INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS: DLNA vs. Mounting as drive  (Read 2521 times)

moosehunt63

• Recent member
NAS: DLNA vs. Mounting as drive
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »

Please help a noob out. I have JRiver v19 on both a Mac and a PC. I recently purchased a Synology DS413 to house all of my digital music (all in FLAC format). I have a question and a problem. First the question, am I better off using the synology as a DLNA server and the JRiver software on both machines as the DLNA controller? Or, should i just mount the synology as a drive on both machines? Now, the problem...right now the DLNA route is working, but JRiver isn't auto updating the DLNA library to reflect changes on the server. When I add new music or update meta data on the server I can't get the library view in JRiver to reflect my changes. Any advice and help on both questions is much appriciated.
Thanks!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: NAS: DLNA vs. Mounting as drive
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:11:46 pm »

Probably just use the Synology DS413 as a file server.  Configure MC's auto-import to import the UNC file paths, and you're good to go.  You can probably just disable (or not use) the Synology's DLNA service and use MC's.

You can probably use Media Server to have one master library on one system and let the other connect to its library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

moosehunt63

• Recent member
Re: NAS: DLNA vs. Mounting as drive
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »

I hadn't thought of using one of the machines as the master library and then connecting the other to pull from it. I'll play around with that. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up