INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting rules in Theater View  (Read 1154 times)

CudB

• Recent member
Setting rules in Theater View
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »

I've created a custom field called "Substyle" which I use Theater View.

However, not all files utilize the "Substyle" field.  For instance, if a composer only wrote 1 String Quartet, I don't use the field, but if they wrote 2 or more, I will use that field to designate #1 or #2.

Is there a way I can set the rules for file display in theater view so that IF the field "Substyle" is empty, that it will skip this field entirely and not read as "unassigned"?

Thank you

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Setting rules in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »

In Set rules for file display in your Theater View view:

Tools > Options > Theater View > Items To Show > ...

select the item you want to customize to exclude empty Substyles, click Set rules for file display, and add a rule Substyle is not <empty>.  OK your way out, and now those items should no longer appear in that view.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:39:25 pm »

Thank you, but this method appears to hide the items completely in theater view, which isn't exactly what I want.  I am looking for the items to still show, but the field to be ignored.

So if I have a composer who has a STYLE field of "Symphony" and a SUBSTYLE field of "#1" "#2" "#3" it will show SYMPHONY and then lead to #1, #2, #3

But at the same time if they only wrote 1 Piano Sonata and I have a STYLE field of "Piano Sonata" but no substyle field because it is not necessary here, I would like the Piano Sonata to lead to the ARTIST field and skip over the substyle field.  Instead of doing this, Theater View seems to allow for me to click the PIANO SONATA and still leads to ARTIST, BUT....rather than showing "PIANO SONATA" it shows "Unassigned" up on top because the substyle field does not list anything.  Is there anyway to avoid this from happening?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

Can you explain how your view is setup?

Empty categories should be skipped, so if you have:

Details
   -----------
   Composer
   Style
   Substyle

and Substyle has a value, you'll see the Substyle items of #1, #2, and #3.  If it is empty, MC should skip that level and go to the next level which will be the file list, or the next configured category.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »

Can you explain how your view is setup?

Empty categories should be skipped, so if you have:

Details
   -----------
   Composer
   Style
   Substyle

and Substyle has a value, you'll see the Substyle items of #1, #2, and #3.  If it is empty, MC should skip that level and go to the next level which will be the file list, or the next configured category.

It does precisely what you are saying EXCEPT at the top scroll bar, rather than showing the STYLE FIELD, it shows the SUBSTYLE FIELDS as "Unassigned"

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »

Which version of MC are you on?  if not the latest, you should update.

If this isn't the issue, please explain (or show via screenshot) how your Theater View is configured for the problem area.  I don't see what you are seeing.

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:19 pm »

I had the latest (2 days ago) but i found it far too buggy.  It wouldn't import all my audio files, so I went back to MC17.  To be clear, I was using the very latest version of MC18, but it did not work properly and I wasn't using it any different than I use MC17, so I reverted back to MC17.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »

Well, OK, but you've posted this in MC18, so this was a big tail-chaser.

So, you'll need to go back to 18.  There were many Theater View changes for level-skips, such as:

18.0.66 (10/30/2012)

10. Changed: When skipping navigation levels that only contain one choice in Theater View, the title at the top shows the text of the item you picked instead of the text of the skipped item.

Do you have a thread about MC 18 not importing your audio files (if so, link it here; if not, it would be worth posting the details).

CudB

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »

Well, OK, but you've posted this in MC18, so this was a big tail-chaser.

So, you'll need to go back to 18.  There were many Theater View changes for level-skips, such as:

Do you have a thread about MC 18 not importing your audio files (if so, link it here; if not, it would be worth posting the details).

You are correct, I made the mistake of posting it here.

On a different note, I did post a thread about my problem importing files, but there was no solution yet found and I gave up and reverted to MC17

Here is my thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79599.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up