rules

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2013, 12:53:54 am »

Just to be sure, the Mac license is a totally different product? You don't get a mac-license if you have a windows-license, or any kind of lower price if you have a windows-version?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 06:48:29 am »

Just to be sure, the Mac license is a totally different product? You don't get a mac-license if you have a windows-license, or any kind of lower price if you have a windows-version?
Correct.  Separate and the Mac license is the same price for all (at this time).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:40 am »

Long time Mac user here...  I've never used a J River product; I've been locked into Apple's ecosystem for so long, my heart was actually palpitating while I was purchasing the intro-priced license for Mac MC. =)

Anywho, I figure for $25, I'll give this public beta a shot.  It can't be any worse than what iTunes has become.  And I've heard great things about J River in general, & MC in particular, on forums like head-fi.  I'd like to find a "better sounding" software player.
Welcome and thanks for the purchase.  Please be patient with us for the first few months.  It will be a little ragged sometimes.  Let us know what you find and we can usually fix it.

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 07:12:25 am »

Correct.  Separate and the Mac license is the same price for all (at this time).

You really ought to give a discount to exisitng Windows licensees.

Do you anticipate it will run on an ipad in due course?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:52 am »

Do you anticipate it will run on an ipad in due course?
Macintosh programs are unable to run natively on iPads/iPhones--different processor architectures...

However, I believe they are hoping to include much of the current Windows network/server/client functionality in the Mac version (though probably not at first). If the Mac version becomes a full-fledged DLNA citizen, then some of the already-existing iPad control options will work great--the Windows version has a built-in feature called WebRemote to allow you to control MC; there's also WebPlay built-in; and I've just been turned on to the 3rd party app JRemote--check it out at the iPad app store...

brad

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 11:11:09 am »

We released a partly broken Mac version to the beta board on Friday and got a lot of useful feedback.  There are still lots of problems and unimplemented features, and the minimum OS is apparently 10.7 at this time.

The feedback was generally encouraging.  Most installations went reasonably well.  Import worked.  Playback worked for most music codecs.  The exceptions are ogg and wavepack.  No encoders are working yet.

The program still looks like the Windows version, but we plan to tune it a little for Mac.

Switching views doesn't work.  Volume control in the program doesn't work, but the Mac volume control does.  There were a few crashes.

We will put out a couple more of these "pre-alpha" builds on the beta board, and then release an alpha version on this board on Friday, February 22.  

REShaman

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:08 am »

Jim,
Thank you for the update. If this is the wrong thread for my question/comment, please excuse my "newness" to the forum which I only joined several days ago.

If I may, in contemplation as a pre-order license purchaser for the possible release on February 22nd which I understand is not carved in concrete, but may be subject to "Is it soup, yet", for Mac user's like myself who have 3,000+ albums using Amarra Symphony (and all the rest, i.e., Audirvana Plus, BitPerfect, Decibel, Fidelia, Pure Music, is there any concern that our present library(ies) and preferred software player may be compromised by/when/after installing the intended release? Aside from a prudent backup of the music library, are there changes to any essential Mac software OSX, Core Audio, whatever that installation of JRMCM-18 may affect that returning to the earlier setup would be compromised. Excuse my pointed question if it has been asked before and elsewhere, admittedly I have not yet researched this forum in advance, but your post today prompts my question.
Thank you in advance for any insight by way of reply,
Richard

musicman59

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 12:11:21 pm »

I have been using Audirvana Plus with a Mac mini and really like it BUT I have heard so much about how good JRiver sounds in Windows that I just got in to the "early birds" this weekend.
It's gong to be fun.....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:44 pm »

... is there any concern that our present library(ies) and preferred software player may be compromised by/when/after installing the intended release?
There should be no problems, but it is not possible to be certain.  You could wait a few days to install if you're concerned.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »

We released a partly broken Mac version to the beta board on Friday and got a lot of useful feedback.  There are still lots of problems and unimplemented features, and the minimum OS is apparently 10.7 at this time.

The feedback was generally encouraging.  Most installations went reasonably well.  Import worked.  Playback worked for most music codecs.  The exceptions are ogg and wavepack.  No encoders are working yet.

The program still looks like the Windows version, but we plan to tune it a little for Mac.

Switching views doesn't work.  Volume control in the program doesn't work, but the Mac volume control does.  There were a few crashes.

We will put out a couple more of these "pre-alpha" builds on the beta board, and then release an alpha version on this board on Friday, February 22.  

I'd just like to confirm this.  Two minor points (to the positive) about what Jim reported above:
1. switching views worked mostly-fine for me on Mountain Lion.
2. Internal volume control works fine.  System volume control doesn't (though bringing system volume up and down normally through the OS works, of course).

There are certainly a few issues, and parts of the UI don't work right (or do anything at all), but I was very pleasantly surprised with how well basic functionality worked.  Most importantly: It does not, at all, "feel like" a "translation layer" was inserted.  Speed feels completely native.

I tested: MP3 (both "new style" LAME VBR and "who knows where they're from" CBR old ones), M4A (from the iTunes store), FLAC, and APE, so far.  Everything worked well except when I tried my weirdo multichannel OGM files (which Jim mentioned above).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 02:59:07 pm »

1. switching views worked mostly-fine for me on Mountain Lion.

