INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 using USB3.0 port?  (Read 2231 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
MC18 using USB3.0 port?
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:52:59 am »

Just installed a USB3.0 expansion card in my Dell desktop.  Device Manager indicates install fine and device working properly.  Was going to do it anyway for future use but it was suggested that it would be a separate USB bus for communication for MC18 with my USB DAC.  Running MC18.0.158 on Win7-64 bit.  Playback is fine when DAC is connected to USB2.0 port but get a Windows BSOD when I try to use the 3.0 port and system needs restart.    System recovers OK (I think!) but would like to know what may be causing this failure.  3.0 port works fine with thumbdrive and files can be accessed.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 using USB3.0 port?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:52 pm »

This would usually point to an issue with your USB 3.0 driver, or the driver for your USB DAC. I would check for updates for either.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:34 pm »

This would usually point to an issue with your USB 3.0 driver, or the driver for your USB DAC. I would check for updates for either.

Appreciate the leads...  USB3.0 drivers are the latest.  Mytek driver SHOULD be since recent install on this PC but am in process of checking.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:15 am »

Is USB3.0 supported by Dell for your desktop ? Can you use it with an USB3.0 external harddisc ?
Having a Dell desktop myself, I am struggling with compatibility issues with Windows 8 and SSD drives.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:04:45 am »

Is USB3.0 supported by Dell for your desktop ? Can you use it with an USB3.0 external harddisc ?
Having a Dell desktop myself, I am struggling with compatibility issues with Windows 8 and SSD drives.

These expansion cards are usually just slot in for any computer that has a spare PCIe slot.  You don't need support directly from Dell as that's the point of having such a spare expansion slot, you can put what evers available in it.

That said USB 3.0 cards are a bit hit and miss.  I've tried one on my Dell machine and found it just caused me more problems than it solved so eventually took it out.
USB 3.0 hard drives are backwards compatible with USB 2.0, they just run at USB 2.0 speeds.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:44:22 am »

I am almost convinced that USB3 needs support from the Bios and Chipset/drivers for the Motherboard, even though its standard PCI interface allows it to be plugged in.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:41:34 am »

Since Dell is OPTIPLEX 3010 (pro) machine, would hope that is supports USB3.0 but DO NOT know for sure.  USB3.0 port works with thumbdrive...do not know about external or SSD.  Not happy about the "hit-or-miss" issue since I did get it from DELL with them fully knowing what the 3010 configuration is!  Sounds like a tech call to India to me to find out about the Bios and Chipset/drivers but IT does work with (less demanding?) thumbdrive.

My DAC runs USB2.0 so OK with fact that 3.0 port would only transmit at 2.0 speeds...as long as it does not shut down the PC!   :(

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:56:31 am »

What happens if you connect your DAC with one of the builtin USB2 ports ?

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:09:49 pm »

What happens if you connect your DAC with one of the builtin USB2 ports ?

DAC works fine with any of the 2.0 ports, both before and after installing the 3.0 expansion card (which happens to be a "StarTech.com 2 Port PCI Express Super Speed USB3.0 Card (Part# PEXUSB3S2).

Other than an external HDD, do not have any other USB devices,  either 3.0 or 2.0.

I read that USB3.0 has a recommended cable length of 10' max.  Does this hold IF the 3.0 port is used as a 2.0?

While cable length might impact data transfer, would it be expected to cause OS failure?

Signed "Not A Computer Guy, Just An Audiophile"

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:13:03 pm »

There shouldn't be any need for "bios" or "motherboard" support for USB3. It's a PCI-E expansion card and should work on any system that you can plug it into.
BSODs usually indicate hardware failures or bad drivers - I would be leaning towards the latter - either it's the expansion card, or the DAC drivers at fault. You may also have to update the firmware on the expansion card.

