INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8 v8.0..239 Splitting CD's & visualizations.  (Read 1085 times)

DocLotus

MJ 8 v8.0..239 Splitting CD's & visualizations.
« on: April 03, 2002, 10:43:40 am »

Sometimes a CD includes some extra music from a different artist to fill up the CD.  This is often the case with classical & soemtimes New Age. Also some CD's made from older recordings will put two old recordings onto one CD. I often split up the music into two or more artists listings.  When I do this, some of the music plays with the visualizations screen showing & some do not.  If I go to the Playing Now folder, the visualization is showing along with the selection.  So, why do not all selections automatically take me to the Playing Now folder visualizations screen?

Also, Midi files do not show visualizations in the Playing Now folder at all... why?

Overall comment... Any file playing should show visualizations... period!  I should not have to go to the Playing Now folder to see them.  I should be able to simply double click on any file to play it & see the visualizations without having to go to the Playing Now folder as this means I have to manually return to the Media Library folder many times.

This behaviour has always bugged me in several audio programs.  I want visualizations that will show up no matter what audio I am running.  It seems that the visualizations are coming before the audio output, or that they are between the music source & the output.  What I want are visualizations that come after the audio output so that any sound going into my Creative Audigy mixer (or Windows mixer) shows the visualizations.

Creative's old SoundBlaser AWE32 sound card mixer did it right.  It showed any audio source in it's visualizations screen.

It also had one other nice feature that is missing in MJ 8.  That is, two horizontal bars (visualizations) one for the left & one for the right channel.  This made it very easy to match output levels between the left & right channels.  Can this visualization be added to MJ8?

Thanks again & keep up the good work.

cjdshaw

RE:MJ 8 v8.0..239 Splitting CD's & visualizations.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 11:48:52 am »

I don't quite follow your first point. Are you talking about ripped CD's or playing CD's directly? Have you tried turning on "Jump to playing now during playback" under Settings->Options->General?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 11:52:41 am »

Also, MJ will only automatically jump to Playing Now if you queue up more than one file. If you only tell it to play one file, it won't jump to Playing Now.

doclotus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 07:08:27 pm »

Yes, ripping CD's.  I sometimes rip one CD into two albums by changing the album name for each.

Your answer about not going to Playing Now partly answers the visualization not showing up problem.  But, why does it not go to Playing Now for only one selection?  I expect to see visualizations for all music played including only one selection. And yes, I do have "Jump to Playing now during playback" turn on.

I have never cared for the Playing Now method of seeing visualizations.  It is simply not a "clean" way to do things... to much jumping around.  Would like to see it eliminated in favor of an "in place" method of playing (with full visualizations).  This would be much cleaner with less jumping back & forth.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 07:16:20 pm »

I asked about why it didn't jump to Playing Now with one file, too. Basically it used to, but a bunch of people requested it do otherwise and so it's been changed.

As for having a static visualization... sounds like you'd be happier with 7.2. That's how it was set up. The current method is new to version 8. I personally like it better this way. You may want to check out some of the mini-me skins. Some of them allow a constant view of the visualization window, but it's not as easy to queue up songs to play. You can do it, using the Quick Play menu, but it's not as easy as using Mega-Me.

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 02:46:19 am »

Can the Playing Now for only one selection be added back as an option?  I really perfer it this way.  I want ALL music to have a visualization.

and / or

Can playing "in place" (with full visualizations) be added back as an option?  This is the best way to play music, in my opnion.

Also getting back to midi files. I see what you are saying about the sound card actually producing the music but, I have had other audio devices that had visualizations for any sound source including midi's.  Most of them recognized the sound card.  I don't know if they were using the sound card's output or not but they worked.  Hay, it's just software... we programmers can do anything if we think about it long enough, right?

Also, is it posible to simply rip the midi file into a MP3, WMA or any other rippable format?  This would give me visualizations for all my midi's.

cjdshaw

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2002, 01:13:17 pm »

I know it's not the same, but you can use Windowed mode with Always on top. At least that way you can have a positionable vis window whatever you're doing in MJ, but you might have to move it around to see what you're doing
Pages: [1]   Go Up