INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server software  (Read 1100 times)

OldMacDonald,eieio

Server software
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:13:40 am »

Let me introduce myself. I am just getting started downloading the JRiver MC software …. I truly hope I get the support and help I need although I am generally fairly capable with a little programming, UNIX, C++, and Winders OS.

When I went to the first JRiver "latest and greatest page" before creating an account, I received a download SWV 18.106. I read a bit further and found that if necessary, I could back track to an older version, which at the time seemed to be 17.189 was the best. NOW, I see that hot off the released line is 18.316 and from the history, it looks to be the best but still really, really new. So, I am covered on software, I think.  ? Doesn't matter because I am sure I am optimistic this will work eventually.

I have searched and searched for decent server software that could handle all of my needs. I have tried many in public domain and private label. I do not mind paying for support and upgrades. I want a single, central server (I have NAS drives on my network) but mainly for backup. The "server hardware" I will be using is and older 3.0 Mhz, quad core, 8 Gb, Dell Studio (the case is the fat one, like me) with an NVidia GeForce graphics card. I have a good, fast 3 Tb of fast fixed disk and two smaller disks (2.5”) that are RAID or ATA, hot swappable. Right now, they are ATA but I can configure and increase or decrease storage on those particular two drives at a whim.
|
I have two HDHomerun TV tuners and that is the bane of all the servers software and me. To simply get OTA  digital TV signals to play live and time shift recordings if watched in another room has been impossible for in my minds eye. I have four turners.

For that matter, I have never had PLEX working with live TV. That leaves me to watch the main TV in the living room for live OTA through WMC, and WMC acts as the DVR too. Playback is fine though the PLEX server to Roku but by then, I can watch HULU. That particular TV attaches to the PC through HDMI and TOS link for aux. sound. The Roku in that room is only for the “extra” channels like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, although Plex was another channel and it was nice not to have a zillion remote controls and change from IR to FR and inputs on the TV was nice.

I have looked and looked for something that was compatible with Roku as a networked hardware bridge from the server though my hardwired LAN to the other two of TVs. One is not DLNA compliant -- if any really are these days, yet. There are holes in the DLNA spec. to drive a truck through.

I liked the idea of having a Roku "channel" for the server channel but that limited me pretty much to PLEX. I was still able to take advantage of some of the "canned URL" networks on PLEX and without a lot of pain switch over to Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix without constantly changing inputs on the TV.

Again, the only thing I have not been able to get to work satisfactorily is the live TV in real time on the remote TVs and time shifting in PLEX. I am done trying and learned far more about Jason that I wanted.. PLEX has a new plugin for the HDHomerun that has been broken more or less from the beginning release in November 2012 and I have waited patiently for a long enough. XBMC is nice but not as slick and the 10-Foot interface and UI is a pain with a Microsoft miniature keypad.

So, JRiver, if I have to get some kind of "balck box" for the one set that really can’t receive DLNA compliant streams of data (an older VIZIO) and can get the newer Samsung LNXXD550K series working (with or without AllShare PC software), then I will buy a box for the Vizio or use Vizio Co-Star. They claim it will pass through anything that comes into the signal-input port and pass it to the TV. We will see – it is Google TV 3.x and I am not convinced that transcoding will not be done or a problem. Roku is so ridged; it is their way or the highway. It has been a great little box for the last four years and I have three. It is what inspired me to cut the cable.

I apologize for the long email but I hope this is a happy relationship. With software in hand, I will backup my files, restore a fully patched, basic Win7 build, and start fresh after a couple hours sleep.

I am hoping for an incredible experience with JRiver.
Best regards. –andy
(aka OldMacDonald,eieio)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Server software
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:40 am »

Welcome to the forum.  I've split your post from the 18.0.136 announcement thread.  That thread is for reporting bugs.

I read quickly through your post, but it isn't clear what your question is.  Are you asking for a hardware recommendation?  It would help if you could briefly summarize what you need.

MC17 is an old version and should no longer be used for evaluation purposes.  Here's how we do updates:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates
Pages: [1]   Go Up