INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 channels to 3 stereo sound cards / DACs  (Read 12125 times)

sergedc

6 channels to 3 stereo sound cards / DACs
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:06:32 am »

Hi,

I would like to play a 5.1 channel movie and direct Front to SoundCard1, Center/Sub to SoundCard2 and Back to SoundCard3.

I have created 3 zones, assigned a each SoundCard to its respective zone.

Now when playing the movies, how do I tell JRiver to direct the right channels to the right zone?

{PS: sorry it this is stupid, I just bought this soft, so 1st time user}

Thanks,
Serge

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: 6 channels to 3 stereo sound cards / DACs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:35:42 am »

Two things I can think of:

1) That kind of set up is unlikely to work correctly as each soundcard has its own separate clock and they will gradually become desynchronized.  Unless all three "cards" are just different outputs on the same sound card, in which case you should be able to use ASIO to get access to all the channels.  I tried to do something similar with bi-amped speaker set up (which required four channels) with four channels on two stereo sound cards and never got the syncing right.  The sound would just drift farther and farther apart over time.

2) That said, because I was trying to bi-amp, I only needed stereo output (which I divided between two drivers on each side). I'm not sure there's a way to do exactly what you're describing.  If you link the zones it will play the same sound to each zone where you could theoretically pick and choose which channels went to the outputs (in the parametric equalizer in DSP studio), but if your soundcards only support stereo you won't be able to get a 5.1 stream to pick channels from to begin with.  If you try to start playback with 5.1, it will tell you 5.1 isn't supported by your soundcard and suggest playing it in stereo instead, at which point you only have two channel output.  

As far as I know there's no way to "put something in front of" output format; if your cards only support stereo, JRiver won't let you pick a non-stereo output format, so there's no way I know of to do the routing.  Hopefully the devs will chime in, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do is possible in JRiver.  It might be possible with external routing software, but even then there would likely be synchronization problems.  

sergedc

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:38:54 pm »

Thanks.

I want to assess the sync issues by myself. I read that by using 2 or 3 USB DAC connected to USB ports of the motherboard, these would actually share the clock. Also, my dacs are Async, which might also impact. I just want to see.

I have 2 problems with lining zones as you suggested:
1. Cannot play movie in linked zone, only music
2. How to configure JRSS to customize the 6 Channels -> 2 Channels conversion? For one zone I could select Front, and for the other Zone Center/Sub.

Serge

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »

where do you see the advantage of 3 DACs instead of a bigger unit with just 6 channels on one card?

There are a lot of great DACs with 6 channels and up.

Peter

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:22 pm »

Thanks.

I want to assess the sync issues by myself. I read that by using 2 or 3 USB DAC connected to USB ports of the motherboard, these would actually share the clock. Also, my dacs are Async, which might also impact. I just want to see.

I have 2 problems with lining zones as you suggested:
1. Cannot play movie in linked zone, only music
2. How to configure JRSS to customize the 6 Channels -> 2 Channels conversion? For one zone I could select Front, and for the other Zone Center/Sub.

Serge

The asynchronous nature of the DACs will make the sync problem worse, not better, as that guarantees they're all using their individual clocks.  Asynchronous means that they don't rely on the MoBo clock.

I understand your desire to see for yourself, but as I said, I don't think there's actually a way in JRiver to do the kind of routing you describe (splitting different channels of the same stream to different cards).  You can downmix to 2 channels, but then you only have two channels.  There might be a 3rd party routing solution, but I can't readily think of one.

You'll probably be better off with a single DAC with 6 or more outputs.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:29:53 pm »

You can try ASIO4LL to aggregate the outputs. No need for multi zones. But, sync problems could appear.

There are a lot of great DACs with 6 channels and up.
Do you know some? The ones I have seen are very expensive. The less expensive one I know is the new Oppo 105EU

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:22 pm »

Up to three Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DACs can be connected via USB and will show up as one soundcard with six channels. The ASIO driver uses USBMLink to set one DAC as the master clock. Here is a pdf download with more info:  USBMLink. However, this is an expensive way to go and a single multi-channel DAC is much cheaper. I use a Steinberg UR824 for my system.

audunth

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »

I'm also interested in this. No matter how much I search, I can only find ONE multichannel DAC purpose built for Hi-End home theater sound, and that's the $2500 Exasound d18. The other ones are made for entirely different purposes and, unless I get something in the same price range as the Exasound, would probably not be any better than the built-in DAC of my $1500 Yamaha receiver connected through HDMI.

