INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I switch ASPI on and off in MJ?  (Read 1229 times)

Sentient

• Recent member
  • AerospaceSpace, Folk Music
How do I switch ASPI on and off in MJ?
« on: April 02, 2002, 02:58:03 pm »

Buried deep at the bottom of another thread about getting rips to work better, Doof suggested:

Hmm... what mode do you have your CD's set up for, ASPI or IDE? Whichever one it is, try the other. I had a problem just listening to CD's in MJ8 because I was trying to use ASPI, but when I switched to IDE (actually I let MJ autodetect it and it chose IDE) the problem went away. If you are using ASPI (like if MJ autodetects and chooses that option) you may also want to try installing the latest ASPI update that's available from Roxio. Somewhere here in Interact is a link to it. If you do a search you should be able to find it.

Could someone explain how or where I make MJ switch between ASPI and direct IDE interfaces?  I didn't see anything obvious when I did a re-install.  I don't know whether MJ is using ASPI right now or not, but I do know that I have dll files with ASPI in their names in my windows directories.

I am starting a new thread in hopes that my question will be seen.

Thanks,

Sentient
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:How do I switch ASPI on and off in MJ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 03:14:10 pm »

when you go to the burner setting is generic checked?

if it is not then it is using the golden hawk burner that must use ASPI, if generic is check then it is using the J river In House burner that does not need ASPI.

As far as i know
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sentient

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2002, 03:24:21 pm »

Burner Settings, hmmmm.  OK, Now when I switch Burner setting to generic does it effect whether the reader uses ASPI or not?  My problem is with ripping.
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 06:00:12 am »

If you are running Win9X, MJ always uses aspi. If you are running WinNT/2K/XP, go to "devices settings" and select either "aspi" or "ide" in the drive type box. MJ auto-detects and selects one of the two, but you can try the other if you are having problems. Of course to select aspi, aspi must be installed. Here's the link to Adaptecs latest aspi software:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70#Microsoft%20Windows%202000
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Sentient

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 06:26:30 am »

Thank you John.  I run win98se.

Last night I tried using the generic driver as suggested in the previous post.  I saw playback instability after ripping one CD and got the crash near the end of the second.  That is the earliest crash I have seen to date.  After that I ran Aspichk and it thought I had windows 95 and that it was configured incorrectly.  I downloaded 4.70 and ran it's aspichk which reported I was running win98 and that it was configured correctly.  So much for consistency.  I installed 4.70 anyway.

I ripped one CD overnight and started a second this morning before leaving for work.  I will know later today whether it is working better or not.

Sentient
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2002, 06:29:47 am »

I remember getting involved in this thread, and then going away for a couple of days and when I came back I couldn't remember what the thread was to continue. Sorry about that. Next Page

Sentient

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2002, 10:13:38 am »

Updating ASPI helps.  I am torture testing it now.
Thanks for the advice.  I should have tried that first.
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2002, 10:37:23 am »

I'm confused. Maybe someone can help!

I want to be able to burn a CD crossfaded with no gaps between the tracks. I was told that I need to select the generic driver in the burner settings.

The problem is that the generic driver is grayed out and can't be selected.

I downloaded the ASPI drivers from above and selecting either IDE or ASPI appears to make no difference.

I'm running XP.
Namaste,
John

Sentient

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2002, 06:49:31 pm »

I was able to rip 5 discs in a row with no sign of my original problem.  I have crashed MJ twice now with what appear to be unrelated gui issues.  As far as unstable playback and crashes during rip are concerned I think I can say ASPI 4.70 fixed me right up.

Case Closed.
Sentient,

and darn proud of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up