If your DAC is working fine on a USB2 port, the simple solution seems to be to use that. There's no benefit to plugging in USB2 devices into a USB3 port, and I have seen it cause problems in the past (but not BSODs) even though it's technically supposed to be backwards compatible.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:59:04 pm »

There shouldn't be any need for "bios" or "motherboard" support for USB3. It's a PCI-E expansion card and should work on any system that you can plug it into.
BSODs usually indicate hardware failures or bad drivers - I would be leaning towards the latter - either it's the expansion card, or the DAC drivers at fault. You may also have to update the firmware on the expansion card.

If your DAC is working fine on a USB2 port, the simple solution seems to be to use that. There's no benefit to plugging in USB2 devices into a USB3 port, and I have seen it cause problems in the past (but not BSODs) even though it's technically supposed to be backwards compatible.

I was told that using the USB3.0 bus would provide the transfer of data with a path separate (and cleaner?) from the USB2.0 bus used for other devices, e.g., keyboard, mouse, etc.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »

One of the specs for USB2 I noticed, was that it has an transmission error rate of less than one pr. month. I would not blame USB for not transferring data correctly.
The built-in USB2 has several USB hosts, so maybe you can reach your goal of separating usb devices with them ?

Did you connect an extra power cable to the Molex socket on the adapter ? The manual says something about that it should, if you connect devices that gets its power from the USB connection.
The latest driver on startech.com has version 3.0.16.0. I guess that this is the on you are using otherwise try it.
Windows asks you if you want to send an error report to Microsoft after an BSOD. Did you try that ? The answer you get back might include information about which driver that crashes.

Sorry if this sounds like a wild goose chase.  :)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 01:38:50 pm »

One of the specs for USB2 I noticed, was that it has an transmission error rate of less than one pr. month. I would not blame USB for not transferring data correctly.
The built-in USB2 has several USB hosts, so maybe you can reach your goal of separating usb devices with them ?

Did you connect an extra power cable to the Molex socket on the adapter ? The manual says something about that it should, if you connect devices that gets its power from the USB connection.
The latest driver on startech.com has version 3.0.16.0. I guess that this is the on you are using otherwise try it.
Windows asks you if you want to send an error report to Microsoft after an BSOD. Did you try that ? The answer you get back might include information about which driver that crashes.

Sorry if this sounds like a wild goose chase.  :)

Don't consider this chasing geese since it gives me questions to ask techs at Dell, StarTech, etc., ...so thanks!

Not worried about the slower data transfer or error rate of 2.0, just want to take advantage of the separate 3.0 bus if possible.

Not sure there is a way to isolate a USB2.0 connector, etc., to give me the equivalent of a separate bus like the expansion card does OR that I would want to mess with doing so myself if there was.

Saw the note about power to the Molex but DAC is self-powered so should not be an issue.

When Win7 reboots, no message re error report to MS but a box comes up to search for a fix or information on what failed but progress bar completes and no message on culprit  is shown...box just closes!?

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 02:52:51 pm »

There is an option to stop the system from rebooting automatically if there is a BSOD (Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Start-up and Recovery > "Automatically Restart") and it should also write the error to the system log.

Using an external USB2 card would also have put the DAC on a separate bus, and you may want to check your motherboard to see if all its ports are run off the same controller.
Are you actually running into problems when playing music via USB with other USB devices connected though? I don't think stereo audio requires that much bandwidth.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to get to the bottom of this though, because it's obviously not working as it should.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 03:55:19 pm »

There is an option to stop the system from rebooting automatically if there is a BSOD (Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Start-up and Recovery > "Automatically Restart") and it should also write the error to the system log.

Using an external USB2 card would also have put the DAC on a separate bus, and you may want to check your motherboard to see if all its ports are run off the same controller.
Are you actually running into problems when playing music via USB with other USB devices connected though? I don't think stereo audio requires that much bandwidth.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to get to the bottom of this though, because it's obviously not working as it should.

Did not know that.  Good tip since system reboots faster than I can read the BSOD screen!

Will check on the ports to see if all connected to same controller when I "look under the hood"!

Using the PC running JRiver Music Center to feed 24/96 and DSD files to external DAC which is part of audio system but not knowledgeable about what bandwith is needed vs what I have.

"Inquiring minds need to know" if this is doable or not!
Pages: [1]   Go Up