INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Container/Codec video/lossless audio in JRiver/VJ software from a PC  (Read 5361 times)

elviscaprice

• Recent member

Hello fellow JRiver members,
I'm looking for some recommendations for building my library of promo videos to playback in JRiver and a VJ software.  I use PC and would like to hook up to a Plasma/LD TV or Monitor for viewing.  Most of my material is already in MPEG 2 and works great.  It's the new material that I put together in Adobe Premiere CC that I am pondering about for choices.   I am only concerned with playing from a HDD, thus DVD/BR do not concern me.  
I have many different master sources to work from, each probably dictating the type of container/codec to use.  My biggest concern is the lossless Hi Res audio files that I would like to use for audio with the video muxed.  Here are some of the parameters, which container/codec works best for JRiver PC play? Best quality video for the space?  
Progressive 24bit 48khz lossless files to what container/codec with compressed video, lossless audio?
Interlaced 24bit 48khz lossless files to what container/codec with compressed video, lossless audio?

Thank You      8) Elvis

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

The great thing about MC is that it will happily play any of the std combinations of Container, Video / Audio format.  Given you don't seem to have any need for Subtitles, Chapter etc most containers would be fine but I'd still lean towards MKV due as the container as it is the most flexible of the lot.  When it comes to what Video / Audio format to use, I'd suggest keeping whatever it was originally produced in (to prevent any generational loss from transcoding).  These can all be muxed into the MKV Container and MC will decoder and render them.  Again - if you pressed for a "one" I'd suggest h.264/AVC for video and FLAC for Audio.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Sorry - I missed the bit about needing to be compatible with "VJ software" - it may have some real limits (unlike MC) on Formats, do you know what it supports as this could force you down a particular path.
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Sorry - I missed the bit about needing to be compatible with "VJ software" - it may have some real limits (unlike MC) on Formats, do you know what it supports as this could force you down a particular path.

Sensible comment. I can find at least 2 platforms calling itself "VJ software" (undoubtedly more):
http://resolume.com/software/
http://vj-dj.arkaos.net/arkaos-vjdj
VJ is a generic term:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VJing

Specific information will get you specific advice.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

elviscaprice

• Recent member

No problem, thanks for the reply.  I am debating a new VJ software, but to be truthful my primary concern is JRiver playback.  I was debating the MKV container with the .264 codec, especially for Progressive originals.  But also was considering Quicktime mov. for my container, again with the .264 codec, this container would probably be more versatile for any other media players?  For interlaced, probably the same.  Of course I'm just talking about those files I create from Lossless backup material and yes definitely keep the same properties from the originals.
Ahh, I see now that the nice feature with MKV container would be the ability to use FLAC lossless.   Humm, nice for saving space, but I would probably be safer with WAV again for versatility.  

Thanks   Elvis

Never know what is new out there?  Gotta ask.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

If you are worried about broad compatibility (and not flexibility) I'd go M2TS for the Container, 264/AVC for Video and LPCM for your Lossless Audio.  It is a core spec for BD, AVCHD etc so should playback on most modern devices though apple likes the MP4 container better.

As MC is your focus you can mix and match pretty much anything without a worry and just enjoy the content!
JRiver CEO Elect

elviscaprice

• Recent member

I would like to give the MKV container a try but the more I read it sounds like Adobe Premiere CC doesn't support it?  Argggg, should would be nice to do it all in Adobe.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

While MKV is a "freeware" spec not all packages supporting it - hence the suggestion of picking a Container and Video / Audio spec that your preferred authoring / playback software likes.  M2TS still sounding good.
JRiver CEO Elect

elviscaprice

• Recent member

Well, neither MKV or M2TS sound like they are supported by Adobe Encoder CC.  Looks like my only choices in Premiere are MOV or WMV containers for a 264 codec and lossless 24 bit wav audio.  Both play in JRiver.  Also I have plenty of lossless video codecs to choose from, but this is more for processing work, not final file playing.  Looks like I'm in the wrong software?  
       8)  Elvis

Hendrik

• Administrator

MOV/MP4 is an OK choice for such processing software, so go with that if thats what works.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

elviscaprice

• Recent member

MOV/MP4 is an OK choice for such processing software, so go with that if thats what works.

MOV it shall be with the h.264 codec 24bit 48khz wav

Thank You all for the suggestions and reaffirmations.  JRiver Media player is one fine piece of software.

8)  Elvis         
Pages: [1]   Go Up