INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transcoding Ma4 (properly .m4a) to wave for an Onkyo DLNA interface.  (Read 2021 times)

transmaster

• Recent member

I have just installed JRiver Media Center 18 (18.0.106) which has made the use of the UPnP/DLNA feature on my Onkyo TX-NR709 a real joy.  The sound is astonishingly better streaming through the network with Windows 8's new WASAPI.  I have one issue.  I have not found a setting to transcode an Ma4 file to WAVE.  The Onkyo will not play any of the lossless modes and they need to be transcoded on the fly to a WAVE file. FLAC,and APE is no problem.  I don't really want to convert the Ma4 files to FLAC as I have a couple of hundred gig's worth of them.  is there a setting for this?

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: transcoding Ma4 to wave for an Onkyo DLNA interface.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:03 am »

I have made the same experience with my Onkyo nr-807 receiver, streaming with dlna is a dramatic improvement to sound quality that outperforms any other connection method from the same PC.
In my DLNA Server setup I have made the following:
Conversion: Convert unsupported formats
Encoder: Uncompressed - L16 No header
In the Advanced section I have checked DLNA, DLNAExtra and Playstation 3 compatible

By the way, where do the filetype .Ma4 come from. I seemed to have missed that one. I do not think it is native supported by MC. Or you maybe have installed a codec for that separately.

transmaster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:06 pm »

I have made the same experience with my Onkyo nr-807 receiver, streaming with dlna is a dramatic improvement to sound quality that outperforms any other connection method from the same PC.
In my DLNA Server setup I have made the following:
In the Advanced section I have checked DLNA, DLNAExtra and Playstation 3 compatible

By the way, where do the filetype .Ma4 come from. I seemed to have missed that one. I do not think it is native supported by MC. Or you maybe have installed a codec for that separately.

Thanks for the setting info I am configuring it now.  I apparently have either a Windows 8 problem or a Creative Soundblaster problem in play back.  I am getting a frequent and very irritating momentary buzz in the play back which I don't have in Network streaming. It did this with an very old SB Audigy card and the brand new SB Recon 3D card that just replaced it.  This is what I get for getting in on the ground floor of a Windows OS  :)

I never though about it until now but I see your confusion with .Ma4 ? I have God only knows how many files with this codex noted, which is flat wrong the file extension should be .m4a. otherwise known as,  ALE, ALAC, or Apple Lossless.   Apparently people editing file tags have miss typed it. Since they play I have not given it a though.  When I look at the detailed file name there it is in the extended file .m4a.  I must have 4 or 500 gig's of .m4a files as if my file are not already royally screwed up by iTunes.   ::)  Thankfully JRiver has at least straightened things out for it's use.

transmaster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »

In the Advanced section I have checked DLNA, DLNAExtra and PlayStation 3 compatible

I have everything configured per your instructions except the last line I can not find where these check offs are located.

Edit: found the settings for the encoder I set it at Uncompressed 24bit and everything is now working. and is transcoding the .m4a files to the wave format, very smooth!   ;D  Playing Middle of Time by Michael Stearns which is the OST to the equally spacey documentary The Mysteries of Chaco Canyon

I am here to tell you an Onkyo AVR with DLNA is all but unusable without JRiver.  The direct control of the AVR's network connection in the windows environment is an absolute game changer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up