INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some TV Questions  (Read 5413 times)

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Some TV Questions
« on: September 05, 2013, 03:20:23 am »

Hi All,

Re MC19.0.32

1) When I navigate to the directory specified In Options > Television > Recording > Folder for recording and Time-shifting, I noticed numerous timeshifted recordings scattered through the scheduled recordings. Some were many months old and occupying in total many Gigs of space. How long should the Time-shift TV recordings be stored and shouldn't they be in their own folder constantly overwritten every 4 hours (or specified time) ?

2) In the TV recordings folder there are some sub-folders named after the show which contain jta,jtf, some with additional cnk files. I am guessing they may be from before I changed to recording in .ts format as they are fairly old. Can I delete these folders ?

3) The remaining files in the TV recordings folder are not in sub-folders but are individual .ts files named after the show and with a JR sidecar alongside. None of these .ts files will play in other media players like VLC. Is this expected behaviour ?

4) For no apparent reason today all the TV stations (channel list), fav channels, hidden channels, to be recorded programs were all gone. After fiddling unsuccessfully for a while (rescanning channels etc), eventually a library restore fixed the problem. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and know how to prevent in future ?

Many thanks for any info

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Some TV Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:15:04 am »

Time-shifting and recordings in jtv format use individual sub-folders.  Each session of time-shifting, or each jtv recording, should be in a sub-folder.

A sub-folder contains a number of files, with extensions .jts, .jta, .jtf, .cnk etc. which are part of a time-shifting session.

The base recording folder should only contain recordings in ts format (*.ts files and associated JRiver sidecar files *_JRSidecar.xml).  Other files should not be there.

When a time-shifting session is over (i.e. you press stop button to stop watching), the sub-folder associated with the session should be automatically deleted, unless you also record a show on that channel.  Some times automatic deletion of such folders is not completed correctly and some files are left in the folder without being deleted.  In such case, usually you can tell by recognizing that the folder is incomplete, i.e. it contains some of the files, but not all essential files, you can delete the folder manually.

So the answer is yes, you can delete those sub folders.  They are safe to delete from standpoint of MC running correctly.  The worst that can happen is you delete some jtv recordings with them.

The .ts files in the base recording folder are the recordings in TS format, as I mentioned above.  They should be playable in MC.  Some such files recorded previously are not playable in VLC.  This was due to a bug that has since been fixed.
19.0.26 (8/13/2013)
8. Fixed: Television recordings in transport stream format could be unplayable in other applications, and could have bad quality.

Item 4) is most probably due to a library corruption, i.e. some files on your hard drive went bad. As you have discovered, restoring library from previous backup is the way to go.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:45 am »

Thanks Yaobing for the feedback, good to know.

For me at least the recently recorded .ts files,after the fix, still won't play in VLC. This is not my concern per se but rather they wont play or be seen in my Roku player using Plex server/client (unfortunately Roku is not a DLNA client so can't work with JRiver dlna server, thus the use of Plex). The ts files are the only ones that Plex cannot handle so I experimented to see if VLC could play them.They all play fime in MC.

I came across a thread where there were multiple streams in these problem .ts files. Some of my .ts files had this but recent files appear not to have multiple streams (the VLC > Playback has "program" grayed out).

Thanks again.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »

The .ts files in the base recording folder are the recordings in TS format, as I mentioned above.  They should be playable in MC.  Some such files recorded previously are not playable in VLC.  This was due to a bug that has since been fixed.

None of the recently recorded .ts files play outside of MC eg VLC , Power DVD. Error messages of unsupported format or just blank screens occurs."Media Information" in VLC yield all blank except the title.Is there a setting that needs to be enabled to make them compatible?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »

Can you provide a sample of such recording?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:38 am »

a 16MB clip uploaded to Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/btqvhpmmzb5yjcz/Sample%20Video%202013-09-03.ts

Interestingly it plays on the website but not when dloaded from website (using VLC or PowerDVD or WMP).Clip plays fine in MC.

I got this clip by using a file splitter, HJSplit. Is there a program that uses a gui and scrubs the timeline,cuts and saves clip without transcoding ?

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:25 am »

The clip you provided does not contain any PAT (Program Association Table) packets, nor any PMT (Program Map Table) packets according to MediaInfo.  Is the the result of you using HJSplit or MC recording?  Can you just run MC to record a short clip (half a minute is enough), and provide the .ts file without modification?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 05:58:29 am »

I think thats the way it is from MC, all fields blank.

