INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD crash  (Read 1580 times)

SteveMA

• Recent member
SSD crash
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:14 am »

My operating system was on an SSD drive which has become "invisible" to the BIOS system.  I bought a new drive (not SSD) and am installing Windows 7 on it.  As a result I have lost JRiver MC18.  I still have the license key from the initial purchase.  Can I download again and use the install key (and not have to pay another $50)? >:(

rayooo

• World Citizen
Re: SSD crash
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:07:24 am »

I've re-installed MC many times over the years for various reasons, including on new Win7 installations.
'never had any kind of problem. so, yes, you can! ...without spending $50

My operating system was on an SSD drive which has become "invisible" to the BIOS system.  I bought a new drive (not SSD) and am installing Windows 7 on it.  As a result I have lost JRiver MC18.  I still have the license key from the initial purchase.  Can I download again and use the install key (and not have to pay another $50)? >:(
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:27 am »

Go to

http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html

scroll down page to FAQ.

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.... eventually all hard drives fail.

I use image backup software, so if a drive fails, I replace it and restore.  Presto, exactly like it was when the drive crashed.

SteveMA

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:38:32 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.  I downloaded, installed with license key.  I inadvertently installed in the 32 bit program folder instead of the 64 bit (where I initially had it installed).  Do I need to uninstall, redownload, etc installilng in the 64 bit folder?  Or can I reinstall directly putting MC18 in the desired program folder?  Probably pretty basic question but it's above my head at this point.
Thanks,
SteveMA
PS, In its current install (32 bit) I get an error message when going to theater view (error starting d3d engine; I searched and found http://files.jriver.com/dependencies/d3dx.exe and ran that but still get the error message).  This is why I'm leaning towards uninstalling/reinstalling but I'd like to know why the error this time when the first install went flawlessly.
Thanks again

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:27 am »

I think you are right in reinstalling. MC is pure 32-bit. As far as I know there is no advantage of making a 64-bit version. All the vital calculations are already done with 64-bit precision within MC today. And nobody presented a database that couldn't fit into the address space available to a 32-bit application in Windows.
The fresh install of MC will configure directX and eventually download missing components when run the first time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up