INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: streaming from network ... gear recomendations  (Read 1544 times)

mschneid

• World Citizen
streaming from network ... gear recomendations
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

I understand what equipment is needed for my high quality audio setup.
For audio. I now have a direct system...  I need a PC running MC outputing audio over USB to an asynchronous DAC to my preamp and 2 channel Amp  My sub is connected old school with analog crossovers. for 2.1 sound
I have lots of choices for the PC and the Asynch DACs.
The PC/MC  will be in the same room as my audio system and so i have cosmetic constraints, noise constraints and lenghts of USB cabling limits.
Control of the PC can be direct Monitor  and keyboard), through Android gizmo wirelessly or Tremote wirelessly using a G rated wifi router.
This works well (apple control available as well).  I boot this gear up everytime I want to play music so it is energy efficient.

My question is.  What do I need to do this job wirelesslly at the highest possible level.
How fast of a router is needed (given a family that would also use the wifi net)....  Is an N rated network sufficient or do I need a faster router?
I think that I must have a PC running MC 24/7 ... It can grab files from a NAS attached to the router but it must always be on. and can be controlled by Gizmo or tremote over the wifi network.  There is no version of MC that would run on a server storing my flac media  and allow me to leave the PC off.  Correct?  So both the NAS and MC server PC must be powered up.

What are my options for a wireless streamer with an asynchronous DAC.   (Balanced outputs a plus  but basic  RCA outputs)
Will the streamer / DACs now available handle the high res formats   eg audio files at 196k that I can purchase?

Now, What happens with video...
If I go with a MC PC... then it must output hdmi to my monitor and the to my AV processor /amps ... Alternatively... I could use multichannel sound card to a preamp/amp or directly to a multichannel amp.  Same limits as my audio setup.. (cosmetics, noise, cable lengths)  I can always downgrade to dolgy digital 3xx 5.1 resolution over optical fiber audio.

Wireless??
How fast of a router do I need?
What kind of streamer would feed hdmi to my TV and hdmi audio to my AV Processor for the latest High Resolution movie audio formats.
and 1080p video.   Can the gear handle blue ray file streaming... assuming I have enough NAS storage to store 40Gig blue ray movies.

Thanks

Neco

• World Citizen
Re: streaming from network ... gear recomendations
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:28 am »

A wireless N should be pretty sufficient for the job.  But  wireless comes with its own basket of eggs.   I've never had a wireless setup that didn't have  signal / speed or  other compatibility issues with Windows,  although I am sure these days things are probably better.

As for  HDMI  "wireless" much less to audio equipment,  that's something I've never heard of and (if it exists) I know nothing about, so can't comment on.

Personally, I just use a 5+ year old  X-Fi Xtreme Gamer  with optical out to my receiver, encoding  DDL or DTS  5.1 on the fly.

transmaster

• Recent member
Re: streaming from network ... gear recomendations
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:53:55 am »

Check out Apple TV I think that might be what you are looking for, $99 dollars
Pages: [1]   Go Up