INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first time using 18... mini view is always on top, cannot click in browser  (Read 1914 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

I'm on newest version, ive read that only slim is available for mini skins... im trying to make jriver slim NOT be on top... i cannot click items in my browser because mini slim is always on top... where is the setting to disable always on top?

thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team

Currently, there's no way to control this behaviour. The work around used to be to choose another mini skin and change the setting there.

For now, far from ideal I know, but to turn off the "always on top" behaviour, you will need to edit the registry, bearing in mind all the usual registry editing warnings about care, attention and backups.

You need to go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 18\Properties
There, in the right hand pane, you will find a value called "Minime - Always On Top" and it will be set to "1". Change this to a zero to turn off the "always on top" behaviour. If you are in mini view when you make this change, switch back to standard, then back to mini to effect the change.

Now that mini skins are gone, I guess this omission from the "Slim" mini interface really needs to be addressed.

-marko

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.

Now that mini skins are gone, I guess this omission from the "Slim" mini interface really needs to be addressed.

-marko

I agree.

Fabrício, from Brazil.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

thanks, that worked...

ummmm gone? like gone for good gone? thats terrible news for the small laptops/screens, the slim is really huge. takes away all of your real estate. perhaps they will look into re-designing the slim so that it is slim.. like Blade, or paradigm.
*Crossing fingers*

glynor

• MC Beta Team

ummmm gone? like gone for good gone?

There was an informal "poll" when they announced some of the MFC changes where they warned that this was going to be broken and might not ever come back.  I don't think there was a single person who voted that they cared about the mini-skins, though there might have been one or two.  In any case, it was pretty overwhelming.

Jim did then announce a bit of a "rollback" from the initial list of junk they were taking away, though, so I don't know that you could say they're "never, ever, ever" coming back, but if so... It probably won't be in the same form at all.

You might want to try to learn how to build your own slim skin (can you do that?) to address some of your issues, though.  I don't think it is high on their priority list.

HTPC4ME

Maybe Marko would be so kind :) being you did such a wonderful job on black on blue and thats our family's standard skin of choice :)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=printpage;topic=49214.0

I'll pitch in for a case of beer =)

marko

• MC Beta Team

I was not fussed about mini skin's demise as I use the playingnow plugin and have no need for them. See here for what it can do for me...

The problem with this is that while I can share the plugin, I can't get round the licensing of the thing, and Rhinobanga has dropped off the face of the internet.

J River actually own the code for the thing, I wonder, if I made the latest working dll file available, could Matt at least remove the licensing from it?

xtacbyme,
I'll have a look and see if it can be squished, but I think not... I'll let you know soon...

marko

• MC Beta Team

Well, that was quick. The answer is no. The skinning engine needs to fit all of the slim elements on to the background, and if it's not big enough, MC stretches it to fit.

If we can get playingnow plugin up and running, creating a blade or paradigm replacement (with more functionality) would be eminently possible.

In fact, here's a screenie of a Blade port for playingnow I messed about with a few years ago, complete with handy tooltips that show what's next, and what went before for the previous button...

Set to snap to the top center of the screen, and always on display... very handy.

-marko

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Just a tip... I don't know if you've used this type of thing before, but I use the Spaces feature of OSX on my laptop and it is a real lifesaver for limited screen real estate.  Basically makes it like you have multiple monitors on a laptop.

Anyway, there are a bunch of equivalents for windows...  The a few of the most interesting I've seen are:
http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881.aspx
http://vdm.codeplex.com/

HTPC4ME

Re: first time using 18... mini view is always on top, cannot click in browser
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 04:17:49 am »

i really like that skin marko. i never seen it before.. it's nice having the ability to 5 star from mini view/playing now plugin. i also like the info popups. great idea! that way one never needs to open to standard view.

RichM1102@msn.com

Re: first time using 18... mini view is always on top, cannot click in browser
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:49:15 am »

Can't speak for anyone else, but the playitnow skin is something I really need.  The bulky nature of the "slim" version is the one element that made me go 18 days into the trial period before deciding to buy.  Musically, Media Center is outstanding!!!  And, while the various views are useful, the lack of a slim or mini skin that displays a reasonable amount of information is disappointing.  I actually downloaded the SDK and started mapping out how I would build a compressed version of the slim view - but PlayItNow is much better!!!  Let's hope the licensing issue gets addressed quickly and any changes necessary to make it fully functional under MC18.  BTW, I have the opposite problem.  Based on what I read here, I can go into the registry and change the minime setting to 1, and I will have it always on top, right? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up