INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musi I have Windows Media Ctr installed on Windows 8.1?  (Read 3287 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Musi I have Windows Media Ctr installed on Windows 8.1?
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »

I'm having real problems getting JRiver TV set up on my server to work. Using Homerun HD Prime, 3 cable cards.

So, I first thought I,d ask if its necessary to have W Media Center installed.

Thx

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Musi I have Windows Media Ctr installed on Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:11:12 am »

I'm having real problems getting JRiver TV set up on my server to work. Using Homerun HD Prime, 3 cable cards.

So, I first thought I,d ask if its necessary to have W Media Center installed.

Thx

I would say no, very probably not if DVB-T Tuner HDHR3-DT setup is any guide.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83142.0

When you configure the tuner at first setup, you need to select the media playback software that it will work with. There's no option to multi-task. Prime might be different but I don't think so.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »

You don't need it installed once everything is set up...the only reason you might need it is for the initial setup of the cable card pairing...I don't remember how that works (I use a prime as well)...I just upgraded to Win 8.1 a few months ago and did not install WMC and have no issues.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:44 pm »

Thanks for replying guys. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but got burnt out trying to get it set up this weekend. I'm sure it's something simple.....will try again in a couple days.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:34:08 pm »

Yes I did, thx. That and everything else I could find!

My new server with JRiver installed is what Ive been trying to get set up for tv and recording to my Synology NAS. Over the weekend I exhausted my efforts and gave up yesterday. Just needed to walk away for a while.

I also was experimenting periodically on my laptop as it was easier at certain points over the weekend to experiment on. I had no luck with it, till this evening. While i know there remain many adjustments i need to make to get it functioning properly but i now am able to get live tv on the laptop. So my next step will be to start from scratch on my new server and compare with the progress i made on the laptop.

One question.......someone else also mentioned that jriver sees 6 tuners; 3 that start with "silicon" and 3 that start with "HD Homerun". I now realize the "HD Homerun" tuners that configure to either disable or open cable is the correct set and i must move them to the top in order for it to work correctly. But how do delete the other 3 that offer "digital" configuration?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:04:11 am »

One question.......someone else also mentioned that jriver sees 6 tuners; 3 that start with "silicon" and 3 that start with "HD Homerun". I now realize the "HD Homerun" tuners that configure to either disable or open cable is the correct set and i must move them to the top in order for it to work correctly. But how do delete the other 3 that offer "digital" configuration?

If you install SiliconDust software/driver without having a CableCARD inserted in the device, I believe BDA drivers are installed, as the tuners can be used as either ATSC/QAM tuners or CableCARD tuners.  Inside MC the BDA devices have names that ends with "(digital)" whereas CableCARD devices have names that end with "(OpenCable)".

You can not delete devices from within MC.  You can disable them.  On TV Options, select those devices one at a time, and click Configure... button.  Set "Tuner Type" to "Disabled".  In any case, even if you do not do anything, these devices will not interfere with your use of CableCARD tuners as MC treats them as in different categories and will only pick a CableCARD tuner for playing CableCARD channels.

Did you run HDHomeRun Setup program to make sure the tuners are set up correctly?  Under Tuners tab, make sure you set "Source Type" to CableCARD.  Under CableCARD tab you should be able to scan for channels using any one of the three tuners.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:33 am »

Hi Yaobing. Thx for replying.

My cable cards have been installed for quite some time. So yes, when I installed the drivers, etc they were in and working properly.

I did go thru the setup program as you described. I will be working on the server tonight to see what results I can achieve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up