INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pops and Cracks using WASAPI Loopback  (Read 1808 times)

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
Pops and Cracks using WASAPI Loopback
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:18:11 am »

i have been trying to learn how to use loopback to adjust parametric equalizer using REW.  I want to understand this before moving onto convolution.  I actually have most of it working and am very pleased with the results.

There is one issue I cannot figure out.  When using loopback with entered results for either the parametric equalizer or room correction, I cannot play anything though REW using loopback with significant crackles and pops.  If I turn off Eq or Room Correction, all sweeps and RTA work perfectly from REW via loopback.

I will add that if I turn off loopback and play music/movies normally with my P.Eq or R.C. settings, everything plays perfectly.

I am using latest version of JRiver.  I am outputting through hdmi to Onkyo 5009. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with using onboard realtek soundcard.  My mic (CM-140) is going through the card.  Not sure how the interaction with the card is with loopback.  That card is set as default for loopback to work.

Would I be better off getting a good ASIO separate soundcard or do I have a different issue.

Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Pops and Cracks using WASAPI Loopback
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »

i have been trying to learn how to use loopback to adjust parametric equalizer using REW.  I want to understand this before moving onto convolution.  I actually have most of it working and am very pleased with the results.

There is one issue I cannot figure out.  When using loopback with entered results for either the parametric equalizer or room correction, I cannot play anything though REW using loopback with significant crackles and pops.  If I turn off Eq or Room Correction, all sweeps and RTA work perfectly from REW via loopback.

I will add that if I turn off loopback and play music/movies normally with my P.Eq or R.C. settings, everything plays perfectly.

I am using latest version of JRiver.  I am outputting through hdmi to Onkyo 5009. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with using onboard realtek soundcard.  My mic (CM-140) is going through the card.  Not sure how the interaction with the card is with loopback.  That card is set as default for loopback to work.

Would I be better off getting a good ASIO separate soundcard or do I have a different issue.

Thanks

I get occasional clicks, pops, and cracks when running sweeps through loopback, but it sounds like you're getting more than that.  A few troubleshooting steps I'd try:

1) Do any of your PEQ filters add gain to the signal?  Do you have software volume set to full? If the answer to both questions is yes, you may be pushing the signal into clipping, especially if you're playing the sweeps at high volume.  Try switching to internal volume and turning it down, running the sweeps at lower levels, configuring your EQ to use less gain, or some combination of the above.

2) Have you tried turning down your mic gain/level?  That shouldn't be relevant to your output, but too high mic gain can cause weird results sometimes.

3) Do you have a different sound output device that you can set as the default for loopback purposes? I'm not sure that's your problem, but it'd be worth checking to make sure.  If you have a second HDMI out you could try connecting that directly to your TV to temporarily create another "dummy" sound output to use for loopback.

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Pops and Cracks using WASAPI Loopback
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:31:01 am »

If I understand you correctly, you're using the card set for output in MC as the default Windows device as well? I can't see how that would work at all with loopback . What output format are you using?

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
Re: Pops and Cracks using WASAPI Loopback
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:08 pm »

I have inboard Realtek sound card.  Using Realtek for mic input.  Both video and audio is output through separate hdmi to onyko.  Hdmi is mc18 output device.  The Realtek is set as windows default to capture windows audio.  The Realtek is also default for rew.  This allows loop back capture by mc18.  At least that's how I understand it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up