INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Blu Ray Support  (Read 1848 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
3D Blu Ray Support
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:11:01 am »

I ran a search to see if there was any mention of 3D Blu Ray support and all I could find was a post by nevcairiel in the MC17 board that it was not supported and that another program would be required. Is this still the case?

In looking at  this http://www.jriver.com/video.html, it states "JRiver Media Center offers the highest quality video available. And it plays everything, without any setup required". I would consider a 3D Blu Ray disc a subset of the "everything" category.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 3D Blu Ray Support
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:13:23 am »

There is no native support for 3D Blu-ray.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:19:33 am »

Matt, are there any plans?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:24:23 am »

I hope that there are.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:22 am »

Matt, are there any plans?

I bought a 3d projector and find this area interesting.  But there's no easy path right now, because 3d is a little messy at the hardware level.

For example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75248.msg510263#msg510263

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:21 am »

Thanks for the reply. I've been loyal to MC (since MJ5) and will continue to be. As I use MC primarily for music, it's still the best music organizer and offers the most customization for playlist/smartlists. It's unfortunate that I now have to have a different media player to play these discs... never mind that MC is supposed to play it all. Maybe in the future, support will be added for this readily available media format.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:24:47 am »

never mind that MC is supposed to play it all

All is such a big word.

I lobbied with the marketing guys to say "MC is the one that plays quite a bit"  ;)

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:35:15 am »

Thanks for the reply. I've been loyal to MC (since MJ5) and will continue to be. As I use MC primarily for music, it's still the best music organizer and offers the most customization for playlist/smartlists. It's unfortunate that I now have to have a different media player to play these discs... never mind that MC is supposed to play it all. Maybe in the future, support will be added for this readily available media format.
You could Use arcsoft's tmt and use it as external player for 3d bluray's in MC in the meantime.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:51 am »

Matt, I like that!   ;D

eddyshere, thanks but I've already got PowerDVD for that purpose on my laptop. I would have preferred to use MC, though.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:45:47 pm »

I bought a 3d projector and find this area interesting.  But there's no easy path right now, because 3d is a little messy at the hardware level.

True but in the meantime we could have MC manage this a bit better like:

At present we can not play 3D BD in MC, only licenced players like TMT can do this but I've got a clever plan till we wait for LAV/madVR support for 3D that should be easy to identify and kick off the embedded versions of TMT etc just for BD 3D playback.

There has been a bit of traffic on the AnyDVD HD JRiver MC thread on how to get this done.  I've tested this with batch files and it seems to work (but who really knows!)

Can JR:
1) add a new File Type called "3D-Blu Ray".  The default "Playback Method" would be "Automatic" (and RO would play it as a 2D Disk thanks to LAV) but if a user selected "External Program (Custom)" we could then put in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 5\uMCEPlayer5.exe"  MC would need to add the drive identifier as the "Argument"
2) On inserting a BD (or mounting it) Identification that it is a 3D BD disk is easy as it has a folder called "\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF" which is not on 2D disks

The great thing about the uMCEPlaer5.exe version is that it is designed to be called by other progs (MCE in particular) so when you press the "Back / Backspace" button it exits and returns you to MC!

Brilliant or What!
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »

I'm kind of taking the opposite approach of Matt's... I'm waiting for MC to have 3D support, even with the method jmone put forward above, before I invest in 3D hardware.

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »

I would sure second the "work-around" solution proposed by jmone.  While I have 3d playing from mc18 using tmt5,  it is overly complex to setup.

I have to rename the .iso files to a different extension,  when mc18 loads those files it executes a batch file (based on extension).  This in turn mounts the file and starts playback in tmt5.

Jmones solution would be much simpler and I don't think too difficult to implement.  Didn't Matt add convolution in a couple days.  He has set the bar pretty high for himself.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:06:33 pm »

Yeah it would be very easy to add (I love saying that as I'm not the one coding it) but Matt only has 1 x 3D BD so I don't think he sees that demand as all that high.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up