INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Playing Justified Season 1 Blu Ray  (Read 2237 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Problem with Playing Justified Season 1 Blu Ray
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:47:14 pm »

I can't seem to play any episodes except for the first episode on the disc.  When it reaches the end of the first episode, MC stops and goes back to the Now Playing screen.  It's as if MC doesn't see any of the other episodes on the disc.  I exited MC and played the disc via TMT and it plays back all episodes.  So definitely a problem with MC.  I'm running the latest version.

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Problem with Playing Justified Season 1 Blu Ray
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:24:05 pm »

I'm not familiar with the relevant MC18 problem, but I can recommend continuing with the show - the first season is good, and each succeeding season is as good or better.   Each episode has an episode plot and each season has an arc...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:53:05 am »

This is because MC automatically treats the disc as a movie and plays the longest playlist, which is the fist ep in this case. The best solution is to usemakemkv and rip the titles to mkv files. The second best thing to do would be to open the disc and play the individual episodes from the stream folder. I think we've been promised better handling of TV show discs in the future.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:06:52 am »

MC currently uses LAV filters to parse the playlists on the disc. It defaults to the longest playlist or the one with the best/most audio tracks which is usually good for movies because they are usually the longest thing on the disc and have the best audio tracks (ie DTS-MA or TrueHD).

This is suboptimal for discs of TV episodes because they have somewhere between 3 and 6 episodes per disc of roughly the same duration and similar audio tracks. Although quite often the slightly longest episode is the season opener ie. episode 1 which is why MC has by default chosen this to play.

You can right click and choose a different title to choose a different episode. However they will only be listed by length in the menu, so you cannot know for certain which episode is which.

You can also add the episodes separately in your library using the 'Stacks'/'Particles' feature.

How I do it:

I rip the bluray/DVD into a folder structure on my HD (Video__TS for DVD and BDMV for bluray).
In the MC library, right click on the file and go to Stacks->Particles->Auto-particle DVD/Bluray (or whatever it is called - I'm not home at the moment).
This gives you particles of the different playlists on the disc in the library (which are basically new library entries for the same data that you can edit separately)
Make sure each of the particles are 'tagged' with Media Subtype (Tv Show), Series (Justified) and Season (1). I just highlight them all and change the tags in one go. Change the episode tag to whatever you think appropriate. There may be some trial and error here.
Then select them all and do a 'Get TV/Movie info..'
They should then get the correct metadata.

A bit longwinded, but actually doesn't take that long to do. Note that you need to rip into a folder structure for this to work - it won't work for iso.

Hopefully sometime in the future we can get some java menu support for MC in which case the episodes will be automatically tagged. 

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58:17 am »

I just rip them into individual mkv files, and remove the subtitles and audio tracks I'll never use, and the extras I don't need to see more than once, if ever.

it saves about 20% of the disk space over keeping everything as an iso or rip with all the folder structure.

The particle method mentioned above seems to work great for some, but I figured I'd mention another 'solution'.
pretend this is something funny

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:54 am »

Thanks for the info.  I'm just renting the blu rays and have no intention of ripping them.  I guess it would just make more sense to add TMT to the MC menu and use that for tv series on physical discs and use MC for everything else.

Which leads me to asking, how do I add a menu item to Movies item in Theaterview to launch TMT3?  Also are there any known problems in doing this?

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:37 am »

Aaaahhhhh bluray full menu playback: my evergreen !

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75817.0

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:13 am »

That doesn't appear to be what I want.  I just want a menu item to select to launch TMT3.  I don't want MC to automatically launch based upon file type...unless I read that wrong...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:45 am »

There is a solution posted somewhere on how to successfully launch and use TMT to play certain filetypes, but I don't have this at my fingertips. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:52 am »

MC currently uses LAV filters to parse the playlists on the disc

Actually, it has its own parser for track discovery and selection. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kstuart

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:07 am »

There is a solution posted somewhere on how to successfully launch and use TMT to play certain filetypes, but I don't have this at my fingertips. Hopefully someone else can help you.
There's

Tools->Options->FileTypes->playback method

kstuart

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:48 am »

That doesn't appear to be what I want.  I just want a menu item to select to launch TMT3.  I don't want MC to automatically launch based upon file type...unless I read that wrong...
There's

Right-click on item->Send To->Send To External->Add/Edit Programs

presumably the aforementioned threads discussed details to setup one of these possibilities for TMT.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:10:30 pm »

That doesn't appear to be what I want.  I just want a menu item to select to launch TMT3.  I don't want MC to automatically launch based upon file type...unless I read that wrong...
sorry I misread. kstuart's advice above is more suited to your request.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 04:02:10 pm »

There's

Right-click on item->Send To->Send To External->Add/Edit Programs

presumably the aforementioned threads discussed details to setup one of these possibilities for TMT.

This is the route I am more familiar with for external programs. Sometimes, though, you have to add arguments to get them to work, and it is this I am not familiar with. As far as I recall, it's not as easy as just pointing the files to TMT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up