INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lynx AES16e and Loopback latency - FYI...  (Read 7061 times)

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Lynx AES16e and Loopback latency - FYI...
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:06:40 am »

All,

I converted from a Echo Audiofire 12 to the Lynx AES16e w/ Aurora 16-VT about a month a go.  The Lynx setup sounds great and I love it.  However, under the new setup I had to run JRiver Loopback to get sound in web browsing (Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, iBethel, etc.).  While this piped audio to JRiver for processing and ASIO to the Lynx system, there was a massive amount of delay in the system.  Watching shows was like watching a really bad foreign film voice over (I mean really bad, like 2.5 seconds off).  If I watched Hulu or Youtube inside of JRiver all was fine but if watching from a browser it was BAD.  (Hulu, NetFlix and YouTube have consistency issues in JR, not all JRiver fault as the API's/websites seem to be changing and that is out of JRiver control, but some times things are just hit and miss, but that is a different topic).

Yesterday, 2/24/13, I noticed that Lynx posted a new firmware for the AES16e.  I was running 12.9 and the new version is 12.10 (naturally, but anyway).  One thing I had noticed when running the 12.9 firmware is the buffer settings didn't seem to take or make any difference (change from 1024 to 512 and it would either revert back or there would be no difference, change to 32 and no difference, change back and no difference).  I was just thinking I was doing something wrong as the system was new and I hadn't had a lot of time to try to troubleshoot the issue.  

However, now under 12.10 the setting are taking AND making a difference.  I now have the ASIO buffers set to 256 and .10ms buffer in the ASIO DSP settings and all seems to be well.  iBethel is now spot on, Hulu might be just a tad off if I want to be critical but you really have to look for it.  

All this is to say, if you have a Lynx AES16e and are running into issues (especially latency), you may want to upgrade to the 12.10 firmware.  Word of caution though, the change log from the Lynx site has not been updated since 12.8 so I don't know what was specifically fixed in 12.9 or 12.10.

Enjoy!!!  I know I am.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Lynx AES16e and Loopback latency - FYI...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:41 am »

Lynx just updated their release notes on the 12.10 firmware for the AES16e.  Not sure I see how it fixed my issue, but glad it did.

Firmware Revision History

Version 1.00.12.10 February 12, 2013

Fixed issue created in Firmware 12.9 that kept SynchroLock for engaging properly.
Version 1.00.12.9 January 9, 2013

Fixed issue that caused certain hosts (Sonnet chassis) to sometimes not allow the AES16e to be recognized properly.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds

bguy777

Re: Lynx AES16e and Loopback latency - FYI...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:08:59 pm »

I am at the point of looking for a multi channel DAC. Mostly to biamp. I have been looking at m-audio, RME and Lynx AD/DA converters. Can I ask why you changed converters. Was it Sound Quality. More functions?

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Lynx AES16e and Loopback latency - FYI...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:45:30 am »

I was having some issues with the Echo unit in my setup.  There were times when I would turn my TV on (htpc is always on) there would be no center channel.   I'd look at the Echo Audio Console at it would be muted.  I'd then unmute and all would be well.  If it was just me at the house I probably wouldn't have changed, but other people in the house were complaining.

Also, while the Echo AudioFire 12 hardware supports 24/192, the drivers don't support 192 on windows and that just BUGS me.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Lynx AES16e and Loopback latency - FYI...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:42 pm »

I was having some issues with the Echo unit in my setup. 

Hate to reply to my own message, but I feel this needs clarification.  I had no issues with the Echo AudioFire 12 it self.  It seemed to perform flawlessly.  I was just seeing times when out of the blue (to me) that channels 3 and 4 would be muted.  I asked my house mates about and and we experimented a bit with what they were doing but could never duplicate the issue, but that didn't stop it form happening.  So the 192 issue and the mute oddness made me want to switch.  I found a killer deal on ebay for the Lynx Aurora 12-VT system so I went for it. 

BTW, Lynx support is awesome as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up