It's Mini View, Display View, and Theater View that aren't working correctly yet.

Mini View and Display View won't be hard, but Theater View will require switching to OpenGL so won't happen for a while.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

REShaman

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »

There should be no problems, but it is not possible to be certain.  You could wait a few days to install if you're concerned.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Prudence at this stage is warranted. There appears to be enough brave souls to set an example for the rest us to follow. I have been a beta tester for Amarra Symphony since 2011. Perhaps that will also serve the interests of JRMCM18 as well.
Best,
Richard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »

It's Mini View, Display View, and Theater View that aren't working correctly yet.

Mini View and Display View won't be hard, but Theater View will require switching to OpenGL so won't happen for a while.

Ahh, yes, I misunderstood.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2013, 03:41:27 am »

I'm a n00b to JRiver and have waited for this Mac version for a while now.

My question is (and I realize there may not BE an answer, yet) When will OSX 10.6 be a viable option?

I ask because while I could update, if there is no short term reason to, then I'll stick with what I'm currently running (10.68).

Thanks in advance for any info.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

bpmcrae

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 07:15:35 am »

Ditto to above. Actually thinking I probably just stuffed up as I'm running a PowerPc G5 with OS 10.5.8, as high has I can go, and I just bought a licence as I've been looking forward to the Mac version. Sounds like I might have wasted my money?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:07 am »

We don't know yet where the dividing line will be.

pirogallo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:23 am »

We don't know yet where the dividing line will be.
I strongly hope that Snow Leopard will be included. on my macbook I can not install more.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:06 am »

Ditto to above. Actually thinking I probably just stuffed up as I'm running a PowerPc G5 with OS 10.5.8, as high has I can go, and I just bought a licence as I've been looking forward to the Mac version. Sounds like I might have wasted my money?

PowerPC won't work, unless I'm totally crazy.

This will (as with most new things anymore on OSX) require an Intel Mac.

lemonpie

• Recent member
Apple AppStore
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »

Hi there!

Great, that JRiver finally creates a Mac version of MediaCenter. :-)

Will the software be available in Apple AppStore? Would prefer an AppStore version, due to update process...

Cheers!

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Apple AppStore
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 01:51:14 pm »

Great, that JRiver finally creates a Mac version of MediaCenter. :-)

Will the software be available in Apple AppStore?
Not anytime soon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 02:06:17 pm »

My question is (and I realize there may not BE an answer, yet) When will OSX 10.6 be a viable option?

I ask because while I could update, if there is no short term reason to, then I'll stick with what I'm currently running (10.68).

I tested the pre-alpha they released over the weekend on 10.6.8 (despite them telling us "This requires 10.7+").

It is not completely broken.  However, it is certainly WAY more rough on Snow Leopard than it is on Mountain Lion.  There are quite a few additional UI glitches and graphical problems right now.  I'd call the current pre-alpha "in the realm of usable" on Mountain Lion.  By no means a complete product at this point, but "close".  You can see the flag sticking out of the hole way up ahead, anyway.  Whereas on Snow Leopard, it isn't completely and utterly broken (I did get it to play music), but I'd call it "unusable" currently.

I did not test Lion, though I'd expect that to be closer to ML than SL.

Now, I'd like to just reiterate...

I know there is a lot of excitement over this.  That's great!  However, please, please, please keep in mind:

When this comes on Friday-ish, this will be an ALPHA QUALITY RELEASE.  That means:

1. Don't depend on it for day-to-day activities.
2. Large swaths of functionality will be broken or incomplete.
3. UI Design is NOT final (in any way - it currently looks essentially identical to the Windows version).*
4. It is going to change rapidly during development.  They will PROBABLY make changes that will require you to reset your Library to defaults and start over at some point, and other stuff like that.

Consider it a "test release" that is fun to play with, and in a few months, you should have a nice (perhaps still Beta-quality) release that you should be able to actually use.  Great, you got the early-bird deal and you got to help them craft a better product.

However, don't evaluate this build (or any others coming over the next few weeks/months) as "representative of the final product".  Again, this is ALPHA.  If you have never participated in a beta/alpha trial before, you may need to reset expectations.

* However, I did get Lucida Grande as my Standard View font.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:30 pm »

but Theater View will require switching to OpenGL so won't happen for a while.

No no.  Just whip up an OpenGL wrapper for the entire DirectX API.  That'd be more convenient for me, and then I could use it to run games too.

KThanxBye!  ;) ;D

Rogerdn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 08:01:10 pm »

I strongly hope that Snow Leopard will be included. on my macbook I can not install more.

Ditto

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:10 am »

Whereas on Snow Leopard, it isn't completely and utterly broken (I did get it to play music), but I'd call it "unusable" currently.

I should add... I'm not privy to the technical details of how much work it will be to get the problems with Snow Leopard fixed.  They do seem to be mostly GUI and graphical in nature, not core functionality.  But that could vary wildly from easy-peasy to bag-of-hurt.  The issue with pinning it down is, I think, that they don't really know (for sure) either which it is.

