INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Those pesky field typos ....  (Read 1412 times)

apostos

• World Citizen
Those pesky field typos ....
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »

I’ve been adding information to several of MC’s fields. Band, Additional Personnel, etc., etc.

Names are easily misspelt and semi-colons can be forgotten or misplaced. What’s the best way to confirm/edit the information in these fields? The method I’ve been using is quite tedious. I’m hoping there’s an easier way. Something that perhaps the long-time users of MC have implemented and wouldn’t mind passing along to a rookie data transcriber.

On the same note. Is it possible to edit the actual database outside the program interface?

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Those pesky field typos ....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:18:44 pm »

If you use the People field, it is a List, it is saved in the file, and it is searchable.

It is setup so that if you type the same name twice, it just selects the previously typed one.

If you remember you typed the name before, you can just check the existing one.

Each time you hit return, it adds to the list, and you don't need semicolons.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29

==

So what are using Band for ?

==

On the last point, you can use an external Tag program (like the freeware program MP3Tag ) and use the Update Library (from tags) command in MC18.   I use MP3tag (which does all file types, not just mp3) to access the discogs online database, which in my experience has the greatest percentage of correctly done tags. (but it won't have personnel).

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:01 pm »

I use ‘Band’ for group member identification and ‘Additional Personnel’ for non-group/guest members.

‘Band’ looks something like this - Donald Fagen [Vocals, Keyboards]; Walter Becker [Guitar, Bass]

‘Additional Personnel’ like this - Paul Humphrey [Drums]; Chuck Rainey [Bass]; Victor Feldman [Electric Piano]; Larry Carlton [Guitar]; Joe Sample [Clavinet]; Tenor Sax [Tom Scott]; Clydie King, Vennetta Fields, Sherile Matthews, Rebecca Louis [Backup Vocals]

I use copy/paste a lot to fill the relative tracks and then edit as required. As I said tedious.

If I do two a day I should be done in a few years. ::)

I’ll have to have a look at MP3tag. Thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:20:31 pm »

Use the People field for this.  And then when you are done, assign Band from people.  You can do this as the last step, by editing Band and entering:

=[People]

With lists, you can drag and drop tracks into a pane column to assign keywords, or use the list selection checkboxes.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:08 pm »

Unfortunately I didn’t notice the advantages to that field until just now.

So … entry choices for the artist Walter Becker in the dropdown list would look like - Walter Becker [Guitar, Bass] or Walter Becker [Guitar Solo] or Walter Becker [Bass], etc.  Correct? Not unlike the ‘Additional Personnel’ field is populated.

Happily, I’m not too far into this.

One other question if you don’t mind. How would I remove a fudged data entry? Like walter Becker instead of Walter Becker.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:34:52 pm »

Library Tools->Clean File Properties

==

Also note that a right-click will allow you to navigate to Links and thence to either Wikipedia or AllMusic, which usually have that sort of information (band members).

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »

One other question if you don’t mind. How would I remove a fudged data entry? Like walter Becker instead of Walter Becker.

You can edit in a pane, or the Tag Action Window, or in a cell to make the correction.  When the field value pops up, right click to Rename.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:05 pm »

I think you’ve both managed to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up