INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video too dark sometimes  (Read 1954 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Video too dark sometimes
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:08:13 am »

It doesn't happen very often and because of that I'm not sure how to troubleshoot or even report it correctly.

Sometimes I start a movie and it's too dark. I check the profile on my TV (Exper1, calibrated for the HTPC), switch to Expert2 which is a lot brighter and I can see its not right because I suddenly see a lot more detail in dark scenes but its washed out (due to how Expert2 is configured, not for the HTPC :P).

I pick another movie, one that I know very well (Star Trek, the scene where that enormous Romulan ship first appears out of that storm). That scene should have a lot of detail in the dark areas, and it plays good, I switch to Expert2 again and I see no extra detail in the black levels, its just brighter and washed out - good.

I go back to the movie that was too dark, and it now suddenly plays at the correct brightness.

I've not noticed this happening to the same movies, its seemingly random but it has happened a few times already. At first I thought it was me, that I thought it was too dark but maybe it wasn't ... but now I know for sure, because it just happened again and I was paying attention. But because the video was already playing I couldn't enable/reset logging.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If not, how should I troubleshoot this?

I think I once read something about MadVR not picking up the correct color space settings or something .. could this issue be related to that?

LetsGetSilly

• Recent member
Re: Video too dark sometimes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:54:25 pm »

I have the same issue. I find it difficult to see many of the dark portions of The Dark Knight Rises.

I don't see anywhere to address this issue in the software. I'll be following your post to see if there is any response.

In the meantime, are you aware of how to reset the video settings in MC 18?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video too dark sometimes
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:13:21 am »

Ow ... that's an old post.

My issues have long since been solved.

I don't even remember if this issue was on my old htpc or the new one.

Either way, I am now using a GT430 and I'm using the Madvr fix for full colorspace on Nvidia. I've configured Madvr for 0-255 as well and used video calibration samples to set up the tv.

I think, IIRC that the problem was with the Nvidia drivers not properly supporting wide color range; the madvr tweak tool fixes that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up