INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create your own movie Demo Clips in JRiver  (Read 1721 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
How to create your own movie Demo Clips in JRiver
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:23 pm »

Some of you might own some Blu-ray demo discs, but don't realize how easy it is to create your own demo clips in JRiver. I recently setup demo clips for visuals, surround, music, and bass. I may add an animation category, too.

I use the demo clips when showing off my system of testing various settings.

My demo clips consist of both actual clips from Blu-ray demo discs and virtual clips.

Tagging
I decided it was easiest to use the existing views in JRiver for demo clips. I first change my demo clips with a Media Subtype of TV Show. I then tag them with the Series of Demo Clips and the Season as visuals, surround, etc. This way, when you go into Theater View > Video > Shows and view by Season you will get the selection of Demo Clips. Select Demo Clips and you will now see each "season" which are actually the type of clips. Click on bass and you will drill down to all the bass clips.

Blu-ray instructions
I have the scubasteve and superleo demo discs from AVS Forum. Since JRiver doesn't support Blu-ray menus it is a little more challenging to play clips from a Blu-ray. Also, the titles don't correspond to each clip so you can't automatically create particles. I move the Stream folder out of the Blu-ray structure. I then import each stream and tag with the name of the movie and the appropriate series and season. I delete the streams that aren't necessary. If I think a clip is too long, I shorten it by entering in the playback range in the Playback Range tag.

Virtual Clip instructions
A virtual clip is a Particle you have created from the movie. In standard view you right click the movie and click Stacks > Advanced > Create Particle. I change the name from "Open Range - Particle" to something like "Open Range - Gunfight," "Open Range - Storm," "Open Range - Shotgun," or some other description of the clip. You then click "Play only this range" and enter the playback range. After the particle is created I then set the media subtype, series and season tags.

I have tried putting cover art in the season and series folders, but I can't get it to show for the Demo Clips.

As a final way of keeping things neat, I set my regular views to exclude particles.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to create your own movie Demo Clips in JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

Thanks! As an aside, do you have a list of ScubaSteves demo (v2) clips, and which files they correspond to? I have such a list and have tagged the files in MC accordingly for v1. However, I want to be able to find the WotW clip easily, for example, and not risk ruing my subs with some of the test tones if I'm not prepared for them!

Also, I've found it best not to mess with the MC default fields for my own custom purposes. I'd probably create a new Theater View viewscheme so that my test clips are not accessed via tv shows. A bit more work than your workaround, but in the long run it'll keep things simpler.

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
Re: How to create your own movie Demo Clips in JRiver
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »

Mojave,

This is an excellent tip!  I never used particles and this is great way to set up demos.

I do have one issue I hope you can help with.  I have been trying to setup the Open Range shotgun scene as a demo and cannot get it to work.  My steps are to:
1) Auto Create DVD Title particles.  Six are created.
2) Go into particle for main movie and enter time into playback range.

When I play this particle, it always plays the entire movie starting at the beginning.  For the time scale, it says "live".  I assume it thinks I am playing a "live" stream as I cannot fast forward.  What is strange is that with the other particles that were created, I can set a playback range.

I was wondering if you could tell be the secret you used to get Open Range to work?  

I have current version 18.18.0.158.  If have Open Range as a folder rip (.ifo file type).  I will try to convert to a single filetype to see if that works.

Thanks

UPDATE:  After converting file to .MKV format, I was able to get the Particle to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up