INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skip and seek does not work with WebGizmo or remote MC client  (Read 3597 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Skip and seek does not work with WebGizmo or remote MC client
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:25:29 pm »

This is kind of new to me, and it may rather been posted at the media network forum, but anyway.

I have noticed skip and seek does not work neither when using Gizmo, WebGizmo or streaming directly to a remote MC installation. This is true for music and my ripped movies. I have all my blurays and dvds ripped into mkv, and they all work well locally. THe music is stored as flac.

THe Media Network settings will convert audio if necessary (whatever that means) to high bandwidth mp3. Video conversion is set to MP4 720p.

It seems that MC is not able to recognize the true length of a media file, and the playback time bar fills up and stays at 100%.
This means I am only able to play a file from start to stop. It seems video loads with chapter information, and the right-click and "Jump to" list is populated but does not work.

I would definitely prefer the remote playback to have the same functionality as local playback. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known issue in MC?

I have tested both MC17 and 18 (.048), same result.

justsomeguy

Re: Skip and seek does not work with Gizmo or remote MC client
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

I reported pretty much the same problem a couple builds ago.

Trumpetguy

Re: Skip and seek does not work with WebGizmo or remote MC client
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:33:25 pm »

I just found that
1. Gizmo on my Android works perfectly within my home wireless network.
2. WebGizmo works from the same computer as the media server is running.

Still, connecting with WebGizmo or remote MC from my office desktop has the same shortcomings. Why should it be different?

Chris Main

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:38 pm »

Just wanted to add that all my viewing is done on a remote client,  and that video duration just isn't being passed from the server library. This means that skipping to any location in the video file is impossible.

Clearly here is a fairly large number of things to deal with and people will have different priorities, I'm sure this issue will get fixed, but for the moment it's pretty frustrating..

However, not complaining.. Keep plugging away guys..  :-\

Chris

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »

It will eliminate the risk of me watching movies during office hours, though...  ;D

And I appreciate that there are certainly a number of higher priority things out there. But if it is never mentioned, it will never get fixed, so we'll keep on nagging on you developers!

Chris Main

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:31:12 am »

I just wanted to add that this issue has been fixed.. for me it was something that was a show-stopper, so I simply uninstalled MC18 and waited a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I loaded up the latest version and Hey Presto; no problem with duration or being able to skip forward on video from a remote server.

..which gained me a huge amount of WAF points (Wife Acceptance Factor) ..

...it's pretty much unique to feel confident that your problem will get fixed as soon as it's possible to do..

.. so I just wanted to take a second to say thank you...

it's pretty obvious you guys are working hard at this.. and I know it's not a great deal of fun to field problem after problem...

..oh - and streaming video to an Android tablet is *noticably* better with MC18 - so thanks for that too...

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »

I just wanted to add that this issue has been fixed.. for me it was something that was a show-stopper, so I simply uninstalled MC18 and waited a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I loaded up the latest version and Hey Presto; no problem with duration or being able to skip forward on video from a remote server.

Tested today, and with Gizmo, some videos could skip, others just froze. It seemed work with dvd rips while bluray rips (all to mkv) mostly froze.

With MC remote, video starts as normal, but length of movie is just popolated to 100% immediately. Skip or seek did not work with any movies.

I have not tried this with earlier versions, so I cannot compare.

Chris Main

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:16:11 am »

Ah - sorry - you are correct: this is still not functioning correctly.

However.. if the remote client is running v18 - all is good, provided the server is running v17.

on Gizmo.. still no skipping or duration if the server is running v18 (though the general quality of streamed image is better)

So - this issue is definitely still not resolved...

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:04:20 am »

same issue here. Have a jriver server and if im connecting to it with pc's in the home network then all files play fine... skip/seek work.

If i connect with gizmo or webgizmo (inside or outside of the home network) lots of files will not seek or skip, if i chose to seek or skip the file just starts over.
There are many times i like to ffwd into something to show someone a scene, or to watch that certain clip. but it's not reliable for me for some reason. Ex. out of 80 video files, MAYBE 10-15 will allow me to skip/seek. the rest it just starts the files over from the beginning.
I hope there's a fix soon, i've had this issue for a long time...since gizmo arrived

I'm still on 17... bought 18, but yet make the plunge.

justsomeguy

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:33 am »

Any word on this problem?

Only problem I seem to still have with this is that seeking in a video causes MC to skip to the next file in the playlist instead of jumping to the correct position of the current playing file.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:46 am »

still broke here too, i had other gizmo related issues/requests and asked about them and was told "why don't you support myriver then."

I've also mentioned this exact issue in another post with no reply...drawing at straws here but, it's been a long time since new gizmo features have been introduced, this problem we've asked about has been a problem for me for over a year, with the one reply i was given I can only assume they have dropped development.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 11:30:43 am »

What is "myriver"?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:48:10 pm »

it's a piece of software a customer here made for iphone devices which i purchased for my GF's Iphone (similiar to gizmo app)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:59:19 pm »

Ah, I see. Not for my Android then.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 03:09:28 pm »

nope

justsomeguy

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »

Actually I'm not sure about gizmo. I tried it a few times a long time ago but haven't really used it.

I'm seeing this problem using MC as a client and MC18 as the server.

And it has been pretty quiet on this issue for some reason. It has been mentioned a few times before in other threads I think but there has never been any real feed back?

justsomeguy

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 03:19:32 am »

UPDATE:

As of the latest build .78 this problem appears to be fixed for me.

Thank You

justsomeguy

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 03:27:58 am »

Ok I spoke too soon. If I attempt to skip past the 50% point in a video playback either stops or jumps to the next video in playing now.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 02:22:35 am »

I bring life to this old issue. I have just recently replaced my old tv with a new panasonic plasma viera (yey!). One of the salespoints was that now we will be able to watch movie contents from the MC server through WAN and the tv's dlna client. But it is still not possible to skip or seek. The result is the same if I use the TV remote or control the playback using Gizmo; The slider moves to the desired location (sometimes) but then the movie just restarts.

My kids will bug me for not being able to pick up their favorite movie where it was left last time, and my wife will sort of...I don't know.

Any plans to fix this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up