In any case, they've been in "get it working at all" mode.  Figure out how to make it work better in other cases is a later phase.  Right now, if having Snow Leopard support is a dealbreaker, then don't click buy.  We'll know more in a few weeks I expect.

I will be testing it on Snow Leopard.  So we'll know the deal.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:18 am »

Thanks for the details.

I kinda figured this release would be 'iffy' and right now there are so many other more important things to worry about I wasn't holding my breath for 10.6.8.

So since I'm not in a hurry I'll wait and see how this plays out.  And I'll prep a 10.7 boot volume on one of my spare partitions, just because.

JJ

I tested the pre-alpha they released over the weekend on 10.6.8 (despite them telling us "This requires 10.7+").

It is not completely broken.  However, it is certainly WAY more rough on Snow Leopard than it is on Mountain Lion.  There are quite a few additional UI glitches and graphical problems right now.  I'd call the current pre-alpha "in the realm of usable" on Mountain Lion.  By no means a complete product at this point, but "close".  You can see the flag sticking out of the hole way up ahead, anyway.  Whereas on Snow Leopard, it isn't completely and utterly broken (I did get it to play music), but I'd call it "unusable" currently.

I did not test Lion, though I'd expect that to be closer to ML than SL.

Now, I'd like to just reiterate...

I know there is a lot of excitement over this.  That's great!  However, please, please, please keep in mind:

When this comes on Friday-ish, this will be an ALPHA QUALITY RELEASE.  That means:

1. Don't depend on it for day-to-day activities.
2. Large swaths of functionality will be broken or incomplete.
3. UI Design is NOT final (in any way - it currently looks essentially identical to the Windows version).*
4. It is going to change rapidly during development.  They will PROBABLY make changes that will require you to reset your Library to defaults and start over at some point, and other stuff like that.

Consider it a "test release" that is fun to play with, and in a few months, you should have a nice (perhaps still Beta-quality) release that you should be able to actually use.  Great, you got the early-bird deal and you got to help them craft a better product.

However, don't evaluate this build (or any others coming over the next few weeks/months) as "representative of the final product".  Again, this is ALPHA.  If you have never participated in a beta/alpha trial before, you may need to reset expectations.

* However, I did get Lucida Grande as my Standard View font.
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

pirogallo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2013, 04:37:07 am »

Right now, if having Snow Leopard support is a dealbreaker, then don't click buy.  
it's too late ... already did!  ;D
We'll know more in a few weeks I expect.

I will be testing it on Snow Leopard.  So we'll know the deal.
Thanks a lot.

satbaba

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:57 am »

purchased my license,I'm waiting on 22 February :)
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2013, 05:46:00 am »

Purchased...

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:09 am »

Purchased!  Excited to use the software.  Regardless of it's initial functionality, it's probably going to run my DAC better than its current software.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

Purchased, even though I'm switching to Linux permanently before the year is up. I need this until then, though ;D
Keeping my fingers crossed for a Linux version too, at some point :)

Barronius

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2013, 03:24:21 pm »

I'm excited about the new Mac version and as a Mac user, I've admired the Windows product for awhile. However, I'm a bit concerned that the Mac version is not native and will not behave as a Mac user would expect, nor take advantage of the Cocoa programming frameworks that allow most native Mac apps to perform to their fullest capabilities. Looking at the screen shots, I see that the menus are integrated into the app's main window instead of being located at the top of the screen and the resize buttons are definitely Windows like and on the right side rather than the Mac's sideways "stoplight" buttons which appear on the left side of a window. Do future plans include creating a native Mac app (Objective-C)?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2013, 03:30:45 pm »

Do future plans include creating a native Mac app (Objective-C)?

It's a fully native application.  MC is primarily C++ (more than one million lines of code).

There is some SSE for some performance critical sections and also some Objective-C on OSX for Cocoa work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:29 pm »

Looking at the screen shots, I see that the menus are integrated into the app's main window instead of being located at the top of the screen and the resize buttons are definitely Windows like and on the right side rather than the Mac's sideways "stoplight" buttons which appear on the left side of a window.

Also, note that the UI of the Mac version is not final.  They are at pre-alpha status right now, and have been primarily concerned with getting the product working on OSX, not with UI or design issues.  There is another thread where Jim addresses some of these concerns (or, at least, acknowledges them) and where others have voiced similar requests/concerns over the design of the UI.

So, the short answer is:  Not right now, while it is alpha.  It will change to be more macish in the future, but exactly where version 1 (aka 18) lands is still up in the air.

For the longer answer, you might want to check that other thread.  In principle, however, many of us users (even the current Windows ones like me) are with you on those UI design points.

lunático

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:29 pm »

I've just purchased the early bird version but can't open the download. Is this because it hasn't been released yet? If so, how do I then download it tomorrow without paying again? Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »

It will be available tomorrow.  You can install it and restore your license then.

REShaman

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:44 am »

To All at JRiverMCM18 and to all of us eagerly awaiting the release of the first beta, Good Fortune with the new release later today. I happen to be up and on the internet and thought to post a warm welcome. Much success to all of us as creators and users.
Best,
Richard
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up