INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More visible clip warning?  (Read 1496 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
More visible clip warning?
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »

I use replay gain and also different equalizer setups depending on if I use my better or cheaper headphones and so on. It has happened more than once I've after a while have noticed some slight clipping because I' haven't set equalizer pre amp setting low enough or the volume leveling adjustments just a tad too high.

There is a clip indicator when the dsp studio is open. But I wish for a more visible clip indicator. Why not have the dsp button that turns blue when bit perfect turn red when clip occurs?

I actually think a lot of people using eq and rg have occasional clipping without understanding that that is happening.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: More visible clip warning?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:57:06 pm »

Nice idea :)

Just for my understanding: clipping is prevented when "Clip Protection" is selected instead of "Flat line overflows", right? So (if added in future builds) the 'red button' should never appear with this setting?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »

This is a good idea.

Clip protection does as good of a job as possible, but you still don't really want to overdrive the signal.

You could also get yourself some extra headroom by switching to Internal Volume:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Internal_Volume_Headroom
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dean70

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »

It is surprising how often clipping is baked into the source recording. I run the VST plugin Voxengo SPAN which tells you how many samples are clipped & it can be quite high in some material.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:55 am »

This is a good idea.

Clip protection does as good of a job as possible, but you still don't really want to overdrive the signal.

You could also get yourself some extra headroom by switching to Internal Volume:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Internal_Volume_Headroom

Clip protection doing a good job is a reason to get this info at a glance since it's not always obvious that you are overdriving occasionally. If I had golden ears I would always know,  even at a ever so slight overdrive. But I don't. ;-) :-D

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:30:10 am »

You could also get yourself some extra headroom by switching to Internal Volume
I've tried this (partly to get the nice new loudness functionality :) ) but when using the internal volume I need to keep the system volume up high and that makes it slightly complicated when using other software (sound editors and tons of other stuff). 

This is a good idea.

Hoping to see a red blink in addition to the blue color in some future version of MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up