More > JRiver Media Center 18 for Windows

MadVR upscaling algorithms - can anyone suggest a good scene for comparing?

<< < (2/3) > >>

InflatableMouse:
I picked a scene in which nothing was moving and something had closeup focus (sharp) with a busy, varying light and dark out of focus background. An example for this would be during a dialog in which the camera focuses on a face. I also compared different quality material like a good 720p, a good dvd and a bad dvd.

Jinc is typically the best but truthfully, I find it very hard to see it without making screenshots and comparing side by side with my nose close to the screen. And then when you do see a difference its not always a clear given which one is better. On my 50" plasma from 3 or 4 meters viewing distance I can't tell the difference anymore, so Lanczos it is for me. Also, personally I would choose a slight ringing or some artifacts over the softness of other methods, except for anime/cartoons.

I enable MadVR LAN Access features and change the settings from another PC, I find that easier than having MC drop out of exclusive mode to access it. I don't think settings are always applied on pause so to be sure I always restart and pause it on the same frame (which is frustrating ...). There's probably an easier way though but I couldn't be bothered to figure it out ::).

jmone:
Yup - at some point you have to kick back and enjoy the content.  For example I've seen my kids watch stuff on FTA with heavy snow and think it is fine!

Sandy B Ridge:

--- Quote from: jmone on February 25, 2013, 04:36:46 am ---...also keep in mind that it really also depends on how big your screen is, your seating distance, and visual acuity.  If you have a 40" screen at 5m then just about anything will do.  It is much easier to see the impact of the algorithms on a big screen (say 100" at 3 feet)!

--- End quote ---
Ha! Yes I find I do have to move a little closer to the screen these days to clearly see the difference at pixel level.  However when I move back to the sofa there remains an appreciable difference particularly in sharpness between different settings. I have a 50" plasma at about 10-12 feet, so probably *should* be able to see a difference!

--- Quote from: jmone on February 25, 2013, 04:34:52 am ---Hey SBR,
If you have the re-released version of Gladiator on BD (note: the first BD version has big issues with so much processing that arrows would "disappear" mid flight) the opening war scene has lots of flying arrows etc which I find is a good demo.  That said I too also use Jinc3 +AR on the HTPC as my main focus is good BD playback.  On weaker GPU's I'd recommend Mitchell-Netravali as it is pretty good and is very easy on the GPU.  It gets down to preference at the end of the day, as you may not notice any great difference.

--- End quote ---
Thanks. I'll try and get that one. I've been meaning to watch it.
I have to admit that I struggle to see the difference on bluray with the only reliable change I can detect between setting chroma to 'nearest neighbour' vs. anything else. Setting chroma to Jinc3 vs. Mitchell netravali for example I rarely can tell the switch!

SBR

Sandy B Ridge:

--- Quote from: jmone on February 25, 2013, 05:01:57 am ---Yup - at some point you have to kick back and enjoy the content.  For example I've seen my kids watch stuff on FTA with heavy snow and think it is fine!

--- End quote ---
+1

It is however innate in my nature to want to fiddle!

SBR

InflatableMouse:
My biggest annoyances during movie watching are banding and incorrect brightness/gamma/blacklevels.

I find the last one strange as I don't think this should differ from movie to movie, but it does. Black needs to be black and if it isn't, I get annoyed  >:(.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version