INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ChatGPT  (Read 1406 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
ChatGPT
« on: January 11, 2023, 02:59:59 am »

Just read that Microsoft is investing $10 billion in ChatGPT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChatGPT

I used something similar, maybe the same, a couple of days ago at a Google site.  It was very good.  Concise, crisp, very helpful.  Like asking a human who knew the answers.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: ChatGPT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 08:38:06 am »

Just read that Microsoft is investing $10 billion in ChatGPT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChatGPT

I used something similar, maybe the same, a couple of days ago at a Google site.  It was very good.  Concise, crisp, very helpful.  Like asking a human who knew the answers.

It is quite impressive.  For now the main drawback of these models is that they sometimes provide very helpful information, but also frequently "hallucinate" (which is what AI researchers call it when the models make things up or get things wrong) and they usually sound very confident while doing so.  In that respect (sometimes very helpful, sometimes confidently wrong) they're a lot like forum posters  ;D 

For now they're most helpful in areas where you know enough to check their work, which limits the utility to some extent.  I think copywriters and creatives doing piecework in general are in trouble though!  Many folks are confident that the models will improve with respect to truthtelling, and I expect they will to some extent.  But I think as long as the training set includes the entire internet there's going to be periodic detours into nonsense because we haven't solved the problem of humans "hallucinating" in the AI research sense.

For an easy example of what I mean, check out this example: https://www.engraved.blog/building-a-virtual-machine-inside/

There the author convinced it to pretend to be a virtual machine and it provided correct outputs!  Looks pretty good!  But when I ran the experiment myself, I found that it frequently provided plausible-looking but completely false outputs (hashes were formatted correctly but completely wrong, etc.).  If you didn't know better it might convince you that you'd actually built a virtual machine (i.e. that it was really running commands in the background), but it's actually just role-playing as a terminal and providing plausibly formatted outputs that may sometimes be correct.

Interesting times for computing!

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 11:23:02 am »

I've played around on the ChatGPT site.  I had a couple of surprising and interesting "conversations" with the bot.

Almost a bit frightening just how good it is.

Cybercrooks are telling ChatGPT to create malicious code
https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/06/chatgpt_cybercriminals_malicious_code/

AI conference and NYC's educators ban papers done by ChatGPT
https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/06/ai_conference_nyc_ban/
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 11:42:25 am »

... but also frequently "hallucinate" (which is what AI researchers call it when the models make things up or get things wrong) and they usually sound very confident while doing so.
Perhaps they could be used in Congress.  It might be an improvement.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 12:03:42 pm »

Perhaps they could be used in Congress.  It might be an improvement.

You jest, but there have been several attempts to gauge the "politics" or political biases of ChatGPT.  Take it with a grain of salt, but I found this article amusing:

https://reason.com/2022/12/13/where-does-chatgpt-fall-on-the-political-compass/

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 01:52:51 pm »

This caught my eye...

With ChatGPT, artificial intelligence and what it can do is suddenly all the rage. But an intellectual property lawsuit against Microsoft could undermine the future of AI before it gets off the ground.

But there's a dirty little secret at the core of AI — intellectual property theft. To do its work, AI needs to constantly ingest data, lots of it. Think of it as the monster plant Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors, constantly crying out “Feed me!” Detractors say AI is violating intellectual property laws by hoovering up information without getting the rights to it, and that things will only get worse from here.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3684734/this-lawsuit-against-microsoft-could-change-the-future-of-ai.html

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 01:05:11 am »

Consider this.  Who among us might be a chatbot?

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 01:47:32 am »

Consider this.  Who among us might be a chatbot?

On this message board?

I cannot say because I do not have enough interaction with the participants of the message board to come to a conclusion.

There are other message boards that I read, however, where your question would raise specific members, imo.

But, yeah, we are entering a new era online.  Will it be better, or will we regress?

=========

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 02:54:40 am »

Aha!

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 07:35:07 am »

Maybe jmone has already replaced certain somebody with AI...  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 01:48:14 am »

I think a JimChat bot would have only one answer.

blah blah blah Antivirus
JRiver CEO Elect

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 08:22:14 pm »

This is going to get interesting...

Microsoft announces AI-powered Bing search and Edge browser
Fresh off news of an extended partnership last month, Microsoft has announced a new version of its Bing search engine and Edge browser that will integrate ChatGPT-style AI language model technology from OpenAI. These new integrations will allow people to see search results with AI annotations side by side and also chat with an AI model similar to ChatGPT. Microsoft says a limited preview of the new Bing will be available online today.

Microsoft announced the new products during a press event held on Tuesday in Redmond. “It’s a new day in search,” The Verge quotes Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella as saying at the event, taking a clear shot at Google, which has dominated web search for decades. "The race starts today, and we’re going to move and move fast. Most importantly, we want to have a lot of fun innovating again in search, because it’s high time."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/microsoft-announces-ai-powered-bing-search-and-edge-browser/

=========

htnut

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 03:00:15 am »

I am certain AI will pollute the internet with double-speak, falsehoods and drivel.  I’ve already stumbled on a few websites clearly pasted with crap AI text answering common “google” questions just for ad revenue threaded in the paragraphs of double-talk.

I had invested in a company that wasn’t providing press releases.  Some on a forum were suggesting what the e company should say.  I thought I was being clever by asking ChatGPT to write a press release for the company.  It wrote a convincing press release including citing something the CEO announced which was MADE UP.  The CEO never said that.  I wouldn’t have expected to find such a fine line between AI writing a response based on actual things it finds on the Internet (which can also be lies), but to blatantly put words in someone’s mouth that it made up itself is scary.  After its reply, I asked if the CEO said that.  ChatGPT said no.  I asked it if it thought it was ok to make things up like that.  Its reply was that humans must be responsible to fact-check information. 

</doom>

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 12:02:50 am »

One of my concerns regarding ChatGPT...

It seems to feed its AI from what it discovers on "The Web."

But now, as ChatGPT becomes more popular, and it is publishing more ~things~ on the web, how is that not turning into an echo chamber where ChatGPT starts publishing things based upon things it has published?

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up