INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up JRiver for Trade show, networking help needed. Thanks.  (Read 1382 times)

gazjam

• World Citizen

Hi,
demonstrating JRiver at trade show end of Month.

This is similar to a post I made earlier for a show last September, but using IOS devices and Windows 8 now, so a bit dofferent.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Basicaly,
Windows 8, latest JRiver installed on Server, demonstrating it at Show.
Want to set up Ipad control for music library, sell the benefits of this etc and to access online Services like Spotify etc during demo.

There will be open Wifi access at venue, but using Win8 and IOS for first time (was Win7 and Android before) and looking for any potential "gotcha's" from the JRiver side?

Need to read up a bit more on Win8 Networking, but wondering if anyone has done anything similar..connect the JRiver server to Wifi and create an Ad-hoc network (so to speak) to enable JRemote control of JRiver?

thanks! :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setting up JRiver for Trade show, networking help needed. Thanks.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:43 am »

Trade show networks get flooded fast.  If I were doing it, I'd bring my own network and wire as much as possible.  Make sure it's secure.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:38 am »

Trade show networks get flooded fast.  If I were doing it, I'd bring my own network and wire as much as possible.  Make sure it's secure.

Yep.

You'll absolutely want your own secured (WPA2) WiFi hotspot.  I'd wire the Win8 box to it, and then connect the iOS devices (and ONLY the iOS devices) to it.  Try to get a dual-band capable WiFi router as well, as the 2.4GHz spectrum is likely to fill up fast, with all the people with those MiFi cards and whatnot kicking about.

I'd avoid a real ad-hoc network if you can.  Bring a real WiFi router.

As far as the rest, I'm not sure what you're looking for... Are you looking for specific instructions on how to use JRemote with MC?  It would help if you gave more specifics.... You need to test the setup well before you go, and if you have specific questions, ask them and we'll help.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »

thanks for the replies guys, sorry never got back sooner.

I know JRemote quite well so no problems there.
Its more on the "mechanics" of getting my server doing what I want it to do Network wise.

This would be idea if I could do it:
1) Get the Server talking to Spotify etc online - good to demonstrate.
2) Set it up in such a way that I can use JRemote on the Ipad to talk to Jeiver on the server.

normally network access is needed for that, but theres no network, only Wifi access!

Glynor,
You say bring a "Bring a real WiFi router."

I can do that, have a spare Wireless router I can  take, but what Im unsure about is how to get it talking to the network and talking to JRiver in a way it will all work as planned?

My networking knowledge is "Ok" not great, any pointers are much appreciated.
I take it that its not as easy as just plugging in the wifi router, it picks up the wifi, sends it to JRiver and all will be hunky dory? :)

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:48 pm »

Anyone?...Trade shows this Friday!!  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »

You might want to read some general information on networking so your questions are specific to JRiver.  The network hardware manufacturers like Linksys often have good tutorials.

The network provider for the trade show might also have useful information.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:10:18 pm »

I can't really help with your specific questions but I hope things work out well for you friday.

Good luck!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:33 pm »

The easiest thing (if this isn't too late) is the following.  I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you do all of this ahead of time and test it.

1. Bring your wireless router.  Set it to WPA2 (or some other secure mode) with a password only you know.  If you have a choice of a router, you'll probably have better reliability with a 5GHz mode WiFi router.  However, all of your mobile devices will also need to support 5GHz mode, and many still don't.
2. You may also want to hide the SSID broadcast, so that people at the trade show don't continuously pound you trying to connect.  You'll need to know how to do this with your router, and then how to set the connection up manually on your mobile devices though.
3. Set the router up as a DHCP server and whatnot (basically "normal mode"), but set the MC Server with a fixed address (static).  Usually, you can just do this by changing the IP configuration on the Server machine itself.  The address you assign will need to be in the same subnet as the DHCP server on the router (probably 192.168.0.X or something like that).
4. Depending on what the trade show gives you, you may or may not be able to get the "whole setup" on the Internet.  If they give you an unsecured Ethernet connection you can plug into whatever you want, you can plug that network connection into the WAN port on your router and it'll provide Internet access to all of the connected devices.  Otherwise, you'll have to operate your WiFi network without Internet.
5. Wire that router (via one of the LAN ports) to the MC server, and set it up with a fixed (static) IP address.
6. Connect your mobile device(s) to the wireless router via WiFi.  They can get DHCP addresses.
7. Connect from Gizmo or JRemote or whatever directly to the static IP address you picked for your Server in step #3 above.
8. ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
9. Profit!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »

thanks very much guys.

Doing some networking homework tonight, appreciate the replys. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up