INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple playback issues [Solved -- hardware problem]  (Read 1926 times)

Jasgaard

Multiple playback issues [Solved -- hardware problem]
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:51:48 am »

Hi

This is my first post and my newbie questions may have been answered before but I have not been able to find solutions to my playback problems so far.

My system is a Win 8 PC with a Lynx Two B Sound Card and of cause using J River MC 18 for playback.  ;) The intention is to use MC18 for playing mostly Flac files and then also to use the filtering functions in a active crossover configuration. The music is being upsampled to 192 kHz and bitdepth is set to 24 bits. The music is 2 channel and different combination of JRSS and 5.1 or 7.1 upmixing have been tried. All drivers and firmware has been updated to latest versions.

I experience different issues whether I am using ASIO or Wasapi Event style.

ASIO: The music pauses on an irregular basis for buffering. I have been playing with the buffer sizes both in the MC 18 and in the Lynx SW with no effect.

Wasapi Event style: Here I experience what I would describe as channel swapping. During playback the channels can change routing with no help from me.

Please help and thanks in advance.  :)

As a side note it sounds to me as if ASIO sounds better but on Lynx's homepage they recommend not using ASIO with J River. Do you have any comments on this?

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Multiple playback issues
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:47:54 am »

Not sure but is your osd showing buffering and a percentage filling up? If so i would check the source ( network speed if you are taking the source from a NAS) or try to disable the upsampling/upmixing to 192/surround (if this cures it then your pc might not have enough ressources. What MC index do you get ?
Just a thought.

Jasgaard

Re: Multiple playback issues
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:26:44 am »

Hi

Problem solved!  ;D

Looking at different foras including this one let me to believe that my problem could be related to some interupt/priority issue on PCI bus.

These days the PCI bus is on its way out. The consequence of that is that most PCI's buses share a controller with other functions on the MB. This is true for my MB, ASUS P8Z77-M.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77M/

The solution was to see if I could reduce the traffic on PCI bus by shutting down the COM port etc. It did improve things but it did not solve the problem totally. In my search for a solution I also discovered that the PCIE bus does not have the same problem of sharing controller with other MB functions. So maybe that would be another way to look for a solution and then by chance or luck I found this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-Express-Adapter-Card/dp/B0024CV3SA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1363525976&sr=8-7

It should be noted here that I am using

http://www.streacom.com/products/fc10-fanless-chassis/

as my PC cabinet and that I have to use a Riser Card anyway. So the I was not restricted spacewise with this PCI to PCIE adaptor. Since installing this device I have not had a single glitch or similar.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up