There are plenty of good Hifi DACs out there, but they're mostly 2 channel. Hegel has some that get a lot of praise in the audiophile media, and since Hegel is a Norwegian brand, they're a lot cheaper here in Norway than the rest of the world. Anyway, I bet even a cheap $350 Hegel HD2 would wipe the floor with any studio sound card costing twice the price. Think about it, all those inputs and outputs, microphone preamps etc. etc. DOES cost money, and all that extra circuitry will cause noise. In a Hifi DAC ALL then money is spent on a simple purpose, upgrading the sound from your computer or CD player to audiophile heights and minimising the circuitry to eliminate noise.

The HD2 costs about $250 here in Norway, so getting 4 of them and hooking up to my 7.1 channels through MC would be a nice affordable option. Even getting 4 of the $850 Hegel HD11 would be cheaper than the Exasound (which would cost about $3300 including postage and Norwegian VAT), probably comparable sound-quality-wise and would be a lot more flexible (for example a HD11 for the fronts and 3 HD2 or similar cheaper ones for the other channels and then upgrade once more money accumulate, prices go down and technology goes forward). Since none of the Hegels are asynch and therefore use the PC's clock, I don't see why sync should be an issue.

I think this is a valid feature that should be added to MC.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »

How is the answer not to simply get a 5.1 Home Theater Receiver???  A $250 Yamaha will do the job just fine.... for TV/Movies.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

audunth

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:57:24 pm »

Yes, and why not just get a $100 surround system from Logitech, which will also do the job.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:56:00 pm »

why use usb dacs for 5.1. Use a good professionnal soundcard like a lynx twoB or an RME Fireface800 and you'll solve your problems
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:00:30 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:36 pm »

If you're a crazy person and you want to try, you might be able to pull it off with Virtual Audio Cable.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sergedc

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 12:51:13 am »

Thanks all.

1. Why? Quality! That is a concept that is different for everyone. Some understand some don't. I go to china all the time, I can get amazing dacs for $100-200, that beat the dac included in my $2000 6 channel Marantz amp by such a margin that it is revolting.
I want better quality for the center speaker. It would help my wife and I (not native english speaker) to understand the dialogues better.

2. Why? I know this will sound crazy: movies downloaded on the internet with AAC 388kbp (encoded from BR) beat AC3. Hence encoding AAC to AC3 to send to an AV-amp over optical/SPDIF is not a good idea IMHO. But I seem to be the only guy on earth making that point.

3. Async: 2 of you seems to disagree on the impact of using Async USB on the timing issue. Does it make it worst because you use the Dac's clock or better because you use the PC's clock?  From a logical strand point the 1st option seems the most likely. Given async is buttered, the speed at which the sound goes out is not related with the PC at all => making it worst. If someone could confirm, that would be great.

One solution would be to link the clocks of the different dacs. Or to use a sound card with multiple digital outputs (only >$500 options, except for SB0350 which has 3 SPDIF out).

With regards to JRiver, the key question is: is there a way to configure how JRSS downmix the channels? If so, we could ask JRSS to keep Center/Sub for Zone1 and to keep FrontL/FrontR for Zone2....

Serge

sergedc

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54:48 am »

And with regards to the pro gears / other gears: if you think they sound good think about the following:
- Which dac chipset are they using
- Which opamp are the using
- What caps are they using
- How to the RCA plug look like (big & strong or small like on an AV-amp)
- The power plug (should be generic)
- etc...
If not mentionned, trust me, its crap for what we want to do.

And in general, anything that says 6 channels in / 6 channels out is out of the question. We are only looking at output, not recording.

Serge

BayensF

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:07 am »

To all,

I would suggest you buy a ASUS XONAR D2X PCIe card and set it up with ASIO drivers. It has 8 analog channels out 24/192. Using DSP Studio to set the output mode to 5.1. For routing channels you can use PEQ, functions like copy or add a channel to another works fine.

I use this setup to send signals to my self build 6ch Amp and direct power my 3 way loudspeaker set. No 5.1 for me, I don't like, just stereo at the end.
The card is using 2 different Op-Amps at the audio out. The fatsest (slewrate) is on the front channels, so front gives the best detail.

Have fun!

