INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install key for Media Center 18 (Mac) purchased on Windows PC.  (Read 3026 times)

friwi

Hi there,

I recently downloaded Media Center 18 for Mac on my other Windows PC.
I installed the program on my Mac (Mini), where it is supposed to be. It works, but I don't know how to register/put in the install key on the Mac, so the license for the version should be running out in some time.
I tried to put the program(install key) from my Windows on a stick and then open it on the Mac, but it won't work.

Any ideas how this problem can be fixed? How can I transfer the install key to my Mac, so he can open it..or where do I get an install key for Mac.

Kind regards and many thanks in advance.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Install key for Media Center 18 (Mac) purchased on Windows PC.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:06:11 am »

The current Alpha versions of MC Mac do not require licensing, so you don't have to worry about it at all at this point.

However, when you purchased MC Mac, the license information was emailed to the address you registered.  In the future, when MC Mac does require licensing, it will have a system built-in to handle the license restoration.  Basically, the way it works on Windows is:

1. You have a license key (you already have this).  This is a "serial number" for your copy of MC, which never expires.
2. To apply this license key to a particular copy of MC, you use a special MJR file.  When you made your purchase of MC Mac, one of these MJR files was emailed to you.
3. These MJR files do expire after 14 days, but you can make a new one at any time from within MC by choosing "Restore from Internet" and entering your License Key.  This process is called a "Restore".  Once you have a valid MJR file, you can use it to license as many copies of MC as you'd like within that 14 days (within reason, they should all be on computers you own and control).
4. You can perform up to 10 of these "Restores" per year.  This limit is just to keep those who would try to game the system to install copies of MC on an entire office-full of PCs with only one license at bay.  If you're not doing anything nefarious, don't worry about it.  If you ever run out of Restores for some reason, just come here to Interact and post an explanation of what happened.  The JRiver folks can reset the Restore count and get you fixed up.

Hopefully this helps explain the process.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

friwi

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:31:32 am »

Question answered! Thank you very much. That cleared things up for me!

Arg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:14 pm »

The current Alpha versions of MC Mac do not require licensing, so you don't have to worry about it at all at this point.

However, when you purchased MC Mac, the license information was emailed to the address you registered.  In the future, when MC Mac does require licensing, it will have a system built-in to handle the license restoration.  Basically, the way it works on Windows is:

1. You have a license key (you already have this).  This is a "serial number" for your copy of MC, which never expires.
2. To apply this license key to a particular copy of MC, you use a special MJR file.  When you made your purchase of MC Mac, one of these MJR files was emailed to you.
3. These MJR files do expire after 14 days, but you can make a new one at any time from within MC by choosing "Restore from Internet" and entering your License Key.  This process is called a "Restore".  Once you have a valid MJR file, you can use it to license as many copies of MC as you'd like within that 14 days (within reason, they should all be on computers you own and control).
4. You can perform up to 10 of these "Restores" per year.  This limit is just to keep those who would try to game the system to install copies of MC on an entire office-full of PCs with only one license at bay.  If you're not doing anything nefarious, don't worry about it.  If you ever run out of Restores for some reason, just come here to Interact and post an explanation of what happened.  The JRiver folks can reset the Restore count and get you fixed up.

Hopefully this helps explain the process.

Hi, I am another user hopping onto this thread…. because I also purchased MC Mac using my Win PC and the Install Key seems to do nothing.

When I open my paid-for MC Mac it says "This version of Media Center will timeout on 03/26/13"

Is this something I should worry about?

I tried a Restore today, but it made no difference.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »

It's not something you have to worry about.  They have the timeout so that people don't keep using these alpha versions. 

They don't require a license at this time, so the reason to purchase a mac license now is to help support JR and to take advantage of the discount for purchasing before the product has been released.
Pages: [1]   Go Up