INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please excuse me - I'm stupid...  (Read 3049 times)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
Please excuse me - I'm stupid...
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:30:28 am »

I'm moving to JRiver/Mac from iTunes because iT kept deleting my music.  I now have a crate of CDs that I want to rip to JR, but I'm confused about how to do it.  I looked at the support help, but all of the support files are for the JR Windows version.  My Mac JR Alpha doesn't have many of the things that the support FAQ mentions.

In short:  When using iTunes, every time I inserted a CD into the drive, IT automatically looked up the album name & track names from the internet.  It then allowed me to select some or all of the tracks for ripping.  It then let me verify the format that I'd be ripping to.

When using JR/Mac, every time I insert a CD into the drive, nothing happens.  I've gone through the configuration and told JR what format I want to use, but I'm apparently missing something obvious about how to import with JR.

Please forgive my newbie stupidity and clue me in as to how to rip with JR/Mac.

Thanks - Boomzilla

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Please excuse me - I'm stupid...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:08 am »

Welcome.

Your title made me laugh.  Thanks.

The Mac version of MC does not yet support ripping and burning CDs.

We hope this will appear in the next few months (from what we can tell, SCSI communication on Mac requires a kernel driver so is a bit complicated).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:57:13 am »

I'm moving to JRiver/Mac from iTunes because iT kept deleting my music.  I now have a crate of CDs that I want to rip to JR, but I'm confused about how to do it.  I looked at the support help, but all of the support files are for the JR Windows version.  My Mac JR Alpha doesn't have many of the things that the support FAQ mentions.

In short:  When using iTunes, every time I inserted a CD into the drive, IT automatically looked up the album name & track names from the internet.  It then allowed me to select some or all of the tracks for ripping.  It then let me verify the format that I'd be ripping to.

When using JR/Mac, every time I insert a CD into the drive, nothing happens.  I've gone through the configuration and told JR what format I want to use, but I'm apparently missing something obvious about how to import with JR.

Please forgive my newbie stupidity and clue me in as to how to rip with JR/Mac.

Thanks - Boomzilla

The title is funny isn't it :)  Until MC has ripping activated I suggest using XLD.  XLD is the standard bitperfect ripping software for Macs.  Place the CD in the drive, XLD will detect the CD, autopopulate various fields if it can find the meta data online and then you rip!  There are preference settings that give you control over output formats and the like.  If you need help, send me a PM and I will send you a quick install guide.

Once you have your music ripped and tagged as you like, I suggest removing write access to the files.  I have done this when software or family members became creative with the files :)  iTunes and MC need read access only.  N.B.  doing so eliminates your ability to "on the fly" edit tags and other meta data fields.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:08 am »

High Boomzilla, do you have everything already ripped in iTunes right now?  If so, you could just use that until the ripping is available.

Good to see you over here...

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »

...The Mac version of MC does not yet support ripping and burning CDs...

THANKS - I don't feel so stupid now.  I kept looking for some setting that I'd missed & just didn't find it.  Now I know why.

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:08:01 pm »

...Until MC has ripping activated I suggest using XLD..

Thanks - I can do that.  Of course, that begs the question:  Once I've ripped a CD using XLD, do I have to go and import each and every one manually into JRiver?

...Once you have your music ripped and tagged as you like, I suggest removing write access to the files...

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!  That is an absolutely EXCELLENT suggestion, and one that I'd never thought of.  I've not got 25,000 songs to change access on, but the results should be worth the effort.

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:15:45 pm »

Thanks - I can do that.  Of course, that begs the question:  Once I've ripped a CD using XLD, do I have to go and import each and every one manually into JRiver?

You will need to import them, yes, but you won't have to do it entirely manually.  Point MC to the top most directory of the music and you will be all set.

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!  That is an absolutely EXCELLENT suggestion, and one that I'd never thought of.  I've not got 25,000 songs to change access on, but the results should be worth the effort.

You are welcome.  This is an absolute life saver for me.  The amount of time it takes for me to rip and properly tag my very large and elaborate classical library is incredible.  Having to do it again would cause me to stroke.

You won't have to do all songs manually.  The easiest way to do it is to get info on the top most folder and then, with "include subfolders" checked, you change the permissions of the folder and everything within it is recursively changed as well. 

Once finished, head to Disk Utility and verify permissions to ensure it all worked well.  You should be safe after this!

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:37:34 pm »

You will need to import them, yes, but you won't have to do it entirely manually.  Point MC to the top most directory of the music and you will be all set.

If I point JRiver to the TOP directory on the drive, is JRiver (Mac Alpha) smart enough to JUST import the new material in the directory, or will it import a duplicate copy of everything it already has indexed?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:40:25 pm »

It will import any new media specified in the auto-import folder settings for the specified file types.  So long as file paths have not changed, it will not re-imported files already in the Library.

It is probably not a good idea to add the root of the filesystem.  The mount point of a media-only drive would be fine.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up