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 04:59:35 am »

It boils down to budget: the exasound e-18 sounds very very good. For a cheaper option i would go with an asus hdav 1.3 deluxe with separate h6 board which produces very good results and offers op-amp tuning on all channels

Anyway re initial question let us know if the 3dac setup works and keeps in sync.

audunth

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 06:52:21 am »

why use usb dacs for 5.1. Use a good professionnal soundcard like a lynx twoB or an RME Fireface800 and you'll solve your problems

Depends on what your "problem" is. I explained in the post above why that's not a solution for me.

Quote from: sergedc
3. Async: 2 of you seems to disagree on the impact of using Async USB on the timing issue. Does it make it worst because you use the Dac's clock or better because you use the PC's clock?  From a logical strand point the 1st option seems the most likely. Given async is buttered, the speed at which the sound goes out is not related with the PC at all => making it worst. If someone could confirm, that would be great.

In theory, async should be better, but I've seen roundups by DACs where non-asynch DACs beat the async ones hands down. Many other things also matter for sound quality, for example the analog stage (outputs) of the DAC. Some producers apparently disagree that asynch is the better option, for example Hegel, which even in their top of the line $2500 HD25 doesn't use asynch.

That point aside, the reason async is a drawback in this discussion is because we are talking about using multiple 2 channel DACs which would have to use the same clock. However I don't think it's as simple as using non-async DACs, since some of them have reclocking circuitry, probably one thing that can make up for the async "advantage".

As far as I know there is only ONE DAC on the market made solely for the purpose of audioplile grade multichannel sound (the Exasound e18), but if MC supported using multiple 2 channel DACs with some syncing options it would open up a whole new market, since one could pick and choose and mix and match from a zillion good 2 channel DACs in all price ranges.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 07:08:37 am »

With regards to JRiver, the key question is: is there a way to configure how JRSS downmix the channels? If so, we could ask JRSS to keep Center/Sub for Zone1 and to keep FrontL/FrontR for Zone2....

The Parametric EQ can do this.

The problem is that the Output Channels will still be "wrong".  In order to have MC recognize that the "device" (a virtual device) is 6-channel, you'd have to set Output Channels to 5.1.  You almost could:

1. Make a Zone for each DAC.
2. Set Output Channels for Each to 5.1.
3. Set Parametric EQ to delete the channels not needed for a particular DAC (delete everything but the front mains for one, everything but the sub and center for another, etc), and remap them to as needed to the front main channels.
4. Link the three Zones.

But, the issue is that none of the DACs would work right, because they'd still be receiving a 6-channel source (just with 4 blank channels).

In order to do it, you'd need an actual virtual "sound card" that you could set as 5.1, and then route IT to the individual DAC Zones (each of which would be set to the proper 2 channels).  This functionality isn't built into MC.

But, it isn't built into MC because it wouldn't work very well.  The Linked Zones in MC are very low latency, but the system is designed to be able to link multiple zones even over the network (and all sorts of other considerations), it isn't designed to be ZERO latency (this isn't possible).  Even if you managed to get it incredibly close, the different DACs are very likely to be out of phase with each other.

Ergo, you wouldn't be helping sound quality, you'd be hurting it, compared to what you could get with HDMI output and a decent receiver in 8-channel PCM mode.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:34 am »

many of the professional audio-interfaces have a clock input.
Yyou can make master or slave and even get the clock from a horrificly costly and precise clocksource which you distribute to all other DACs.
If cost is no concern, you can get al you want.
The lowest price for the best quality you pay by using an all in one solution. i.e. 6 outputs in one box.
Just ignore the inputs mic-maps etc.

RME
Lynx
Apollo
Motu
Steinberg
etc.

Here a Hig-End one with clock sync input:
http://www.weiss-highend.ch/dac202/index.html
(an RME for example will give you of a fraction of the cost more..)
The Weiss one is really nicely built, so if you want something for the eye, then its another question..

Peter

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:42 am »

Depends on what your "problem" is. I explained in the post above why that's not a solution for me.

In theory, async should be better, but I've seen roundups by DACs where non-asynch DACs beat the async ones hands down. Many other things also matter for sound quality, for example the analog stage (outputs) of the DAC. Some producers apparently disagree that asynch is the better option, for example Hegel, which even in their top of the line $2500 HD25 doesn't use asynch.

That point aside, the reason async is a drawback in this discussion is because we are talking about using multiple 2 channel DACs which would have to use the same clock. However I don't think it's as simple as using non-async DACs, since some of them have reclocking circuitry, probably one thing that can make up for the async "advantage".

