INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker distance in Room Correction not working?  (Read 2853 times)

Jargon

• Recent member
Speaker distance in Room Correction not working?
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »

Hello,

While in the process of passing every function possible from my Onkyo Pro 5507 to JRiver MC18 I have come across a slight issue. Everything works fine but the the distance settings for speakers in Room Correction do not respond to any change.

When I change them in the Onkyo the changes appear in REW instantly. Am I missing something here?

I used Audyssey to set them in the Onkyo and then tried to adjust further for my subwoofers through JRiver. Do I have to zero them in the Onkyo menu for JRiver to work?

ashman5

• Recent member
Re: Speaker distance in Room Correction not working?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »

Agreed. I've noticed the same issue.

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:39:56 am »

Anyone else having the same issue?

It would save a lot of time being able to adjust "phase" on the fly through distances while in loopback mode.

Is this a bug? Has it been noted by the developers?

Yet, I think that I can't even make the delay filters in PEQ to work can someone check this out as well?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:31 am »

If I add a Delay in Parametric Equalizer, and apply it to only one channel with a large value like 500ms, it sounds like a round.

In other words, it's working here.

Does Audio Path show the effect working?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:04:25 pm »

oops! I just noted the reply Matt.

I will test as soon as possible and both what it sounds and whether it is working on the Audio path and will report back here although I think that the Delay application DOES appear on the audio path. Perhaps I need to add a big value to test "in my face" audibility.

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:51 pm »

Ok confirmed! The delay filter works properly and doing your test sounds exactly as you describe and it appears so through the loopback on REW.

What does not work is the speaker distance setting on any speaker but all the other features of the Room Correction section work beautifully and I am using bass management through there instead of my processor.

Another slight issue is that the test tones for setting the levels sound a bit "low" db wise. Does this have anything to do with volume settings? I switched to internal volume from now on but I still use the receivers volume as well so I might need to put this to 0db for the test tone to be heard at 75db I guess.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »

The levels tones in Room Correction are just to set relative levels. Recently JRiver added more advanced stuff under Tools > Advanced Tools > Audio Calibration. If you choose Volume Calibration there and hit play you can cycle through tones that are supposed to be 83 dB. Once you find what % in JRiver's internal volume equals 83 dB, then you can set that as Reference Level in Options > Audio > Volume.

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:29 pm »

Thanks mojave, it seems that I missed a minor update! I will download right now!

The tones were low since I was on -22db on the Onkyo and although Internal volume was on max this did not allow for 83db playback of the test tones.

BTW, is the speaker distance settings in essence the same as adding a delay filter in PEQ? I manged to improve the crossover area FR of the subs/speakers adding a 50ms delay (on top of the receivers distance settings) filter in PEQ.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »

What does not work is the speaker distance setting on any speaker but all the other features of the Room Correction section work beautifully and I am using bass management through there instead of my processor.

How are you determining that?  Have you set the distance for _both_ speakers in a matched set?

When I tested this issue I break-pointed in the debugger for Room Correction and it seemed to be working there.

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:41 pm »

Hmm I have only tested one speaker at a time while in loopback mode and with REW open and doing measurements. I did not set all speakers or even two speakers at the same time. Even after pulling the slider dead right there was no effect on the FR in REW.

Could this be because I only set one speaker? I will try two or more and get back to you since it appears that it is something I am not doing right.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:22 pm »

Hmm I have only tested one speaker at a time while in loopback mode and with REW open and doing measurements. I did not set all speakers or even two speakers at the same time. Even after pulling the slider dead right there was no effect on the FR in REW.

Could this be because I only set one speaker? I will try two or more and get back to you since it appears that it is something I am not doing right.

You may have found a corner case by trying to set only one side of a matched set.

Ideally you should set all distances, then do levels.

Distances of matched sets are used to approximate the level.  So if you only know distance, you'll be close without doing anything for level.  This is why you do distances first.

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 06:44:34 pm »

You are absolutely right but as I had all levels and distances set in my Onkyo I thought of testing each feature one by one, hence the "just one speaker" trial and testing with REW.

In practice I found out while trying to add a bit of extra delay (increase distance) to my subwoofer and was bored to get into the Onkyo menu, and thought of just adding 1-2 feet incrementally on top of the Onkyo's distance through room correction.

The levels are working anyway btw. Nonetheless, I will set it up properly then and remove all settings from the Onkyo as well.

Here goes another use of the Onkyo 5507. In the end it will be a beautiful HDMI video switch with a fancy remote. ;D

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:56:04 pm »

Here goes another use of the Onkyo 5507. In the end it will be a beautiful HDMI video switch with a fancy remote. ;D
Same for me (I have a much smaller Onkyo AV). First I used the automatic room measurement, surround settings, channel up- and down mixing etc. I was very happy how Onkyo did all this till I realized that MC does all these things even better! I'm still using the Onkyo remote (indeed a good one!) but for sound only direct stream. Everything else is done by MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up