INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web streaming to tablet from NAS  (Read 1652 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
Web streaming to tablet from NAS
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »

Please forgive me if this is an elementary question, as I'm pretty new to this area of technology. I just got a NAS device (WD My Book Live Duo 6TB) to replace my 2TB USB drive that I stored my media on. I previously set up Media Network to stream to other computers and WebGizmo from my USB drive, so I know how to do that and how it works.

Now, I just got an Android tablet (Galaxy Tab 2 7.0) and I have Gizmo working on it just fine. I also installed a Western Digital app that lets me remotely access the NAS device from the internet. I'd like to be able to stream my media to the tablet through the internet when my computer is shut down (accessing right from the NAS device), as I believe the JRiver Media Server has to be running to stream using MC. Yes, I could leave my computer on 24/7, but I'd rather not.

I can use the WD app to view my files directly and play them one at a time, but I'd like a program like Gizmo to have an interface where I can browse by genre, etc. I take it this can't be done with Gizmo, seeing as it needs to connect to the Media Server, correct? What about using a program that would make the files on the NAS device appear local, so I could play them with a regular media player? Is that feasible? What would be the easiest way to do this? I'd rather not have to do any router configuration, as I can already access files over the Internet.

Thanks!

Edit: I should mention that the NAS device has a DLNA server, but from what I've read that only works on a local network.
I also found DAAP Media Player (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mult.daap) and I'm still learning more about what it is and if I can use it with my devices.

Darn, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum... sorry!

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Web streaming to tablet from NAS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:09:03 am »

You're probably best asking this question in the forums of your NAS as it's really got nothing to do with JRiver if you don't want JRiver to be serving your media!  you are correct - Gizmo is a remote control for JRiver and JRiver doesn't run on NAS boxes, so you need your JRiver server up and running to use Gizmo.

However, at first glance I would say you need to go down the DLNA route. You need a DLNA controller app, such as PlugPlayer, and you will need to configure your router. The PlugPlayer forum in particular does have information about doing this.

There may indeed be other solutions as you have found.

andrewt

• World Citizen
Re: Web streaming to tablet from NAS
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:23 am »

Thanks. You're right, I realized this wouldn't have anything to do with JRiver, so I asked in the forum for my NAS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up