INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Rips vanish  (Read 1963 times)

JIMV

• World Citizen
New Rips vanish
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »

I have the program up and running, sort of, and I agree...it sounds better than iTunes (what doesn't) but not as good as Pure Music...

I do have a few questions...

1. The version I downloaded today says it expires in March...does that mean any hosekeeping I do to the current version will not translate into any new version after the expiration date?
2. After I imported my iTunes library (with the usual cover art issues) I ripped a new CD. it ripped to Tunes as I could not find any mechanism in MC for a rip. When I was done the CD is in the iTunes library BUT I cannot get it to the MC library regardless of what I do.
3. There does not seem to be any way to reduce the screen to anything like the size I can on my PC
4. The only windows feature on the three normal buttons in the upper right (close, reduce to loweer toolbar, and reduce to half screen) to work is the close button

Just initial issues. I am sure I will find more.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Rips vanish
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »

1. The version I downloaded today says it expires in March...does that mean any hosekeeping I do to the current version will not translate into any new version after the expiration date?

No.

Both hoses and "housekeeping" will be preserved.   ;) ;D

Tagging data will be safe, particularly if it is written to the files, but even if not, the Library itself is exceedingly unlikely to change such that you'd lose any actual tags.  The screams would be unbearable.  However, I won't suggest that it is impossible that things they change or add will require a reset of the Library Views (if you customize them).  I don't think there is any such plan, but it is alpha, so no promises there either.

Tags are safe though.

That timeout is just to keep people from running old broken Alpha builds way into the future and having a poor experience using them.  Updates will be available on this forum board likely weekly if not more often, and they will extend those timeouts as needed until they are removed entirely.

2. After I imported my iTunes library (with the usual cover art issues) I ripped a new CD. it ripped to Tunes as I could not find any mechanism in MC for a rip. When I was done the CD is in the iTunes library BUT I cannot get it to the MC library regardless of what I do.

Ripping is not yet done.  The stated goal of MC Mac for v18 is to give it audio-only feature-set equal to MC18 on Windows.  It will come.  We're early.

3. There does not seem to be any way to reduce the screen to anything like the size I can on my PC

Do you mean the Mini Views?  Those are also not implemented yet (I'm not sure what the plan is for those currently), but the drag-the-corner sizing functionality works similarly for me on OSX as it does on Windows.  I did notice one bit of weirdness here, but it isn't relevant to this thread so I'll address it elsewhere.

4. The only windows feature on the three normal buttons in the upper right (close, reduce to loweer toolbar, and reduce to half screen) to work is the close button

Restore works here.  You have to drag the window smaller to see the effect, which is standard for the restore button functionality on OSX.  Minimize does not.  Giving MC a "Macish" look is a later phase, as has been discussed in other threads.  They are well aware of this need, however.  I think fiddling with the current behavior of those buttons is probably a waste of time up until that point.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »

Actually, I would prefer a windows look as I know how to use MC on PC's...the Macness has never been a selling point for me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:02 pm »

Actually, I would prefer a windows look as I know how to use MC on PC's...the Macness has never been a selling point for me.

Perhaps, but clearly it is something that needs to be done to appeal to this market.

I don't think it will be dramatic.  MC will still be MC (and it fits in fairly well on OSX anyway, with a few big exceptions).  In any case, yep, the Minimize button is broken on all machines where I've tried it.  If you're seeing something different with the Restore button, though, what OS are you on?

Also, I forgot to mention when I posted before...

Auto-Import picks up new rips in my iTunes Library perfectly fine, as long as you have it scan the locations iTunes uses for storage.  Are you not using Auto-Import?

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »

I am on an up to date Mountain Lion...MC opens into 95% of my screen. The three normal windows buttons in the upper right have no effect except the red 'close' button, which does close the program.

How do I add music files to the library afer the initial effort. I have more music in my iTunes library but cannot seem to get it to MC...The files are simple CD WAV files.

I go to library, open 'selct a folder' and then brouse to iTunes but do not get any capture of new files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »

I am on an up to date Mountain Lion...MC opens into 95% of my screen. The three normal windows buttons in the upper right have no effect except the red 'close' button, which does close the program.

How do I add music files to the library afer the initial effort. I have more music in my iTunes library but cannot seem to get it to MC...The files are simple CD WAV files.

I go to library, open 'selct a folder' and then brouse to iTunes but do not get any capture of new files.

In MC, go to Tools > Import.  Then, pick Configure Auto-Import and hit Next.

In the Media Import dialog that appears, click the Add button and browse and find the folder that holds all of your music.  If iTunes is set to the default settings, just point it at the Music folder in your Home folder.  Make sure all the relevant file types are selected and hit OK.  Hit Finish.

That'll scan and import them.  You'll also want it to happen automatically, so make sure this option is enabled:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Run auto-import in background.

FYI:  This option is generally not resource intensive.

If you have a big library, and you enable either the Analyze Audio or Build Thumbnails options in the Auto-Import configuration, it can be a drag at first.  But you don't have to turn those on (MC will build thumbnails automatically as it goes, and you can Analyze Audio manually later if you want to), and even if you leave them on, it only "hurts" the first time when you're importing a huge batch of files.  Afterwards, it only has to deal with new stuff.

With those two options disabled, MC's Auto-Import is Very Well Behaved and is safe to just leave on all the time.  It is super-convenient.

However, last time I tested, Auto-Import's "auto" mode was not working yet.  I haven't tested it in a couple builds though, so this could be wrong.  Assuming it is still the case, then MC won't (yet) automatically pick up new files.  So, still do everything I said above, but when you want to import new files, you just have to go to:

Tools > Import, and then pick the bottom "Run Auto-Import Now" choice.  It'll scan through the pre-defined folders (so you don't have to browse for them each time) and pull in any new stuff it finds.

The Auto-Import will get fixed, if it hasn't already.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »

The three normal windows buttons in the upper right have no effect except the red 'close' button, which does close the program.

The way MC's Restore functionality is working right now isn't quite right, but it does function.

But the Mac Restore functionality is quite different from what Windows does, in every application (honestly, I like the Windows way better in this regard, and I wish Apple would just adopt it and stop it with their weird Green button behavior).  Anyway, to see MC do it, you have to:

1. Open MC.  It opens the first time essentially full screen.
2. Resize MC manually (drag the corner and make it smaller).  It will now remember that window position and size (even when you close and re-open it).
3. Click the restore button.  It'll work and zoom it full screen and then back.

It isn't quite right, as hitting the restore button when the window is already fully expanded should change the window size slightly (according to the "mac way"), but it is weird and often useless in these cases with "regular" OSX applications anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up