INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparing for the Mac version  (Read 1478 times)

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Preparing for the Mac version
« on: February 15, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »

Hi

I've a reasonably sized MC library sitting on a Synology NAS.

Within my windows MC environments I've simply mapped a drive to the NAS.  This has served me very well over the years, as Ive changed PCs / NAS boxes.  I've even had two pcs running MC sharing the library , but simply backing up the library and restoring it on the second machine.

So a peek at my Windows MC library will have a entry for a track as e:\music\artist\album\name_of_track.

With the Mac version I'd hope to be able to share the library, but how can I get there?

I guess I should try and replace "e:\" with the name of the NAS server so the entry becomes server\music\artist\album\etc.

I'm happy with the first releases just to the Mac MC import anything it can find, but I'd like better solution in the longer term.

Any ideas?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Preparing for the Mac version
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:57:47 am »

I think we'll have to wait & see a bit how cross-platform library sharing works--but, I've done a similar trick in iTunes (a find/replace of my mapped Windows drive letter with /Volumes/<share>).

You have to munge the XML file, then corrupt the binary version of the iTunes library to force iTunes to read the XML file, but it does work.

MC will be simpler since we don't have to muck about with a binary version of the library.

brad

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Preparing for the Mac version
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:36:34 am »

I guessed it must be some like that.

I'll have a go with search and replace.  Maybe it's time I reorganised the library anyway.

Sharing libraries is important to me as I use a windows machine with CD player to import, organise. The Mac mini is just for playback.

Can't wait for the 22nd.  Drat I've just realised I'm away the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up