Setting aside the question of whether Async DACs are better or worse in general, in this situation they're probably worse for what OP is planning, but a non-asynchronous DAC probably won't work either (as I noted above).  

Most dedicated DACs (that aren't asynchronous) have some reclocking to account for jitter.  The stereo DACs I attempted to use for my bi-amping solution (described above) were not asynchronous and were fully USB compliant (required no drivers), which means that they should have (in theory) been using the MoBo's clock for sync.  Notwithstanding that they were of the same make and model, they still desynced over time at varying rates (they'd drift apart faster sometimes than others).  There's really no easy way to account for variable rate desyncing.  An array of asynch DACs would be guaranteed to be out of sync for the reasons described above (although there's a chance they might be out of sync in a more predictable manner).

Obviously if you're using multiple stereo DACs that can be master-slaved or otherwise synced to a master clock you're in a different position, but an array of USB stereo DACs without that capability won't work, even if you manage to rig up the channel routing with ASIO4All or virtual audio cable.  It would almost certainly be cheaper (and likely to sound better) to try one of the multi-channel DACs described above.

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:52 pm »

Anyway, I bet even a cheap $350 Hegel HD2 would wipe the floor with any studio sound card costing twice the price.
have you ever listenned to the lynx or the rme I mentionned ?
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

audunth

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

have you ever listenned to the lynx or the rme I mentionned ?

No, I haven't.

I'm generally very sceptical about internal sound cards because of all the noise inside a PC, unless you build one with a linear powersupply such as the Core Audio PSUs starting at $800. Of course, the noise can even leak through the USB cable, but at least there are USB filters/power supplies that can fix that, and the more expensive DACs have such filters/solutions built in. Like the Exasound with its galvanic separation. Besides, the Lynx Two B is 5 times the price of the Hegel HD2 here in Norway, and the RME is 7 times the price of the HD2. I'd much rather have 4 HD2s for a much more flexible and upgradeable setup.
Another reason I'm sceptical to a pro card is that I don't want to pay a lot of money for a zillion fancy features I'll never use and most likely will complicate the signal path, which is not ideal for audiophile use.

Getting a Lynx card just to try out the sound quality is just too much hassle, but it would be fun to compare it to various USB DACs, to see (hear!) if my scepticism would be brought to shame. If anyone has (on a REALLY good system) please share :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Lynx Two B is only 6 channels, so I would still need an additional 2 channel DAC for the last 2 channels.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

pcstockton

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 04:17:53 pm »

As much of a snob as I am about my 2 Channel audio (full Naim Audio system), I couldn't care less about the quality of my 5.1 for watching a documentary, a baseball game, HBO show, or a movie.

I spent about $700 on an nice Energy 5.1 speaker set-up and about $400 on a Yamaha receiver.  Sounds great to me.  I simply take the spdif-out of my cable box and jam it into the Yamaha.  Since it does not have HDMI i use a M-Audio Transit (USB to spdif) to send spdif to the Yamaha from my HTPC/J River.  It passes along Dolby/DTS.  Sounds great and no fussing with multiple cards, drivers, etc...

I am surprised your "audiophile" tendencies extend to your TV watching.  Without going to a dedicated theater room with treatments, I cant see a reason to spend a ton of money in this area.  Major diminishing returns are in play with home theater.  It seems like all you need is sufficient volume and a rumbling sub.

If SQ for TV is that important, why not get a higher end processor like a Parasound or something similar.  I just cant see a reason to do this in the computer domain.  But maybe I am missing something.

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

audunth

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:08 pm »

We all have different priorities. I do have a dedicated home theater, and to me good sound from a movie is just as important as for music. Why do you think they even invented the lossless HD audio codecs they put on Blu-rays?

Besides, my speakers in the living room is also hooked up to the computer and receiver in the home theater. We have come to a time when you can get just as good (or even better!) sound from a computer than any other audio source.

A dedicated DAC is a higher end processor like a Parasound...they even make a DAC. Only 2 channels, of course.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

audunth

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »

Any updates on this? I'm about to add another sub or two to my setup, which means the feature of using several DACs at the same time becomes even more needed, since I would need a 9 or 10 channels, which even the Exasound don't have.

