INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of feature suggestions for DSP Studio...  (Read 1319 times)

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
A couple of feature suggestions for DSP Studio...
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:54:26 pm »

The crossover and PEQ capability won me over to JRiver...and here are a couple of suggestions for it.

1.  It would be very handy to have the "Q" listed in each PEQ line.  That way users could see an entire channel in one view and would not have to click individual lines to see Q listed separately below.  (Probably place Q between level and frequency.)

2.  DSP presets.  Studio mixes are all over the place, so it would be nice to have global "preset" buttons to recall a few overall system output configurations (primarily EQ).  For me, 5 would be about right...others may want more???

pluto

• World Citizen
Re: A couple of feature suggestions for DSP Studio...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:34:12 am »

...DSP presets...

Matt's take on the subject...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79074.msg538098#msg538098 so we wait.

I thought the desirability of this feature was a no-brainer, but apparently not...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:24:56 am »

Matt's take on the subject...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79074.msg538098#msg538098 so we wait.

I thought the desirability of this feature was a no-brainer, but apparently not...

As noted in the other thread, I'd be happy with a "copy zone" feature (that would bring along the DSP settings and other settings with it).  But Matt is (rightly) concerned about creating a support nightmare, and I'm content to wait and see what he comes up with. 

Until there's a way to block copy DSP settings, It would be nice to be able to see Q though (when manually transferring over a few dozen lines of PEQ to a new zone it's a pain having to click back and forth between the two lists one by one to match Q's).

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:29:02 am »

Matt is (rightly) concerned about creating a support nightmare
What about an "enable this feature and your world might end" style warning?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:59 am »

What about an "enable this feature and your world might end" style warning?

I'm just feeling a little more sympathetic to his support concerns at the moment, as I just managed to goof up my volume management (with potentially dangerous consequences to my speakers) by enabling a DSP option without thinking through the consequences all the way (see here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79382.0).  Matt and Jim were very polite in helping me sort it out, but I'm feeling a bit chagrinned  :-[

And that kind of thing is part of why I was advocating "zone copy" instead of saving off DSP settings.  "Zone copy" would only be duplicating an already working configuration, so the initial risk would be minimal there.  If you did wind up screwing up a zone, the currently playing zone is much, much more visible in the UI than the current DSP settings, so a user who foolishly modified one of his zones would probably notice what the problem was much sooner.  And it would enable zoneswitching between different EQ settings.

But, like I said, I'm perhaps not the best advocate :-)  I'm happy to wait for whatever solution the good folks at JRiver come up with.

As to Paul W's original query: what you're describing (five or so EQ presets), could be done right now with zones.  You'd just need to manually enter all the settings for each zone, but when you were done you'd have 5 global presets you could switch between.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:56 am »

I'm just feeling a little more sympathetic to his support concerns at the moment

Don't worry, you'll recover  ;)

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

My "vision" for presets is to create one profile, save as Preset 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (all the same).  Then go in and manually tweak 2,3,4, and 5 for differences in program material. 

Manually entering 15 channels of crossover, delays, PEQ, etc and successfully replicating all of it 4 times for 5 zones is, for me, highly unlikely...extremely unlikely without checking/double/triple checking.  So I'll continue to wish for presets/zone copy.

Listing the Q for each PEQ, along with frequency and level, should be doable without introducing undesirable issues?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:00:15 pm »

My "vision" for presets is to create one profile, save as Preset 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (all the same).  Then go in and manually tweak 2,3,4, and 5 for differences in program material.  

Manually entering 15 channels of crossover, delays, PEQ, etc and successfully replicating all of it 4 times for 5 zones is, for me, highly unlikely...extremely unlikely without checking/double/triple checking.  So I'll continue to wish for presets/zone copy.

Listing the Q for each PEQ, along with frequency and level, should be doable without introducing undesirable issues?

Replicating zones *is* time consuming and error prone (even in my 2-way active system, I can only imagine how hard that must be with your setup).  

Another way to do it is through convolution filters, which can be saved and modified as presets outside of JRiver, but then applied by JRiver's DSP studio.  That's probably already occurred to you, but it's how I address this problem right now, so I thought I'd mention it. Using a tool like rePhase you can get your crossover and EQ settings dialed into a preset file, which you can then use to generate convolution filters, or modify it to generate alternate filters.  You can also use convolution configuration text files to do channel routing and delay.  

You could then switch between them by either creating four or five zones that just apply the different convolution filters you created, or switch convolution filters within the same zone.  There are obvious disadvantages to convolution (latency, etc.), but it would allow you a more convenient way to save and load crossover, eq, and delay presets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up