INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB/Free DB  (Read 1245 times)

matthias urban

YADB/Free DB
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:18:00 am »

I try to update ripped CD in flac-format with its track number automatically via the online database function. YADB only returns several titles (i.e. 3 from one CD with 11 tracks) instead of a complete disc's result. I know that Free DB holds that information as the original rip was done with Media Monkey using free db. What's the proper way to get full results from YADB or usinf Free DB instead of YADB?

Thanks for sharing any hint.

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: YADB/Free DB
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:53 am »

One workaround is to use Locate (External) to go to the actual folder and use Mp3Tag to tag the audio files using FreeDB (or discogs or MusicBrainz) and then in MC18, select the same files and do an Update Library (from tags).

kstuart

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:47:43 am »

4.5 years later, everything is exactly the same:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48731.0

;D

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:26 am »

4.5 years later, everything is exactly the same:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=48731.0

;D

I follow new music pretty closely, and as a result I rip a lot of CDs that have only been out for a few weeks or months.  To be clear these are professionally made CDs, from music labels, with UPCs, not home-made Cd-Rs or local micro-label releases .  My hit rate with YABD is about 50/50 (half the time the CD lookup finds mostly complete, correct information, half the time it finds nothing or info too incomplete to be useful).  And it's almost always missing a few pieces of standard metadata, i.e. date/year is missing 90% of the time, but that's an easy fix even for me  ;D

My workaround isn't ideal, but I've found that the default lookup databases in Windows Media Player are more complete (around a 95% hit-rate and more metadata is usually included).  So my usual methodology when I get nothing from JRiver's lookup is to just rip the CD in WMP; then JRiver picks up the correctly tagged files afterwards.  

WMP's ripping module isn't as nice as JRiver's, but it's a fast and easy workaround that solves the vast majority of my problems with incomplete tag info in JRiver.  My experience is that the same holds true for look up of tracks already in the library (the WMP databases have more and better info than YADB).  

It's probably not as clean a solution as the one Kstuart suggested, but it's free and easy.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »

EAC or even a properly configured fb2000 are also good options for CD lookups/ripping.

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:36:32 pm »

MP3tag is also free, if that wasn't clear.

It has similar features as "Fill Properties from Filename" and "Clean File Properties", by the way.

If you are techie person, then the freeware ripper Exact Audio Copy has a reputation for accuracy.

Both programs are German.
Pages: [1]   Go Up