INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC fields are filled automatically with tag info: how can I prevent that?  (Read 2218 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe

I've had the feeling the last couple of months that some of the lyrics I'd changed in MC didn't make it through my backup/restore routine.
Today I found the prove: I changed the lyrics of a song and some 5 minutes later I made a backup of the database. When I was home I restored the database and checked the lyrics of that song... The changes weren't there.
Other changes which I made earlier that day were just fine.

I think it's a bug, but maybe I've overlooked something.

Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

MarkCoutinho

Re: Last lyrics corrections not always backed up
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:14:17 am »

Hold it! It's a 'kind of' feature that's causing my problems. I just checked again.
The restore is correct (I can see the lyrics are changed), however... MC picks up the lyrics from the mp3-file (its tagged lyrics) and overwrites it in the database. Must be a feature, but I want to switch it off.

Where in the options can I find this feature (must be something like 'fill properties from file tag automatically')
Mark Coutinho

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:08:31 am »

sorry don't get what you want to do?

do you want to update the lyrics metadata only in the jriver library? -- autoimport issue probably

or do you want to update lyrics tag in your library and write changes to your original, physical file and update the database? -- sync issue probably  with maybe a library field config to verify

I assume you would want to do the second one .. could you confirm, plz

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:12:46 am »

sorry don't get what you want to do?

do you want to update the lyrics metadata only in the jriver library? -- autoimport issue probably

or do you want to update lyrics tag in your library and write changes to your original, physical file and update the database? -- sync issue probably  with maybe a library field config to verify

I assume you would want to do the second one .. could you confirm, plz

Thanks, Arindelle, for your answer. I think you're right with your assumption.
I try to explain it in another way:
- on computer A I make changes in the lyrics field of a song in MC
- the tag of the song's mp3 is updated automatically
- I backup the database
- on compuber B I restore the database

What SHOULD happen now is that the metadata of MC are 'pushed' to all mp3's. In this case the lyrics of the song I changed on computer A.
This is what happens, though: MC reads the tag info of the mp3 and 'pushes' that into the database.

Hope you get what I mean. And, even better: hope you can help me with a solution!
Mark Coutinho

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:50 am »

What SHOULD happen now is that the metadata of MC are 'pushed' to all mp3's. In this case the lyrics of the song I changed on computer A.
This is what happens, though: MC reads the tag info of the mp3 and 'pushes' that into the database.
   "What YOU WOULD LIKE TO happen" is what you should say. :D Restored data is not pushed automatically between separate libraries, so if you have sync configured to run in the background it will overwrite the changes. If you edit tags on PC-B however and if you have the lyrics tag set to write to file it will "push" it to the file. (not recommended you want one master library and one master set of Mp3s I would think)

After restore you would need to run in library tools "Update Tags from Library" (right click after selecting files) on PC-B.

hope you can help me with a solution!
Yes there is a solution, no worries.  But ... do you mean that you have two libraries with two sets of duplicate content on the hard drives of each PC? If you do and the reason is PC-B is a portable that you take out of your house every day - there's a workflow for that and you are missing a step and should probably change an option or two.

If they are two mostly stationary machines they should be networked regardless IMHO and a different solution/workflow applies.

And if the two PCs are sharing content found on one of the machines or a NAS, you are already networked and you shouldn't be restoring anything to the secondary PC,  you should be using a shared library that can be loaded on both machines (PC-A would be the media server and PC-B would be the client) -- here I can think of two workflows that could apply.

So .... Which scenario is it? and do you actually duplicate the content on both machines or am I still misunderstanding?

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:32:45 am »

One pc is at the office and the other one at home.
They both have a drive with all the mp3's on it that are in my database.

I sync them every day by backing up and restoring. That way I always have a copy of the database and files somewhere in case of fire or burglary.

And, yes, I WOULD LIKE TO happen that the mp3's on the restored machine leave my database alone :-)

I hope you can give me the golden tip!
Mark Coutinho

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

This probably is a case of sync conflicts.

MC compares the Date Modified field of the file in the Library with the file on disk.

When the date of the file on disk is more recent than MC's record, MC knows it must perform an Update library (from tags) - that is, read the tags from the file.

When the dates are essentially the same, as would be the case when MC just wrote the library tags to the physical file, no work needs to be done.

But your method is creating the atypical case, where the file's date is older than MC's Date Modified.  This would require a Merge operation, to compare the tags in the file with the tags in the Library.  And I don't know what MC does in this case.  Your experience suggests it merely reads the file's tags and updates the library, so this may be how it resolves sync conflicts - the file always wins.

You have the option to Disable tag writing when file info changes.  But then all Library changes will require manual updates via Update tags (from Library).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MarkCoutinho

Thanks, MrC for this explanation and workaround for my problem.

However: I do hope MC / JRiver can shine a light on this case and provide me with a real solution.

In the meantime, however, I'm gonna switch off automatic tag writing.
Mark Coutinho

MarkCoutinho

Bump

I would like to see a reaction of one of the developers, as it's a quite annoying workaround I'm stuck with now.
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up