Also, I'm about to get a 2ch DAC for my front channels to start with, and obviously don't want to reach back and disconnect/reconnect the cables every time I want to listen to multichannel content...
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 10:13:24 am »

I don't really think that JRiver will provide the ability to output to multiple DAC's for movies due the limitations already listed in this thread.

Unless you need to provide different distance settings for each sub, you could just use a y cable for adding additional subs. I use stereo subs so I do use two outputs, but have used y cables for other installations.

I understand the desire for the best sound quality, but I don't understand the reluctance of some to use pro audio equipment. Almost all the music and movies we listen to were recorded with pro audio equipment and sometimes the final content has already gone through several A/D and D/A stages. I think the AudioFire12 is a great solution for one needing many channels.

One other suggestion, if you aren't concerned with clocking issues, is to get a pro audio device that has digital outputs. You can use the pro audio device to present itself as a single multichannel device for JRiver. With the audio drivers, you can route the output channels to either analog or digitial. For example, I can route channels 1 & 2 out via digital to another DAC. I could use that DAC for my mains and the remaining analog channels on the pro audio device for my surrounds and subs. This allows the use of a "high quality" DAC for two-channel listening and uses it with the other channels of the the pro audio DAC for multi-channel listening. No reconfiguration is required.

For this to work, you would need to make sure the pro audio device has digital outputs and that the drivers support internal routing. My Steinberg UR824 allows for this. I have 8 analog outputs and two digital outputs.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:30 am »

If you're a crazy person and you want to try, you might be able to pull it off with Virtual Audio Cable.

Did you try this?

It might be exactly what you're looking for...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »

Did you try this?

It might be exactly what you're looking for...

Actually, out of curiosity I tried rigging this up with virtual audio cable last weekend. To be clear, I'm not OP, and I don't need this functionality, but I have some extra DACs laying around and thought I'd try and see. 

You can kind of get it working, but 1) the sync problem was definitely a serious issue as described above (gradual drifting apart at differing rates so it was unlistenable within a minute or two), and 2) it sounded terrible.  That might be a function of me being a novice with VAC (I am a licensed user, so I have the full version, I just don't use it much), but it sounded pretty awful (lots of pops and drop outs). 

I'd recommend that OP try this approach so he can see for himself that whether the sync issue will be crippling in his use case, but I'd be amazed if his DACs all re-clocked to the same exact rate.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 12:35:41 pm »

I also own VAC and really wouldn't recommend using it.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:39 pm »

Hi, I am the owner of a recording.mixing studio.
I make surround mixes for bluray and other formats.
You want quality, but keep in mind that you cannot make the sound better than what we, mixing studios deliver.
I record and mix with Pro Tools HD equipment like most professional post recording studios use, everything is as flat qua sound as possible.
If you want more bass or highs at home, you do this with an EQ.
I also have Avid mBox Pro's, a big Alesis digital mixing table, and MOTU 828mk3 hybrid and steinberg MR816X in the home theater cinema room,
where clients or I watch and listen to the finished stuff on big screen.
With motu or rme you can do exactly what you want, heck. even the steinberg/Yamaha is ok.
Why use 3 audio DAC USB or firewire cards for a HTPC, if you can do it with one?
Finally it's your power amps and speakers that are the most crucial for getting high quality audio.
Also keep in mind that most people can't hear higher than 13 kHz. 24 bit is more important than 96 or 192 kHz.
What setup are you using for power amps or av receivers and speakers?
Where are your zones exactly located?
Do you go digital or analog from your htpc to the avr of poweramps?

pcstockton

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »

Finally it's your power amps and speakers that are the most crucial for getting high quality audio.

Strange.... I would contend that it is the source that is most important.  Then the power arrangement, i.e. ultra low noise linear power supplies with HUGE toroids and high-end smoothing caps.  Then the preamp!  Then amps.  Then the listening room....... then speakers.

my $0.02
-Patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 07:34:55 pm »

Strange.... I would contend that it is the source that is most important.  Then the power arrangement, i.e. ultra low noise linear power supplies with HUGE toroids and high-end smoothing caps.  Then the preamp!  Then amps.  Then the listening room....... then speakers.

For me, it is usually the bourbon.  ;)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »

Am I missing something? Isn't this why we have HDMI, so DACs can operate independently from the computer?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 07:46:11 pm »

For me, it is usually the bourbon.  ;)

Bourbon has, by far, the greatest influence on the sound of my set up too.  We should write a paper on using whiskey to improve audio system performance  ;D

Nyal Mellor

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 08:24:56 pm »

my $0.02
-Patrick

That's because your a NAIMophile! Ask most people they will say speakers then room, then everything else.

