INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art - sizing?  (Read 1613 times)

Gatobrit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
Cover art - sizing?
« on: April 02, 2002, 05:01:12 am »

Hi - I have downloaded a lot of cover art recently but the images are different sizes. This tends to screw up the track info templates. Is there any way of rendering the images so that they are a consistent size?
Namaste,
John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:Cover art - sizing?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 05:28:51 am »

There's 3 possibilities here.

1. Let the image display as it will. This, as you've seen, will screw up a lot of Track Info templates.
2. Force the image to a certain size. This will work well with images that are bigger than that set size, but images that are smaller will look like crap.
3. Use a script that forces large images to fit a certain size, but leave small images alone. This is, in my opinion, the best solution as it won't mess up Track Info's and it won't make smaller images look like crap.

Currently, there are only two Track Info templates that do #3. They are both (I'm about to toot my own horn here) created by me. Actually, they're just the DJ and Dreamstate templates provided by JRiver that I modified slightly. I'll give the script to anybody who wants it. In my opinion, everybody creating TrackInfos that uses coverart should use it in order to keep the nice and neat appearance of the template. Dreamstate looks really bad when confronted with a large cover art image, for instance.

You can download the templates if you like.

http://doof.webryders.com/MJ/Downloads/TrackInfos/MDJ.mjp
http://doof.webryders.com/MJ/Downloads/TrackInfos/MDS.mjp

sekim

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2002, 05:31:32 am »

Gatobrit

If you open an image in MS paint you can change the attributes. Check one of the images that does work for you and change the offending ones to that size. This program is on just about every windows machine there is. If you had a different graphics program you should also be able to do it in one of them. I happen to have Photoshop Elements, but I think the free irfanview will do this also. See thread Top Secret, Scronch put a link to it.

Gatobrit

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2002, 05:42:57 am »

Doof - OK. I see that your track info templates work well with my goofy images. Now comes the hard part (for me) - the Dirt Simple track info template works really well with ZRocker's lower left mini-me but it needs to scale the image correctly like your templates. I know. I'm never satisfied.

MachineHead - Yeah, I can examine each image and the change the ones that are screwed up. It seems to me that some kind of programatic solution (like Doof's) is preferrable.
Namaste,
John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 05:53:10 am »

I can take a look at Dirt Simple and use my script to scale the image correctly for the LowerLeft skin. But wouldn't it actually be easier to just create a vis for that? Try this...

http://doof.webryders.com/MJ/Downloads/Vis/CoverArt.mjv

You'll have to right click on that URL and select Save Target As... or whatever works for your browser. For me, it just displays the contents of the .mjv (I haven't made a .mjp for it yet).

Gatobrit

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2002, 06:07:46 am »

Doof - I copied this to the visualizations direcotory and when I selected it MJ died a horrible death. I guess I don't know what to do with the file.
Namaste,
John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 06:47:54 am »

Weird, it works fine here.

Well, just do this. Open Visualization Studio, start a new Vis, and then insert Image. That's all it is, really. Maybe there's just something your system doesn't like about my download.

Gatobrit

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2002, 06:55:41 am »

Doof - after MJ crashed I restarted and then selected CoverArt and it works fine. Odd. Anyway, I now get scaled cover art and ZRocker's mini-me look excellent.

Thanks for your help!
Namaste,
John

sekim

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2002, 07:56:34 am »

Doof

It looks like your templates are misnamed. I tried the .MDS one and it comes up as a DJ template. May want to check for yourself.

Gatobrit

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2002, 08:03:02 am »

Doof - There is small problem with your vis. When a song plays for which there is no album cover it places the MJ surf board picture over the top of the previous cover.

Is there anything you can do about it?
Namaste,
John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2002, 09:05:14 am »

Gatobrit> Ok, it's fixed. Download it again and it should be fine.

MachineHead> Okay, I know what's going on, but I don't know why. Apparently MJ is installing the package into "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Visualizations\Track Info\Modified DJ\Modified DJ" instead of just "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Visualizations\Track Info\Modified DJ" (same for Modified Dreamstate). If you move all the files up one level, it should work. If something different is happening for you, let me know.

sekim

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2002, 09:49:36 am »

Doof

That seemed to do the trick. Now it shows up as Modified Dreamstate.

Gatobrit

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2002, 10:58:10 am »

Doof - excellent! Thanks for the quick response!!!
Namaste,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up