More > JRiver Media Center 18 for Windows

MadVR upscaling algorithms - can anyone suggest a good scene for comparing?

<< < (3/3)

Sandy B Ridge:

--- Quote from: InflatableMouse on February 25, 2013, 04:53:03 am ---I picked a scene in which nothing was moving and something had closeup focus (sharp) with a busy, varying light and dark out of focus background. An example for this would be during a dialog in which the camera focuses on a face. I also compared different quality material like a good 720p, a good dvd and a bad dvd.

--- End quote ---
Good tip, thanks. Static scenes are probably really imporatnt for SD/DVD material otherwise you just end up upscaling macroblocks! I hadn't thought about faces before, so thanks for that. I had been trying industrial sort of scenes with fine text hoardings and metal lines.

--- Quote ---Jinc is typically the best but truthfully, I find it very hard to see it without making screenshots and comparing side by side with my nose close to the screen. And then when you do see a difference its not always a clear given which one is better. On my 50" plasma from 3 or 4 meters viewing distance I can't tell the difference anymore, so Lanczos it is for me. Also, personally I would choose a slight ringing or some artifacts over the softness of other methods, except for anime/cartoons.

--- End quote ---
I find animated stuff sometimes a bit soft with softcubic, but haven't tried much with Jinc. Lanczos gets a bit blocky around the edges of lines at certain slopes/angles. I find Jinc a bit better at smoothing out these lines though, even with animated stuff.

--- Quote ---I enable MadVR LAN Access features and change the settings from another PC, I find that easier than having MC drop out of exclusive mode to access it. I don't think settings are always applied on pause so to be sure I always restart and pause it on the same frame (which is frustrating ...). There's probably an easier way though but I couldn't be bothered to figure it out ::).

--- End quote ---
Really good tip. What I have done is program the colour keys on my remote to different upscaling algorithms. I don't have any use for them otherwise, so thought 'may as well'. The leftmost one is the softest and the rightmost one the sharpest. I can change the algorithm then on the fly.

Frame by frame advance would be a worthwhile feature enhancement for MC I guess.

SBR

JimH:
There was a black problem with Nvidia (?) recently.

eddyshere:

--- Quote from: Sandy B Ridge on February 25, 2013, 04:23:18 am ---Thanks, those are really good tips. Maybe JRiver could add your post as a wiki topic.

I've followed your excellent discussions on doom9 and this is a great summary.

I was just curious whether anyone has a few favourite clips/scenes to evaluate the different algorithms.

Cheers,

SBR

--- End quote ---

The opening scene in each episode of a tv show called frasier where a white line is drawn and represents Seattle...

Sandy B Ridge:

--- Quote from: eddyshere on February 26, 2013, 01:43:16 pm ---The opening scene in each episode of a tv show called frasier where a white line is drawn and represents Seattle...

--- End quote ---
Thanks for that. You're absolutely right. The multiple thin White lines at various slopes/angles would be really good.
I think it's only on a low bitrate SD channel at the moment on UK TV, so may not be that great. I'll keep an eye out though.

Thanks!

SBR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version