INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Customize Views + Xbox 360  (Read 1898 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
DLNA Customize Views + Xbox 360
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:53:40 pm »

Hi, I have an XBox and a PS3, and I serve audio to both via MC.  I have a ton of music, so I have tried to customize the view in the DLNA servers to take advantage of the Grouping feature (i.e. group by [A-Z]) which loads much faster over the network...as opposed to trying to fetch the list of all artists.

This works great on the PS3, but it is not working for me on the Xbox.  Under Customize Views in the DLNA settings for my Xbox server...under Audio, I specified the following for Artist:

1. Album Artist (auto)
  • Grouping 1 level

2. Album Artist (auto) sort ascending
3. Album

When I browse it on the XBox, I go to Artist and it shows me [A-Z], I pick a letter, and it shows me all artists starting with that letter.  I choose an artists, and it is empty.

The same configuration works as expected on PS3.  Is there something about the Xbox + DLNA that I need to understand to make this work?

Thanks in advance

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Customize Views + Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »

I don't think you can do this. The Xbox isn't a true DLNA device, it uses fixed container categories.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »

I don't think you can do this. The Xbox isn't a true DLNA device, it uses fixed container categories.

Ouch, this is bad news.  Are you certain there is no way to get it to work?  It seems like it is close...I can display a grouping of artists [A-Z], and under an individual letter I'm shown artist names that start with the letter...but navigating further results in nothing.

I really want this feature, as it takes quite a while to load the list of all artists in my database.  I'll be happy to fire up Wireshark or do anything that may prove helpful in diagnosing if this is possible.  I write software for a living, so I'm familiar with the low level details, and even the DLNA protocol to some extent.

Let me know if there's some way I can help get this working...

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:46:06 pm »

I don't think there is anything you can do about this.
You could look over this document NetCompat_WMP11.doc(x) if you can find it on the net. It describes the layout and the fixed container ID's.

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »

Thanks for the feedback here, bob.  I was struggling with a related customized view issue with my Xbox 360.  It comes as no surprise to me that Microsoft chose a non-DLNA standard route with their fixed containers. 
Kerr
Pages: [1]   Go Up