INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Competition: "MC's Pimped my....."  (Read 8215 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Competition: "MC's Pimped my....."
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:53:15 pm »

There have been a few posts over the last couple of years where users have attempted to create a system in "unusual" ways.  Sure they all have MC at the core but I've seen efforts of custom installs in Cars or decisions to home "build" (aka Ghetto) various components that are normally left to the professionals.  Take Matt as an example.  Smart guy but has the urge to build his own speakers and amps....and I'm really not too sure on his Home Theater build!

Anyway I used to think this was nuts but I've now built my own Ghetto UPS and after a recent thread about Media Streaming to a treadmill I've now "MC's Pimped my Treadmill"!  figured I'd just joined the crowd.

I'm sure there are more example of what you have used MC to Pimp, care to share?  Points will be awarded for:
- Construction primarily using Cable Ties or (of course) Duct/Cloth/100 mph tape
- Re-purposing old stuff

Points will be deducted for anthing looking like a professional was involved!

I'm sure we could get Jim to chip in a prize for the most "creative" use of MC (like a beer holder).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Competition: "MC's Pimped my....."
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:10:17 pm »

MC's Pimped my Treadmill

OK, I have one of those fancy treadmills with a Android Tablet built in to do stuff but it is only 7".  Hardly what you would call an "immersive experience" and the speakers are beyond ordinary.  I had tried using my 10.1" Tablet to watch episodes of "The Walking Dead" while running (perfect for motivation IMO) but still it was not enough and you have to use headphones to hear anything over the machine and my pending cardiac arrest.

So here is my "MC's Pimped my Treadmill" effort for which I needed:
- PC Monitor (I purchased a 24" Benq GL2450 as it had HDMI and Speakers) but you can use your own : $150
- Old PC Speakers - Free (had to dust them off - even have a nice dent in one of the cones)
- WD TV LIVE - Free (well I bought it last year but have not been able to get it to work - It really cost about $50 after a cash back)
- and of course Cloth Tape, some Rubber Matting, an Elastic Strap, a Luggage Strap, Cable Tube
- Red Wine

Basically I just lashed the Montor to the back of the Treadmill with the Luggage and Elastic Strap with the bits of rubber to stop any rubbing.  I then Taped the speakers to the unit and connected it all up pushing the wires in a cable tube or just stuffed them behind the machine.

Surprisingly, the monitor does not shake when running on the machine and is nice and "in your face".  I think the "quality" of the home build comes through nicely and is topped off by the dodgy WD TV Live that keeps dropping out if you use it's GUI to pull DLNA content from MC, so for Bonus Points, I use Gizmo on the Phone to drive the whole thing and it is rock solid.

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Competition: "MC's Pimped my....."
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:26 pm »

You can see from this picture how it was lashed to the console of the running machine, though the bits running up to the back of the monitor is a left over from my Ver 1 attempt that failed (I tried to use an artists easel and was using the VESA mount points and some wire ties to then cable ties the two together).  Ver 1 was abandonted due to it being so top heavy that any bump would have seen the while think fall over.  I think leaving the Ver 1 stuff attached gives the whole build even more appeal!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up