Have linked to a new directly recorded MC clip and assoc xml sidecar.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aimszo24ubua6jc/Air%20Crash%20Investigation%202013-09-10_ts_JRSidecar.xml
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5awyahgaovz5ay/Air%20Crash%20Investigation%202013-09-10.ts

Once again plays on the dropbox website but not in VLC,Plex/roku etc and all media info fields blank in VLC.

Thanks for help.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:46:04 am »

Thanks for the new samples.  Indeed, there are no PAT and PMT in the recording.  Very strange.

Can you grab a log file showing the process of recording the same channel?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:01 pm »

My analyser says:
100974 Video packets 545
6355 Audio packets 546
897 Teletext packets 548

no mention of PMT or PAT packets.

Clip plays ok in dvbviewer though. Is a PMT/PAT a requirement for a ts file containing one stream?

SBR

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »

My analyser says:
100974 Video packets 545
6355 Audio packets 546
897 Teletext packets 548

no mention of PMT or PAT packets.

Clip plays ok in dvbviewer though. Is a PMT/PAT a requirement for a ts file containing one stream?

SBR

Good point.  Maybe PMT and PAT are not needed.  A player should not need PAT or PMT to play the streams.  So in that sense, VLC is not handling it right.  However, the log shows that MC did successfully parse those tables right after it tuned to the channel.  It is a bit strange that no more PAT and PMT packets came after that.  The latest sample still has no PAT and PMT, and no teletext.  The log indicates that the transport has 7 programs.  The program being recorded has one video, one audio, one teletext stream. 

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »

So in that sense, VLC is not handling it right.   

I also can't get PowerDVD, Windows Media Player or Plex/Roku to play these files. In the case of Plex, it doesn't see/find the files when scanning media folders.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:23:54 am »

Good point.  Maybe PMT and PAT are not needed.  A player should not need PAT or PMT to play the streams.  So in that sense, VLC is not handling it right.  However, the log shows that MC did successfully parse those tables right after it tuned to the channel.  It is a bit strange that no more PAT and PMT packets came after that.  The latest sample still has no PAT and PMT, and no teletext.  The log indicates that the transport has 7 programs.  The program being recorded has one video, one audio, one teletext stream. 

Some googlage suggests that a PAT/PMT are essential for a 'correct' ts file. Maybe some players make an assumption if there is just one audio and video stream. How difficult is it to 'spoof' some PMT/PAT packets at the beginning of the ts file?

SBR

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:41 am »

any possibility of getting these ts files compatible with other players ?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 04:25:38 am »

Please advise if this .ts incompatibility is not a priority to fix. I will buy a DLNA player to work with MC but would prefer to avoid the expense

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 09:15:37 am »

Sorry for not being able to focus on this problem recently.  SBR's suggestion was exactly what I was thinking about.  I will definitely give that a try.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:02:40 pm »

Thanks Yaobing, fingers crossed  :)

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 05:09:48 pm »

Sorry for not being able to focus on this problem recently.  SBR's suggestion was exactly what I was thinking about.  I will definitely give that a try.

Hi Yaobing, now on 19.0.67 and still no luck getting MC recorded Ts files to play outside MC. Is there a fix in sight ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 08:02:05 pm »

19.0.48 (9/27/2013)

1. Changed: When recording television programs in transport stream format, MC will insert PAT and PMT packets if it does not detect such packets in the stream.

It does not work for you?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »

Hi,sorry for late reply. Nope still not working in VLC 2.0.6. Still no codec info showing in VLC.

Have uploaded a new clip and sidecar.Plays fine in dropbox flash player or in MC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbl84jzgfl0mf95/ABC%20News%20Breakfast%202013-12-03.ts
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zspr6xz3wpwza9r/ABC%20News%20Breakfast%202013-12-03_ts_JRSidecar.xml

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:33 pm »

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 01:59:54 am »

Swapping out the dll file produced attached error and crashed MC but happy to keep trying to find an answer,thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:11 am »

Which version of MC are you using?  If not the latest, please update to the latest first, then swap the dll.  If already using the latest, then please wait for a newer version to come out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 07:19:39 am »

Which version of MC are you using?  If not the latest, please update to the latest first.  If already using the latest, then please wait for a newer version to come out.
Latest is currently 19.0.82:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85521.0

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:11:03 am »

Bingo!

The 19.0.87 MC update alone made no difference but with the dll swapped, VLC had no problems playing newly recorded (not old) ts files.

Sadly for me however Plex (on Roku) still unable to 'see' new ts files. I was hoping whatever was stopping VLC  running the files was the same problem for Plex.

Still, thanks for the effort, at least the ts files can now be played outside of MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up