INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip Music from MC18 Client to MC18 Networked Library (located on server)  (Read 17539 times)

jacky

• World Citizen

New Version, same question:

Is client CD ripping supported in MC[18] ?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69084.msg467712
I tried ripping a CD from a library server client to the library server.  Immediately a dialog appears that says:

Please ensure that a suitable CD/DVD drive is installed on this machine.
 Also, make sure you are using a local library and are not in Party Mode.

The drive rips fine with a local library, MC is not in Party Mode, so we can assume from this message that ripping via a library server client does not work (only local libraries are supported).

The conclusion from the thread above was that MC17 did not support client ripping.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rip Music from MC18 Client to MC18 Networked Library (located on server)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »

Nothing have been changed here as far as I know. If only ripping was activated, you could rip to a share and the server could import the stuff. But that seems to be impossible when the ripping options in MC is diabled in client mode? Not that I have tried to accoplish this my self, but it seems that we're out of options other than ripping on the server. And as we know, that is not an option for some.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dcard

Wow. Thought this one would be solved by now.  Disappointed.

How can you really use a client/server setup without ability to rip from a client?  For many, "server" means headless in some marginally accessible place.

My work-around is easy to automate as I control the launch of JRiver from my Sagetv menu system into theater view.

If your client is pointing to "Server" library, create a second "Client" library that points to the same networked directory as the "Server" library, and "UN-Check" auto import.

When you want to rip from your client PC, open up the Client Library, Rip as many cd's as you want.  Only these will show up in its library.  When you are done, close and re-open your Server Library, and everything will be there (as it is setup to auto-import from same directory/subdirectories).

In my Sagetv menu, I list "Music" and "Play CD/Rip" as two different calls to JRiver.  These are command line calls where you can specify which library to open JRiver (see JRiver command line options).  Also, the JRiver theater view menu is customizable by each library.

Works great.  A bit of a kludge, but one that works well for me.

dmm

• World Citizen

Any hope to see this feature implemented in MC18?

jacky

• World Citizen

Any hope to see this feature implemented in MC18?

+1

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I'm confused.

I've always ripped from my HTPC, which is a Client.  I haven't done it recently, that I remember, but I certainly didn't do all my ripping downstairs.  Is it because I have a mounted network drive in this library, not UNC paths?

Or did it just used to "work" depending on conditions, and now they check and make it not work?  And I didn't notice because I never rip CDs?

I need to find a CD.  That might be hard.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up