INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default values in ReplayGain  (Read 1653 times)

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
Default values in ReplayGain
« on: April 03, 2002, 07:39:33 am »

I'm using a mix of mp3gain adjusted and Replay Gain adjusted files. On one machine, replay gain defaults to -6db, on the other to -9.6db if there is no valid entry in the datafield.
My problem now is: Mp3Gain was set to a threshold of 89db, but this is variable. MJ uses (my guess) 83db as threshold value. I this case, |PLS|6db is ok to bring both references to equal level. Is there any default value for Replay Gain if no data are set? (I'm not talking about 'Manual Adjustment' because this one will affect both files)
Udo

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Default values in ReplayGain
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 07:43:06 am »

When a file hasn't been analyzed, MJ uses the average of the analyzed gains for all of the other files in Playing Now.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 07:59:40 am »

Matt,

than, there must be something wrong, because I'm using the same libary and files via network on both systems, and this should result to an equal value or!? (The value for 3.6db (-6 and -9.6db) is in amplitude x1.5 and in outputpower x2.3)

Would it make some sense to make it variable? It gives you the opportunity to match it to the previous coded files.

Udo
Udo

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 08:12:52 am »

The value MJ uses for an unanalyzed file all depends on what's in Playing Now, not what's in the library.

However, if you mean the manual adjustment / preamp for the replay gain, the default is |PLS|6dB.  No real reason for that though... just had to pick something.

-Matt

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 08:35:39 am »

No, I don't mean the manual gain or preamp gain. I'm talking about the averaged value as default. The 6db manual adjustment would be fine to be used in my case, but if one set the mp3gain reference to e.g 95db, this means a difference of 12db between mp3gain encoded files and replay gain encoded files (just an example, they may clip). In case of a variable default for non replay gain files one can set this to -12db, reagrdless the setting of manual gain or preamp gain.

To my understanding, the output would then be:
--> for a replay gain file: 83db |PLS| |manual Adj| |PLS| |preamp gain| |PLS| |replay gain|;
--> for a mp3gain encoded file: 95db |PLS| |manual Adj| |PLS| |preamp gain| |PLS| (-12db). This should result in some equal sound level.

The averaged value could result in totaly different levels (based on the files played before)

Udo
Udo

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2002, 08:47:38 am »

There's no way for Media Jukebox to know "hey, this file was already mp3gained, so don't replay gain it".

Your best bet is to analyze everything in MJ, and forget about mp3Gain.  I guess you could also only use mp3Gain, but that's less cool if you play any other formats along with your mp3's.

Otherwise, analyze your mp3Gained mp3s so MJ gets the proper adjustment for them.

Take care.

-Matt

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2002, 08:49:57 am »

Matt,

I'm just thinking: If one didn't do any adjustments before, the average is the best, if one did adjustments before, an fixed default (set in options) would be the best, so why not have both choices?

Udo
Udo

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2002, 08:52:17 am »

I probabely have to,

Udo
Udo
Pages: [1]   Go Up