INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not importing full itunes library  (Read 2994 times)

Smoulders

• Recent member
Not importing full itunes library
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:07 am »

Hello!

Brand new to J River and first time poster on the forum here.

Earlier today I downloaded the trial version of JR18.
Having checked the relevant boxes I proceeded to import my itunes library, or so I thought.
Flac files and Alac files have been imported but the vast amount of the library ( mp3 I know, I know! ) have not been imported.

Can someone help me out please?

I must add that I am fairly new to digitised music and don't mind admitting to some confusion over this.

Sorry if this seems stupid but as I say it's all new to me!

Thank you in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Not importing full itunes library
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:00 am »

Welcome.

Double-check where your MP3 files are stored on disk.

Then, make sure that folder is one of the import paths in Media Center > Tools > Import.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:33 am »

Hi Matt
Thank's for the swift reply.
I have added the itunes file to import list as suggested..... erm.... what next?
Confusion!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:50 am »

What path are your MP3 at on disk?  Use Windows Explorer to find them.

Then, in MC do Tools > Import and add that folder.  When you click 'Finish', MC will scan the folder and import any MP3 files.

Good luck :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

Hi Matt

Well.... I thought I'd added the itunes file but a Summary box came up saying "Imported 0 new files"
Perhaps I should have added that not only am I new to digital music but I'm not overly tech savy as well!
Any further input greatly appreciated.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:58 pm »

Bump.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »

You don't add an iTunes "file", but rather the top-level folder of where your actual music files reside.  Did you do this?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »

It would appear not.
How does one do it?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »

Matt mentioned the command to issue - you need to supply the correct folder.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:46 pm »

Thanks Mr C. I will try to resolve this ( very basic ) issue tonight.
I'd just like to add that I'm 68 and as I said not overly tech literate.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »

There is a possibility that MC did import the mp3s too, but you are not finding them. If you select AUDIO from the left hand side, you can search for .mp3 in the top right hand search box, or click on mp3 under filetype if you have such a pane visible.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 01:58:48 pm »

Hello fitbrit
Thanks for input.
Unless I am mistaken the MP3's are now being imported. Just not sure what I did though.
I'm sure they will sound terrible!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:44 pm »

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. I am sorry my answer was a little vague. Pressed for time right now.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 08:06:02 pm »

Hello again

Well despite thinking I had things under control it would appear that I don't.
I fail to understand why Media Centre has not imported the entire content of my itunes. Approximately 80% of my music has not transferred.

Would someone be kind enough to give a childlike explanation that I can understand! Better still a childlike solution would be even better.

Thanks again

* There is also some jittering on the tracks that I have managed to transfer, this is puzzling because I was advised by the makers of my new Chord QuteHD DAC to use Media Player instead of itunes to stop said jitter .

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:48 am »

Hi Smoulders

The music files are not held "inside iTunes" as you seem to believe, but rather iTunes is simply linking-to/playing-back files on your hard disk.
Rather than trying to import the iTunes library file, you need to work out where all the files are actually stored, and add those locations as import folders in MC.

Also, it's worth noting that the actual files hiding behind the iTunes library are not necessarily all stored in the same location on your hard disk.

For example, if you bought all the music from iTunes Store, it's likely the files are stored in the standard folders below:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\
Windows Vista: C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\
Windows 7/8: C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\

However, if you already had a large collection of music, and it was simply imported it into iTunes from its existing location, this music could well reside elsewhere.

If you are struggling to find them all, simply do a search of your computer e.g. looking for all mp3 files:
  • press win+E
  • select "computer" from the tree view on the left
  • press F3
  • type *.mp3 in the search box
  • hit enter

After a while a list of search results will pop up, and a quick scan of the rows should show you where the music is stored.
Find the common root folder(s) for all these files and add them to the MC import.

The jitter will likely be harder to track down / resolve, but a good place to start is ensuring it's configured correctly in MC.
Under Tools > Options, select Audio on the left:

As a good starting point select:

Output Mode: WASAPI - Event Style
Output Mode settings: Select your DAC from the device list and make sure "Open Device for exclusive access" is selected. Leave the "Hardware buffer size" at 100ms
DSP & output format: change "output" for anything above 192KHz to 192Khz, and at the bottom of the "output format" page, select the correct Bitdepth for you DAC (32-bit)

The fact your DAC is 32/192 capable, I assume you have had to install drivers?
If so, it may be that you are better off using ASIO as the output mode, but give the above a go first.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:11:40 am »

Hello sirganty

Many many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I implemented your suggestions and the jitter disappeared immediately. Excellent, thank you.

Unfortunately the 'missing files' issue remains unresolved.
Having followed your instructions I can only conclude that my 'mp3 files' are nothing of the sort. In fact I have next to no mp3 files! ( Utterly clueless I know ).
I have tried searching for AAC files and what came up are those files that I initially transferred problem free to MC. But I have thousands of AAC, MPEG that have not transferred

I have also gone into itunes 'get info' and used the detail for tracks to search in the manner you suggested. The most common return on itunes is that the track is unavailable. In the 'get info' itunes panel the most common return is as follows....
-----------------------------------------
Kind. AAC audio file
Size. xxxx
Bitrate. xxxx
Sample Rate. xxxx
Date Purchased. xxxx
ETC...

Where. iCloud
------------------------------------------
'Where. iCloud'?...... Does that mean that my files are now cloud based hence my inability to find them?
I find it odd that having searched for files using various file formats what turns up I already have in MC.

As you have no doubt realised I am struggling with the technology and indeed correct terms here.
Essentially I have pitched in at a higher level than my understanding and am getting confused and sidetracked by it all!

Thanks again

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:41 am »

Ah ha!

"where. iCloud" is most definitely the culprit.

Do you use itunes match?
I've been considering it myself but i hear mixed reviews.

Anyway, regardless of this, you need to find a way to download all the iCloud based tracks in iTunes; thjis will store them on the computer, and then they will be added to MC.

We should do a quick google to see if there is a quick way of attacking the whole lot in one go.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:18 pm »

Hi sirganty

I have been using itunes for a few years but with no real enthusiasm. The hi fi was silent for quite some time until I bought a Dragonfly usb dac a few months ago. The Dragonfly made me realise that dac's are the way forward! Whilst itunes is functional and has provided a source of digital music its limitations have been exposed by my new Cord dac hence my recent fumblings with MC.

So iCloud is the source of the problem, I will now figure out how to get everything onto the hard drive.

Thanks again for your input it's much appreciated.  Unfortunately I won't be able to do this immediately because I'm away from my pc for a couple of days due to circumstances.

I'll post again hopefully saying that all is well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up