Nyal Mellor

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »

You could do what I am doing which is using a Lynx AES16e card to provide up to 16 channels of digital out. Then I'm using external DACs. Sync both the DACs to each other then sync the AES16e to that.

audunth

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 06:15:34 pm »

You could do what I am doing which is using a Lynx AES16e card to provide up to 16 channels of digital out. Then I'm using external DACs. Sync both the DACs to each other then sync the AES16e to that.

Finally someone who actually provides a possible solution :) Have you tried comparing sound quality going through the Lynx card vs USB to one DAC? If the DACs you're using have USB in, that is.

Even if it is a possible solution, it's really an expensive workaround. I'm 100% sure that if the clever people at JRiver put their heads together, it would be possible to use several sound cards for a multichannel setup. How would sync be a problem when MC (and ReClock) already has the ability to sync the sound to the picture? Why shouldn't the same technology be able to sync several sound cards to the same video stream? Also, doesn't videofiles have timecodes for both the audio and video to make sure they're in sync? I really don't understand the problem....but then again, I don't know the technology behind ReClock and MC's VideoClock work, and how one sound card manage to keep in sync with the video.

Whether or not the ability to sync several sound cards is a priority at JRiver, that's another thing, of course...
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:18 am »

For mojave:

i want to know if Steinberg UR824 support jriver auto change sample rate without problem and if do this without pop/bump from analog output, i want to use UR824 as multichannel pre-dac for music/film so it is linked directly to poweramp.
Actually i use Phonic Firefly 808U to do this but on sample rate change terrible bump come out loudspeaker...with  other my Emu 0204 interface i listen only one little "TIC" on change sample rate and go on!!!!

Which Dac chipset have on board the UR824...do you known?

THanks....

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 12:15:06 pm »

I don't think it makes any noise when switching sample rates. I usually don't play anything sequentially with different sample rates so I'll have to check again. My HTPC is hooked back up yet since I took it to an audio GTG last weekend.

There is a thread at Gearslutz that lists AD & DA chips of many audio interfaces, but the UR824 isn't listed.

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:01 pm »

if you can try noise on change sample rate for me i will appreciate! :)

i've no problem on firewire/usb/ PCIex I'am undecided about Motu 828 MK3,UR824,RME Fireface UCX/800 or EMU 1616M (seem don't support auto change sample rate!!!).

.....i want to choose best quality/price ratio!

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 05:50:42 am »

news on bump on change sample rate?  :'(

Thanks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 09:15:31 am »

I've been testing a new DAC and each night I tell myself I need to hook the Steinberg back up . . . but I haven't done it yet. I should be able to check tonight.

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

thx i'm waiting 4U!

is true that the ur824 use Asynchronous USB?
you can confirm me that is now compatible (firmware upgrade) with 192/24?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:17 am »

I have verified with the Thesycon USB Descriptor Dumper that it uses Asynchronous USB. I hadn't seen the firmware update. I'll install it and see what happens.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »

I installed the firmware update to my Steinberg UR824 and played back both 192 kHz and 176.4 kHz files. I did make sure to reset the sample rate in Output Format to No Change for all rates. They played just fine. The Steinberg lit up the 96 and 48 kHz lights for 192 kHz and the 88.2 and 44.1 kHz lights for 176.4 kHz.

I also played several files in a row of various sample rates. I couldn't hear any clicks on any sample rate changes with my ear up to the speaker. Also, I usually leave my subwoofer amps on and never hear more than a soft pop when turning the UR824 on/off. With my main speakers it is a little louder, but not annoying or bothersome. I recently had an Aurora 8 in my system and it has pops that are about 10x louder.

I have been using the UR824 in my 7.1 system for a little over a year now and it is the most home theater friendly pro audio device I have tried.  8)

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:08 am »

Thanks...thanks...thanks.....

i've also send an email to steinberg to known which chipset use on UR824 for DA/AD....waiting for answer!

so i think is perfect for me to use like pre/dac between pc(jriver) and power amp for music stereo and 5.1....

thanks  a lot for your availability.

;)

luckyaua

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 07:52:21 am »

Hi Mojave
....today i've ordering the UR824 interface  ;D
 so...in 2 days is at my home.....
then i try it and give a feedback to a community!

Pages: [1]   Go Up